Ignition System problems - no spark on plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quinton View Post
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I put a universal solenoid on since I had the same issue with the OEM solenoid and it fixed the problem. . . . . . . . .
    Meaning you are all set now with the solenoid situation?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . .I can still get it to crank by connecting the input and output terminals on the solenoid.
    Meaning you are still having problems and still troubleshooting the solenoid situation??
    If so, go back to post #12.
    Nite, Nite, past my beddy bye time.
    Last edited by Redman; 06-05-2021, 10:18 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Meaning you are all set now with the solenoid situation?

Meaning you are still having problems and still troubleshooting the solenoid situation??
      Sorry I'm a little confusing sometimes but I am still troubleshooting.

1) OEM solenoid on bike would start the bike by connecting the poles but the button didn't work
      2) Replaced OEM with a universal fit solenoid which resulted in a working starter button.
      3) Tried to jump motorcycle today. After that the button no longer works but the starter motor will crank when the poles of the new solenoid are touched (like in my original situation).

Comment

Ah, okay, I dont know how that can have enough amperage to run a starter motor, but okay, that should not cause any additional problems, well, unless got it in wrong polarity.

My concern was if jump wit running car/truck, that can cause problems with bikes charging system.

I specifically avoid jumping it off car batteries for that reason.

However, I don't know what else could have caused so many failures at the same time. It ran fine the other day. Guess I shouldn't have changed the handlebars lol

Comment

After that the button no longer works but the starter motor will crank when the poles of the new solenoid are touched (like in my original situation).
          If getting power to the solenoid small wire when push button, but solenoid doesnt do anything, not even click, then that is the exact situation I was talking about in post #12.

If not getting power to the solenoid small wire when push button, well, then need to check for power at the kill switch and the starter button (and all the blah blah blah about clutch switch, you havent said anything about if you know is or isnt such on your bike)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If getting power to the solenoid small wire when push button, but solenoid doesnt do anything, not even click, then that is the exact situation I was talking about in post #12.

If not getting power to the solenoid small wire when push button, well, then need to check for power at the kill switch and the starter button (and all the blah blah blah about clutch switch, you havent said anything about if you know is or isnt such on your bike)

Sorryi meant to say that there is a clutch switch. And my clutch lever is new so there aren’t any problems there with connections or not having the clutch pulled in far enough. Sorry if I didn’t understand

Comment

If you have power to the small wire on the solenoid. and the bike will start if you cross the large poles, then that solenoid is no good.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                If you have power to the small wire on the solenoid. and the bike will start if you cross the large poles, then that solenoid is no good.
                Should I just try to return that solenoid since I bought it a month ago?

Comment

I’ve been trying to follow this thread but all I have to go on is the words posted.
                  And we are not all using the same terminology ;-)

If you would try something for me, I think I would better understand what you are doing.
                  Please don’t by pass anything or short across any posts, etc.

Just break out your DVM and set it on the 20 volt DC scale.
                  Put the positive lead of the DMV on the small post of the of the starter relay.
                  (I think someone mentioned that it is the small post with the green/yellow wire on your bike.)
                  Put the negative lead of the DMV on the negative POST of the battery.
                  Turn the ignition key to “ON” and attempt to start the bike with the starter button.
                  When pressing the starter button, what voltage reading is the DMV displaying?

Next, leave everything the same, EXCEPT, move the positive lead of the DMV to the metal base of the starter relay.
                  Now, when attempting to start the bike with the starter button, what voltage reading is the DMV displaying?

What is first reading? _________ volts.

What is second reading? _______volts.
                  Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                  1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                  1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Working...
                  X