Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
    I have new intake boots and I checked carb 4 by doing a spray test and it was able to pass every spray through the carbs circuit, I guess I'll see if spraying compressed air/carb cleaner from the mixture hole will free anything out but it did pass the test.

I put a little oil in the spark plug hole trying to free anything that might be stuck just to see if it helps.

My multimeter busted right after one of those stator readings so I'm not sure if its accurate, when i did the test the day or two before I had 85acv on the configurations and at one time 90. I'm gonna get a new multimeter first.

I have the carbtune and i understand how the vacuum sync goes i must never done it

Never spray carb cleaner into an assembled carb. It is only to be used to clean disassembled carbs when the rubber O rings and plastic parts have been removed. It dissolves O rings and plastic.

Do a vacuum synch on the carbs. You may not have induction with the way they now are. The Morgan will tell you if you do have flow and balance. There are three synch adjustment screws on the carb rack. Tell me what each screw does so that I know you know.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Never spray carb cleaner into an assembled carb. It is only to be used to clean disassembled carbs when the rubber O rings and plastic parts have been removed. It dissolves O rings and plastic.

Do a vacuum synch on the carbs. You may not have induction with the way they now are. The Morgan will tell you if you do have flow and balance. There are three synch adjustment screws on the carb rack. Tell me what each screw does so that I know you know.
      I did disassemble anything in the pilot circuit but yeah I'll need to make sure my mixture screw o ring is good. And I'll get that reading on the carbtune
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Olay so finally got to the full stator test, just testing acv against the legs I get readings of about 90acv at 5k on all legs. For the ground tests I get reading of about 50acv at 5k. Good or bad?

Havent yet to do carb sync but I had cylinder 4 showing steam, maybe it was because I was sitting at 5krpm alot or because I had oil down the cylinder hole to see if anything would free up but it was steaming. I'm gonna let it sit for a bit and then turn it on just to idle and see if I can get the same results from 4.

When the bike idles the acv for the legs is around 27-31acv

Update:it does not steam at idle but if I get some revs in it will start to, so time to get that carb off again. I'm gonna buy some compressed air and block the pilot air get off and spray from where ththe mixture screw usually sits in Hope's that whatever is blocking it gets out. And then I will hook the carbtune up after I wipe it down and see how the airflow is going.
        Last edited by timebombprod; 06-05-2021, 06:09 PM.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

I did disassemble anything in the pilot circuit but yeah I'll need to make sure my mixture screw o ring is good. And I'll get that reading on the carbtune
          I take it you have only sprayed here and there and NOT removed the carb rack and four carbs, completely disassembled them and soaked the metal parts in Berrymans to clean them before blowing them out, drying and installing new O rings, bowl gaskets, and setting float bowl tabs?? Or in other words, you have not cleaned the carbs.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I take it you have only sprayed here and there and NOT removed the carb rack and four carbs, completely disassembled them and soaked the metal parts in Berrymans to clean them before blowing them out, drying and installing new O rings, bowl gaskets, and setting float bowl tabs?? Or in other words, you have not cleaned the carbs.

No I removed the carb body from the rack they've been rebuilt very recently and were dipped and soaked in an ultrasonic cleaner. The float height was also set.

I just removed 4 from the rack this time knowing it's the only one causing an issue and went through all testing circuits. I'm gonna be getting at it again tonight but using compressed air to hopefully shoot out whatever is blocking the pilot circuit.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

No I removed the carb body from the rack they've been rebuilt very recently and were dipped and soaked in an ultrasonic cleaner. The float height was also set.

I just removed 4 from the rack this time knowing it's the only one causing an issue and went through all testing circuits. I'm gonna be getting at it again tonight but using compressed air to hopefully shoot out whatever is blocking the pilot circuit.

OK, just trying to determine where we are. heh

Comment

OK, just trying to determine where we are. heh
                No worries, I can go through what I've done real quick.

Carb rebuild, with floats weighed and the height set.

New dyna ignition, coilpacks.

All new rubbers behind and in front of carbs.

Coil relay mod

4-1 exhaust.

Those are all the things I've done relating to how it fires and flows. Seeing that the ignition system is fine and I'm assuming the stator test turned out fine, I just need to mess with the carbs again.

I know the stator doesnt affect how the bike actually runs but just adding that.

Ill have the regulator soon enough and a back up caltric stator if the bike needs it aswell as a stator cover gasket.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

No worries, I can go through what I've done real quick.

Carb rebuild, with floats weighed and the height set.

New dyna ignition, coilpacks.

All new rubbers behind and in front of carbs.

Coil relay mod

4-1 exhaust.

Those are all the things I've done relating to how it fires and flows. Seeing that the ignition system is fine and I'm assuming the stator test turned out fine, I just need to mess with the carbs again.

I know the stator doesnt affect how the bike actually runs but just adding that.

Ill have the regulator soon enough and a back up caltric stator if the bike needs it aswell as a stator cover gasket.
                  True, the stator doesn't affect how the bike runs. So, we can bypass that for the time being. However, I still believe it is out of spec and the problem with the charging system and the cause of R/R's frying.

I don't know what "weighted carb floats" means

I think whoever rebuilt your carbs did a questionable job and they are now a problem, particularly the #4 carb.

Comment

I get readings of about 90acv at 5k on all legs.

For the ground tests I get reading of about 50acv at 5k. Good or bad?
                    Between where and where are you checking ground to get a reading of 50v AC going to ground?

Comment

I rebuilt them lol...they operate fine atleast the first 3. I didnt know what weighing the floats meant either, a mechanic I brought them to said you do it when you set float height because if they weigh a different amount from one another they will sit at a different height if adjusted to the same spot something like that.

For ground test it's one probe on a leg and the other probe on the engine
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Also I think i need to go through my airbox, i think the carbs are getting cleaned well but I'm getting crud from the airbox sucked in causing it to get things clogged. I'm gonna clean the airbix whoke I have the carbs off
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

I was reading up about stator output and hopefully if this is a 32amp stator I'm actually right one the dot, it says I should get 18volts per 1000 rpm and 18x5 is 90. But I still need to know if my stator passed the ground test. If I go above 5krpm that's when my stator will hit 100
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

For ground test it's one probe on a leg and the other probe on the engine
                            That is called a short circuit. That's no different that taking the phase wire from an AC outlet in your house and shorting it to ground.

Comment

That is called a short circuit. That's no different that taking the phase wire from an AC outlet in your house and shorting it to ground.
                              By chance do you know what the ground test would be?
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

By chance do you know what the ground test would be?
                                I know exactly what it is. It checks for an internal electrical short between phases. The reading should be ZERO.
                                Last edited by earlfor; 06-06-2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X