Oil pressure switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure switch

I have a '79 GS550T. Reason I say T is because the E model I have is equipped with T carbs, T master cylinder anbd other '81 model features. Meanwhile, the green with yellow tracer, oil pressure wire is hanging loose and I cannot find the oil pressure sender to hook it back up!

Any thoughts would help a bunch. Thanks

The oil pressure switch is in the crankcase below the number 4 intake boot. Can you post a picture of what your wire looks like? And if it's a straight T, I believe you actually have a 1980 model bike since they begin the new model years around late summer which lines up with you having CV carbs (they started them in '80 for the 550)
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Appreciate the thoughts about the model year. The ID plate says '79 but the crazy thing has all sorts of '80 parts.
      The green/yellow tracer wire has a female spade terminal on the end and comes from a junction near the fuse box. Long wire, should reach to the carb area.

Comment

Yes, it will slide over the switch. Again, it’s in the top of the crankcase under number 4 (number 1 is on the clutch side, 4 is on the throttle side). It will look like a small round button of sorts.

If the id plate shows anything after about September ‘79 then it’s a 1980 model. You will want to get the service manual from Basscliff’s site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ -
        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 06-07-2021, 06:56 AM.
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by Rsnelly View Post
          . . . . . . . . .
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and I cannot find the oil pressure sender to hook it back up!

Any thoughts would help a bunch. Thanks
          WHen you do find the oil pressure switch, you will see the post connection sticking up, not a spade connector. And need to know that the connector on the wire Slides on from the side. Fits on perpendicular to the post, not inline.

or... maybe... you are not finding the oil pressure switch because you are looking for a spade connector. Dont look for a spade connector, look for a thing with a round metal post sticking out.

Last edited by Redman; 06-07-2021, 08:28 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Since pictures really are worth 1000 word, lets try some. What Dave is describing is this connection, on top of your engine case, below carb #4 (the right one as you sit on the bike)

HAHA. Dave posted a pic a the same time I did. Great minds think alike.

Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Comment

Ha, Rich, Looks like we got it covered.

Comment

You guys are great! A real source of info. I will find the switch you so graciously posted photos here. I will let you know. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm sure you already found it but if not, here's a picture of mine (I have an 81 550T) from way back when as I replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket

scraping cam chain gasket by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 06-07-2021, 04:21 PM. Reason: Fixed the photo
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Thanks Guys. I think I will find it now. Next question if I may. Have you ever seen the very small wire clips used on some carb needle and seat? It is a real challenge to fins this needle valve clip. May have to buy the entire needle and seat to get it. This is another item that does not show on any '79 paperwork, only '81 or better.

Comment

I’ve never seen the float needle’s spring wire sold separately. That doesn’t mean They don’t exist. Also, there are members here with a side hustle of rehabbing GS carbs. These guys, I’ll betcha, have a little bank of little, plastic, well organized drawers of GS carb parts. In one of these drawer will live nothing but either CV or VM float needles, either with or without the little spring. Hit up members Steve and Nessism. They might be able to help you out.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich

Comment

Many carbs did not come with that clip. It's mostly optional.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X