Engine Gasket Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Gasket Kit

Does anyone have a source for a engine gasket kit for a 1981 GS650G with a 16 bolt valve cover. I usually buy from Athena but they don’t make it anymore.
    1980 Honda CB750C fully restored
    1981 Suzuki GS650G restoration in progress
    1982 Kawasaki KZ750 fully restored
    1984 Yamaha XS650 “Bella” fully restored (Sold)
    2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)
    2010 Suzuki DL650 VStrom (Daily rider)
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio (Sold)

Buy OEM and you'll not have any problems; trying to buy Athena or the "other" brand can lead to leaks based on other people's experiences here
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OEM is best for sure, but I've had good luck with Vesrah as well.

Comment

Agree, I have never had any problem on several UJMs running them.
        Originally posted by nate665 View Post
        OEM is best for sure, but I've had good luck with Vesrah as well.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

OEM is best but my experience on my last 4 builds has been positive with Athena or other. Found a set from England. Slim pickings on the 81 models. All good now.
          2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

GOOD LUCK to you.

This is what an Athena base gasket looks like after less than 100 miles on a GS1000.

IMG_1930 by nessism, on Flickr
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you can't find OEM, Z1 stocks Vesrah, not 100% they have your model.

Comment

I would have to say there was something else at play there. I have used Athena on my last three builds (XS650, CB750 and a KZ750) and have never experienced a failure (not even a wisp of oil) with 1000's of KMs on them. These were all dry applications with no sealant other than a very small smear of grease.

Have seen that before however, even on an OEM gasket. Retorquing when the engine is still hot (or even warm) will do that. It oozes our the gasket material since the clamping force is huge. Just saying........not my experience with those gaskets.
                Last edited by canuck1969; 06-04-2021, 11:13 AM.
                2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. The 81 model is tricky to find even with Vesrah. I managed to find a complete set of NG Leakless gaskets which is part of Nippon and OEM supplier to Honda/Suzuki. Lets just see. I am all for OEM, it is just so much easier and cheaper to get a complete set since this engine will get a total rebuild.
                  2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

About a month ago I needed a clutch cover gasket, and it was hard to find, so I just bit the bullet and bought a "complete" Vesrah kit. Hopefully this bike (except maybe valve cover gasket) covered for the rest of it's life.

Comment

I am sure you are good for life. Gasket do actually dry out over time and become brittle. I keep them on the original board they came on and wrap them in Saran Wrap to keep the air out. Keep them out of the sun and you are good for a long time.
                      2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by canuck1969 View Post
                        I am sure you are good for life. Gasket do actually dry out over time and become brittle. I keep them on the original board they came on and wrap them in Saran Wrap to keep the air out. Keep them out of the sun and you are good for a long time.
                        Yep, that's the problem with NOS. Often it's ancient stock from a defunct dealer's back room and might be next to useless.
                        Been bit by that with genuine Zuk fuel hose.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by nate665 View Post
                          About a month ago I needed a clutch cover gasket, and it was hard to find, so I just bit the bullet and bought a "complete" Vesrah kit. Hopefully this bike (except maybe valve cover gasket) covered for the rest of it's life.

I've had very good results with Vesrah and they are almost as good as OEM Suzuki;I install my gaskets dry after slowly and carefully cleaning both surfaces to be joined and with Vesrah I have been able to re-use their quality gaskets a couple times.
                          I Really like the OEM Suzuki steel shim head gasket on my previous GS1100ED.
                          Last edited by grcamna2; 06-05-2021, 01:04 AM.

Comment

The last top-end engine gasket set I bought was NE Gaskets from a Polish supplier.
                            The only let-down so far has been the valve cover gasket, which was thinner than stock and has been replaced with a Vesrah.
                            Mind you, the base gasket was hard-to-find OEM Suzuki, as I simply didn't want to risk possible sub-standard quality on such a hard-to-get-to part.
                            Last edited by Grimly; 06-04-2021, 09:39 PM.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

There is always making a gasket, rubber being a lot harder, head gaskets being virtually impossible unless you cut them out of dead soft copper. Laser, or water jet cutting is great, there are people out there doing it for hire. You can hand cut many of the gaskets, you just have to take your time. Be sure and get high quality gasket material, at least you will have a fresh gasket with some effort.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X