Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS1100E RH crankshaft oil seal replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E RH crankshaft oil seal replacement?

Anyone know if the right hand crankshaft oil seal can be replaced without splitting the cases on a 1983 GS1100E? Looks like mine has developed a small leak and needs replacing.

TIA,
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Do you watch much TV? There's an ad on there for Flex Seal. Get some and spray on where the leak is and then next weekend you can be "that guy" who brought his GS to a rally for repairs.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thanks Larry! Right now it's just keeping the ignition lightly lubed! Bring your wrenches and I "might" let you work on it!
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1982 GS1100E
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Anyone replaced this seal?
        Ron
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
          Anyone replaced this seal?
          I've done it on a GS850, but not specifically an 1100E.

On the eight fiddy, it does not require splitting the cases or anything drastic, and I'm preeeeeeeeeeety darn sure the 1100E wouldn't be any different at all. I used an arrangement of a long 8mm bolt, some washers, a large socket that will fit over the crank and reach the seal, along a few nuts to gently push the seal into place rather than hammering it in. I used a thin smear of case sealer around the outer diameter of the seal, but I don't know if that's strictly necessary.

One caveat: examine the seal carefully under high magnification; you'll find a teensy weensy arrow indicating the direction of shaft rotation. On my bike, and almost certainly yours, this will mean that the seal will be installed "inside-out" from how you expect.

Guess how I learned this...

Also, pay attention to how deep the original seal is installed. It's possible to push in the new one way too far.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian!

Now if Partzilla comes thru with their 2nd day air shipping promise..............the stars align perfectly...........and........

I "may" have a non-leaker in Bedford! (At least from that area!)
            Ron
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

The seal part number is the same on your 1100E as my GS850, so I strongly suspect the process is identical.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                One caveat: examine the seal carefully under high magnification; you'll find a teensy weensy arrow indicating the direction of shaft rotation. On my bike, and almost certainly yours, this will mean that the seal will be installed "inside-out" from how you expect.

Guess how I learned this...
                This is better than rhe reversely-flowed Mikuni jets...
                GS1000G '81

Comment

This is timely for me as I am going after the last leak on my 82 GS1100E, hoo-rah.

So I took off the old one which involved carefully drilling through the outside edge using a set screw bit that would stop itself - there is only about 8 or 10mm clearance behind it where I drilled. Then using two pair of vice grips, one attached to the screw straight on, and the 2nd at a right angle attached to the adjuster screw of the first allowed enough room to smack the 2nd one with a hammer, and off it came (engine quite warm from a ride not sure it helps).

Now I read up on installation like this thread and another where Rapid Ray says the tension spring on the seal goes to the inside and sure enough the arrow direction as bwringer points out shows that to be the correct orientation. Dang! Mine evidently was in backwards, so per the picture, the new one on the left goes in properly as shown, metal side out. The right side shows it as removed, and the seal damage & peek at the spring.

The workshop manual section 7-44 shows the only picture I can find and though grainy, it is definitely rubber side out.... odd.

As for installation I don't want to have the center hang up and get damaged as I push in the seal so I'm looking at ways to do this properly. I like bwringer's idea of slowly pushing it in with a makeshift jig and not hammering it. The largest socket I have is 32mm and it's too small, I may have to get some pipe.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-11-2021, 10:50 PM.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Yeah, those grainy darksome photos in the manuals just cheese me right off. Especially when they're showing you something ridiculously obvious like that locating pin in your example, and they have a true talent for skipping actual crucial information.

Nothing at all in the manual mentions you have to install the seal "backwards". AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

In the modern era, Youtube mechanics have a similar genius for omitting that one desperately needed crucial detail. I need to see exactly how that clip is aligned, and how to release it... aaaaaand in the two seconds it's in view, he turns the camera around so all I get is a blurry shot of beard and boogers, coupled with the obligatory wheezing.
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

I slip a seal like that over a shaft using a piece of polythene, which I then withdraw.
                      Mr D. Urex has the instructions.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                        Rapid Ray says...
                        I consider him the final word on these bikes.

Got my gauge cluster from him. Was just thinking how it's very cool that quite a few parts of my Suzi came from quite a few members here. Thanks, guys.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Yeah, those grainy darksome photos in the manuals just cheese me right off. Especially when they're showing you something ridiculously obvious like that locating pin in your example, and they have a true talent for skipping actual crucial information.

Nothing at all in the manual mentions you have to install the seal "backwards". AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

In the modern era, Youtube mechanics have a similar genius for omitting that one desperately needed crucial detail. I need to see exactly how that clip is aligned, and how to release it... aaaaaand in the two seconds it's in view, he turns the camera around so all I get is a blurry shot of beard and boogers, coupled with the obligatory wheezing.
                          Or the, "we already removed this section" when that removal is the critical reason behind wanting to watch the video
                          sigpic
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I tried to endure a Harley guy removing his same Mikuni HSR42 I have to see how the air cleaner attached. He had no impact driver or brain, so he spent 10 minutes on 3 screws cursing, shredding Philips heads, and making lame-ass jokes with his partner until he got it off, then quickly skipped showing the next part. Thank god for FFWD but sheesh.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Oh by the way I got a 2" PVC straight joint that is just right on the outer rim of the seal. I will cut to the right height and sand it nice and level, then fasten a wood plate on and drill hole in the middle to allow me to use the center ignition fastener threads as the anchor to squeeze it in. I don't see why a 3 point contraption is needed with the 8mm's but should find out soon.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                              X