Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 stored since 2014, want to resurrect

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. In 2012-2013 I had a 1980 Honda CB900 and I rebuilt the carburators, replaced the fork springs, upgraded ignition etc...it was running great, then I was clobbered by a car in an intersection and the bike was pretzeled.

A few months later after I was mostly healed up I bought a 1979 GS850 from an old man in the country somewhere. It ran strong when I tested it, so I brought it to my storage unit, intending to remove the Vetter fairing and restore the front end to original. Well...yeah, now it’s 2021, lol.

Anyway I’m finally in a position to refresh the bike and was wondering what you all think I should check after so long in storage? Last time I started it, the bike would die unless I kept the throttle on. So i’m thinking for sure, carb rebuild. What else should I replace besides the obvious battery, rotted lines and etc?

Is there a recommended rebuild kit for the 1979 GS850 carbs you like? Any good guide available for the rebuild? I remember getting a great rebuild kit for the CB900 that came with Viton o-rings...

Thanks and I hope to get this running soon
    Previous bike: 1980 Honda CB900c. Rebuilt carbs, new fork springs, valves adjusted, Dyna Coils. Destroyed.

Current bike: 1979 Suzuki GS850, currently trying to get working

Welcome. You're in the right place.

I have lots of helpful links for you in my signature. Start w/ the top 10 list. Pay attention. No Carb Kits. There are carb rebuild tutorials on BikeCliff's website, link in my sig. (w/ a '79, you probably want the VM one, look in the right hand margin)

Create a signature: go to Settings at the top right of any page, then look on the left side. You'll figure it out.

And, we like pictures. Posting pics on this forum isn't exactly straightforward. Best to have pics hosted on a picture sharing site. Yep, I have a link for how to do that too, using Imgur.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That's for sure! Thanks.
      Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

I have lots of helpful links for you in my signature.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
      X