Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner of an Old Bike

Hi Everyone,

I'm super excited to have found this community as I just bought a Suzuki GS1000G as my first project bike.

A little about myself:
    I'm a student at the University of Cincinnati studying mechanical engineering. I also am part of the executive board for an organization that designs and manufactures prosthetics for people who typically might not be able to afford them (enableuc.org)
    I bought my motorcycle in April of this year and have slowly but surely been fixing it up and changing some things out to better suit the style I'm looking for.

I hope to be able to help answer some questions people have as well as get advice on my own struggles.

Welcome to The GSR.

Thanks for an intro.
    Intro would be better with a couple pics of the bike (need to be hosted elsewhere, then copy paste BBCode or IMGCode to your posting.)
    Also, look under settings, and find the "signature line". What ever text you enter there shows up in your every post. Generall good to put your year/model of bike there, so it is always obvious what bike you are talking about.

You say "first project bike".
    First bike?
    Much riding experience?

Good that a engineering student is getting some practical experience. (I dont know if UofC is more practical or more theoretical). Your experience with prosthetic organization will be good too.
    (I say this as a BSEE, ah, um, er, from the mid 1970s.)

Are some other GSR members in Cinci area, some in Dayton area, and some in other areas in Ohio.
    Last edited by Redman; 06-05-2021, 10:58 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Welcome to The GSR.

Thanks for an intro.
      Intro would be better with a couple pics of the bike (need to be hosted elsewhere, then copy paste BBCode or IMGCode to your posting.)
      Also, look under settings, and find the "signature line". What ever text you enter there shows up in your every post. Generall good to put your year/model of bike there, so it is always obvious what bike you are talking about.

You say "first project bike".
      First bike?
      Much riding experience?

Good that a engineering student is getting some practical experience. (I dont know if UofC is more practical or more theoretical). Your experience with prosthetic organization will be good too.
      (I say this as a BSEE, ah, um, er, from the mid 1970s.)

Are some other GSR members in Cinci area, some in Dayton area, and some in other areas in Ohio.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll add all those things once I get back to my computer.

as for riding experience, I spent a lot of time on motorcycles with my parents until they sold them about 10 years ago. Since then I’ve owned one other bike ( a 1981 Yamaha XS650) that I rode a bit but couldn’t seem to keep running. I’ve put maybe 15 miles on the GS since I’ve had it when it’s actually worked for me but now it seems every time I fix one thing something else happens lol.

My classes are pretty heavy theory right now though I’ll have technical electives like welding or other hard skills later. Most of my experience comes from the coop education program we do here which basically means we go to school for 5 years but every other semester we apply for jobs with companies and get to work with them as intern engineers. I’ve worked for Honda Engineering of North America and Crane ChemPharma and Energy in engineering roles and I have also spent a lot of time on the assembly line build Honda and Acura products. I’m a first generation college student but my dad was raised on a farm so he taught me most of the stuff I know about wrenching and maintenance.

Comment

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
        X