Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
    I did move them but if you're talking about getting rid of the second ground for the battery I have not done that yet. What's really odd to me is that it doesnt show it on the OEM blueprint. I wonder why it was even added or if my battery connections are aftermarket or from a different bike.
    Usually, the engineers that design wiring circuits know more about what is needed.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Nope. You did.
      What are you like 5 years old?

Well please educate me and the rest of us, why is that extra ground there on the battery terminal? It's on all my bikes and trucks, seems like a stupid way to waste money if it serves no purpose.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things requires a AA battery. The description details what the seller calls all three of these things https://www.harborfreight.com/circui...-pc-63612.html

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
        What are you like 5 years old?

Well please educate me and the rest of us, why is that extra ground there on the battery terminal? It's on all my bikes and trucks, seems like a stupid way to waste money if it serves no purpose.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things requires a AA battery. The description details what the seller calls all three of these things https://www.harborfreight.com/circui...-pc-63612.html

I have no interest in this silliness.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have no interest in this silliness.
          What you mean is you can't answer the question.

What's silly is to tell someone who can answer the question that they are wrong.

But it is true, your doubt in my skill set has no bearing on my expertise being useful to me.

Comment

What you mean is you can't answer the question.

What's silly is to tell someone who can answer the question that they are wrong.

But it is true, your doubt in my skill set has no bearing on my expertise being useful to me.

I said I have no interest in this conversation. Anything else is your imagination.

Comment

Deleted the secondary ground as the main one proves to be just fine. Gotta get my lazy @$$ to just hook it all up and start the bike.

Jeez what happened here lol. Dont care to intervene, glad I got the help I needed and glad I got a phone call to make the understanding easier.

Earl when I'm running I can make a good steak, even though steak is already good, you know what I mean!
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Deleted the secondary ground as the main one proves to be just fine. Gotta get my lazy @$$ to just hook it all up and start the bike.

Jeez what happened here lol. Dont care to intervene, glad I got the help I needed and glad I got a phone call to make the understanding easier.

Earl when I'm running I can make a good steak, even though steak is already good, you know what I mean!
                Sounds like a plan. heh Thanks

Comment

Well, I still dont have 4 cylinders operating at idle, but earlfors suggestion was nonetheless needed. He said my carbs need to be synced, which, they seriously did. The bubble for cylinder 4 was as high as it can go and the rest of the bubbles were close to the bottom, now they are all sitting right next to eachother, I definitely run smoother, my idle knob was able to be lowered, and theres not much else to sat, it's just alot smoother

Next I'll be swapping coil connections and seeing if the dead cylinder changes and after that if it doesnt I will have to figure out how to make sure fuel is in the cylinder, but I'll replace the spark plug before i check for fuel just to ensure it's nothing to do with the ignition.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Well, I still dont have 4 cylinders operating at idle, but earlfors suggestion was nonetheless needed. He said my carbs need to be synced, which, they seriously did. The bubble for cylinder 4 was as high as it can go and the rest of the bubbles were close to the bottom, now they are all sitting right next to eachother, I definitely run smoother, my idle knob was able to be lowered, and theres not much else to sat, it's just alot smoother

Next I'll be swapping coil connections and seeing if the dead cylinder changes and after that if it doesnt I will have to figure out how to make sure fuel is in the cylinder, but I'll replace the spark plug before i check for fuel just to ensure it's nothing to do with the ignition.
                    What RPM did you sync the carbs at and what rpm are you idling at? What were the results of your coil swap?

Comment

What RPM did you sync the carbs at and what rpm are you idling at? What were the results of your coil swap?
                      They were sitting about 1200 rpm and that's usually my idlespeed but I try to have it closer to 1100.

Didnt do the coil swap, actually, a new spark plug did the trick.

While that's the best thing to have to be replaced, I kinda make myself look dumb doing all this to have to change a spark plug. The reason I didnt change it for a new one is because i swapped the plug leads and it didnt change the dead cylinder, but then i took another plug i had, grounded it to engine and checked for spark which it had, and put that one in the engine and it still didnt turn the cylinder on, so that's why it took so long to get a new one. I replaced the other 3 seeing as the old plugs were all in the same condition and I may even run a bit better when the other 3 are changed.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

I'm wondering if you calibrated your manometer prior to the carb sync?
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                          I'm wondering if you calibrated your manometer prior to the carb sync?
                          The carbtune doesnt need to be calibrated before use, the exact model is carbtune pro
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Gonna do leakdown test, talked to dynatek and I timed it the way it is supposed to be, and they said it would need to be really off for the issue to be preignition. He said a intake valve clearance and a leakdown test are the two things to check and if not those just run it and see if it's from something in the cylinder, I'll check the timing before I bust run it to ensure but I know i did it right the first time and I had the timing ensured that it was fine by another user.

Maybe tomorrow I will have results from the leakdown test? If I need go do the rings, should i just bore it? The kits about 200. If I dont need to go past taking off the cylinder head to do the job I'll do it forsure. How much would a machine shop charge to bore out the engine?
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Gonna do leakdown test, talked to dynatek and I timed it the way it is supposed to be, and they said it would need to be really off for the issue to be preignition.
                              Engine not running, with test light, what static timing mark are you using?
                              Last edited by earlfor; 07-13-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Engine not running, with test light, what static timing mark are you using?
                                They said you go off of full advance which is what I timed mine off, but also the F mark. Both agreed over the phone the timing was set correctly and would need to be heaps off to do what my bikes doing. If any thing I'd be off a hair not an inch
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X