Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Disconnected charging system, I dont have that arcing anymore going on but my bike is basically on twin mode right now.

Cylinder 1 and 3 will steam no problem but 2 and 4 are not.

This would mean it most likely wouldnt be coilpacks but either the positive or negative side of things is not working correctly.

Went ahead and turned the bars side to side but nothing changed, but I guess it wouodnt seeing that I'm on twin mode and not running on all 4.

Other than a dyna ignition failing what could it be? Everything is connected securely.

Did the running stator test I get readings of about 85acv. Saw 90 but I'm guessing you want high readings not low

Was revving it to five and one cylinder (4) turned on but 2 didnt really. Gonna just prime it more and see if that makes a difference but I don't think it will.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Well heres something odd, I said 2 didnt wanna turn on but 4 did, now it's the opposite. 4 wont steam at all. 4 is the cylinder with a bit lower compression but not enough to mess anything up. Heres a video of the bike running today just 10 minutes ago.

I'm gonna swap 1 and 4s leads and see if anything changes.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

What's the battery voltage at during this? If battery voltage is adequate this sounds like a fuel or mechanical issue. You mention lower compression, how much lower is lower? More than 10%?

Comment

Yeah its mechanical forsure. Swapped the plug caps and nothing changed, swapped the spark plug and nothing changed.

Cylinder 1-3 have 150psi, cylinder 4 is 140psi.

Where should I start?

Fuel does get to the cylinder the spark did have some wetness to it.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          Where should I start?

If cylinder #4 had good spark like the rest of the cylinders, the wetness would have me starting with the carbs. The wetness can be from too much fuel. Even with good spark, having too much fuel will cause no/poor ignition that will leave the plugs wet with fuel.

Comment

Yeah its mechanical forsure. Swapped the plug caps and nothing changed, swapped the spark plug and nothing changed.

Cylinder 1-3 have 150psi, cylinder 4 is 140psi.

Where should I start?

Viewed from sitting on the bike, the left coil plug wires are connected to cylinders 1 and 4. The right side coil wires go to cylinders 2 and 3. You have the leads correct?
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              Viewed from sitting on the bike, the left coil plug wires are connected to cylinders 1 and 4. The right side coil wires go to cylinders 2 and 3. You have the leads correct?
              Yeah everything's correct, 4 just doesnt want to go. Swapped the leads around from 1 and 4 and swappeenthe work plug for one that surely works and nothing changed.

Lastnight I did a spray test on carb body 4 to make sure all circuits are clean and will operate properly, I dont know for sure if the pilot circuit was blocked at first but it definently is now. Gonna start up today and if in still running on 3 I'm gonna pull the plug cap off the spark plug just a bit in hopes of a better spark and an operating cylinder.

Fuel did get to the carb I just cant say if it got out.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Yeah everything's correct, 4 just doesnt want to go. Swapped the leads around from 1 and 4 and swappeenthe work plug for one that surely works and nothing changed.

Lastnight I did a spray test on carb body 4 to make sure all circuits are clean and will operate properly, I dont know for sure if the pilot circuit was blocked at first but it definently is now. Gonna start up today and if in still running on 3 I'm gonna pull the plug cap off the spark plug just a bit in hopes of a better spark and an operating cylinder.

Fuel did get to the carb I just cant say if it got out.

Do not run the engine without the plug caps in place. The caps are 5k ohm resistance and that is required unless you want to fry your ignitor/ignition. What you do is check the resistance in your plug caps. should be around 5k ohms if they are good to go. More than that replace them. Less than that replace them.
                Last edited by earlfor; 06-04-2021, 02:02 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Do not run the engine without the plug caps in place. The caps are 5k ohm resistance and that is required unless you want to fry your ignitor/ignition. What you do is check the resistance in your plug caps. should be around 5k ohms if they are good to go. More than that replace them. Less than that replace them.
                  No its be just a click off of being on there the full way, thatd be fine right because itd still make contact with the spark plug? One of them is about 5.7ohms but I thought thatd be fine.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

No its be just a click off of being on there the full way, thatd be fine right because itd still make contact with the spark plug? One of them is about 5.7ohms but I thought thatd be fine.
                    it's ok if the caps arent pushed completely down as long as there is good contact.

Comment

it's ok if the caps arent pushed completely down as long as there is good contact.
                      Okay, I'll be trying it soon. My freakin multimeter busted when I was trying to test the stator.

So I still have 3 cylinders operating as they should, and the fourth one still not. I did a spray test on the carb lastnight and everything was able to fully circuit through the body, I'm guessing it has to do with some weak spark or something.

I felt the header and it is hot but not hit enough to create steam. So I will try the plug cap trick.

My rev climb is gone.

When I tested the stator I was able to do two connections, one was reading 100acv at 5k and the other 85acv at 5k. I believe it was at 27acv at idle.

Is it shooting too high to be good?
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Okay, I'll be trying it soon. My freakin multimeter busted when I was trying to test the stator.

So I still have 3 cylinders operating as they should, and the fourth one still not. I did a spray test on the carb lastnight and everything was able to fully circuit through the body, I'm guessing it has to do with some weak spark or something.

I felt the header and it is hot but not hit enough to create steam. So I will try the plug cap trick.

My rev climb is gone.

When I tested the stator I was able to do two connections, one was reading 100acv at 5k and the other 85acv at 5k. I believe it was at 27acv at idle.

Is it shooting too high to be good?

The three legs should each be between 70 and 80v AC. all three legs have to be working properly for the system to charge normally. I would put a new stator on my list with those readings. The old one is probably the original anyway, so it doesn't owe you anything after 40 yers. lol If the stator isn't right, no R/R is going to work right.

Comment

The three legs should each be between 70 and 80v AC. all three legs have to be working properly for the system to charge normally. I would put a new stator on my list with those readings. The old one is probably the original anyway, so it doesn't owe you anything after 40 yers. lol If the stator isn't right, no R/R is going to work right.
                          You're going to have to work harder than giving him the standard forum replies. He's got a new Rick's stator and a new sh775 RR according to https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...hp?261156-Well

Need to separate the charging issue from the running issue and focus on and fix one at a time. Even better if someone could assist him in person, a quick search shows this bike has been an on-going saga for quite some time.

Comment

1 fires normal and 4 does not fire. I take it that means you swapped the 1 and 4 leads and 1 still fires normal and 4 still does not. Then there is nothing wrong with your coil, plug wires or plug caps. It is not an ignition problem.
                            Considering you have compression, it is not a valve adjustment problem..You have a carburetor problem or an induction problem. Have you installed new induction boot manifold O rings? They inset into a groove on the mating surface of the intake manifold/cylinder head junction. If you have not replaced them yet, I would replace all four. They too are probably 40 years old it is mandatory and they are about as pliable as concrete. They could be the primary reason for all your set up problems. After that, if the problem is still there, I would redo the #4 carb. Your problem is either the boot O rings or the carb.

And a vacuum carb synch is a MUST. Without one, it is going to run like CRAP no matter what else you do.
                            Do you know how to do one?
                            Last edited by earlfor; 06-05-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

1 fires normal and 4 does not fire. I take it that means you swapped the 1 and 4 leads and 1 still fires normal and 4 still does not. Then there is nothing wrong with your coil, plug wires or plug caps. It is not an ignition problem.
                              Considering you have compression, it is not a valve adjustment problem..You have a carburetor problem or an induction problem. Have you installed new induction boot manifold O rings? They inset into a groove on the mating surface of the intake manifold/cylinder head junction. If you have not replaced them yet, I would replace all four. They too are probably 40 years old it is mandatory and they are about as pliable as concrete. They could be the primary reason for all your set up problems. After that, if the problem is still there, I would redo the #4 carb. Your problem is either the boot O rings or the carb.

And a vacuum carb synch is a MUST. Without one, it is going to run like CRAP no matter what else you do.
                              Do you know how to do one?
                              I have new intake boots and I checked carb 4 by doing a spray test and it was able to pass every spray through the carbs circuit, I guess I'll see if spraying compressed air/carb cleaner from the mixture hole will free anything out but it did pass the test.

I put a little oil in the spark plug hole trying to free anything that might be stuck just to see if it helps.

My multimeter busted right after one of those stator readings so I'm not sure if its accurate, when i did the test the day or two before I had 85acv on the configurations and at one time 90. I'm gonna get a new multimeter first.

I have the carbtune and i understand how the vacuum sync goes i must never done it
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X