Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    I know exactly what it is. It checks for an internal electrical short between phases. The reading should be ZERO.
    So the test I did failed?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      So the test I did failed?
      I don't know what you are doing.

QUOTE:
      Originally Posted by timebombprod
      I get readings of about 90acv at 5k on all legs.

For the ground tests I get reading of about 50acv at 5k. Good or bad?
      UNQUOTE

The output test is done with the engine running and measured in volts.

The ground test is done without the engine running and is measured in ohms.
      For a heavy wire, 3 phase stator, the resistance should be approximately 0.1 ohm or less, or nearly zero.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sorry I just dont know what i should get from a stator ground test I just know it was something I needed to check
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Okay I have to find what a ground test would be. I know I passed the output test, I also checked resistance with the bike off just checking all the stator legs and it was at .6 for all of them.

I thought the ground test would be one probe on a leg and the other probe grounded to the engine and checking acv for that, that's where I got the 50 acv from, if I'm doing it wrong or reading the wrong number let me know.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

I thought the ground test would be one probe on a leg and the other probe grounded to the engine and checking acv for that, that's where I got the 50 acv from, if I'm doing it wrong or reading the wrong number let me know.
            Engine not running and ignition switched OFF.

You've combined some right and some wrong. heh Set meter to ohms, lowest setting that is greater than expected reading. In this case set meter to measure 0.0 to 0.5 ohms range. Place one probe of meter on a leg/lead and the other probe to engine case/ground. Expect a reading in the range of 0.1 to 0.25 ohms.
            Last edited by earlfor; 06-06-2021, 10:32 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When you cleaned the four carbs, did you clean out the 56 orifices/ in the 4 spray bars with a wire bristle?

Comment

No wire bristle, just used carb dip, ultrasonic cleaner, with all the pieces separated, anything that involved rubber or plastic was in pinesol.

Rinsed all parts with warm water and wiped dry and assembled back together.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Lowest ohm reading on my multimeter is 200 but I do get a reading of .8ohms across all legs configurations. Gonna call Rick's and see what they say and possibly get it returned.

Seems that its definitely higher than it should be
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Lowest ohm reading on my multimeter is 200 but I do get a reading of .8ohms across all legs configurations. Gonna call Rick's and see what they say and possibly get it returned.

Seems that its definitely higher than it should be
                    I agree with you.

Comment

No wire bristle, just used carb dip, ultrasonic cleaner, with all the pieces separated, anything that involved rubber or plastic was in pinesol.

Rinsed all parts with warm water and wiped dry and assembled back together.
                      I think you should take the cap and float bowl off the #4 carb, remove the main jet and with a dowel, push the spray bar out the bottom and inspect the 14 holes that are in the sides of the spray bar. I would not be surprised if they are clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I think you should take the cap and float bowl off the #4 carb, remove the main jet and with a dowel, push the spray bar out the bottom and inspect the 14 holes that are in the sides of the spray bar. I would not be surprised if they are clogged.
                        Yeah i will be technically rebuilding them again tonight just not doing a dip since they're visually clean, will be using carb spray and also compressed air. I'll make sure to poke all jet holes again.

My.bad.i didnt realise what you meant but yes I always pole through the holes. The difference this time is I'm cleaning the airbox aswell so nothing passes through there possibly obstructing the carbs
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Carbs done, airbox cleaned, and it's close to 5am so I'll probably go fishing. Hopefully this works this time. I went ahead and changed mains back to stock seeing that from my post asking about an exhaust that theres no reason to upsize jets, my 1/3rd to half throttle was a bit choppy but if I gave slow throttle it climbed smoothly. We will see if anything happens.

The carb passed the circuit test fine, blew compressed air and carb cleaner from mixture hole to backtrack the circuit instead of possibly pushing something more into where the circuit reaches the mixture area. I sure hope this is the last time I have to mess with the carbs for malfunctioning reasons
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Months ago, you said you had replaced the plug wires from your existing ignition coils..if this is still true, I’d get an eBay set of used Suzuki ignition coils and try them. I think your “twin” problem is ignition related
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No it is definitely the carbs, I have replaced the coilpacks and i run on 3 cylinders great right now, have to see if the fourth one works today. I get consistent and strong spark on all 4. The short circuit is somewhere in the charging system it was never my ignition system lol. Good that it was all replaced but damn I'd have saved alot of money if I knew where it originally came from
                              Last edited by timebombprod; 06-07-2021, 08:44 AM.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

The short circuit is somewhere in the charging system it was never my ignition system lol. Good that it was all replaced but damn I'd have saved alot of money if I knew where it originally came from
                                I would be willing to bet money the charging problem and R/R's consistently burning out is related to the ground fault in the stator. I think a new stator is needed and I would not be inclined to reinstall an old one. But for now, leave it be and disconnected since it does not apply to your problem with the carbs. Lets fix one thing at a time.

I've been rereading all the posts in this thread, analyzing what you've said and what you haven't said. I'm about 95% certain I know what the problem is and how to fix it. When you get back from fishing, PM me. I want to get on the phone with you. The explanation is a bit lengthy, I can say in five minutes what it would take me half a day to type. This is too slow and you can't ask questions, etc and get quick clarification of things I need you to do.
                                Last edited by earlfor; 06-07-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X