Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS1100E RH crankshaft oil seal replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing stopping you from grinding a small lead-in taper on the rubber edge of the seal. I've used a bench grinder for this previously, a sanding/linishing belt would do it too. Only a small taper on the leading edge is needed.
    Grimly's method of protecting the inner lips is a good one too.

Comment

Yeah that seems necessary, I could see just with pushing it in to test fit by hand that it was peeling back the outer shiny layer so I started to do that just a little, but stopped as I wasn't real comfy with it.

Sorry to bogart your thread Ron but good info here for all doing this job. Love that signature

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      Nothing stopping you from grinding a small lead-in taper on the rubber edge of the seal. I've used a bench grinder for this previously, a sanding/linishing belt would do it too. Only a small taper on the leading edge is needed.
      Grimly's method of protecting the inner lips is a good one too.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Good info popping up here! I still haven't attempted replacing mine yet. Been working on getting other bikes running, and it only leaks when I ride it! LOL
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

If a person were to install this seal without splitting the cases, I would recommend filing or sanding a small chamfer on the leading edge of the seal bore. It will install easier and may not cut or scrape the seal. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
            If a person were to install this seal without splitting the cases, I would recommend filing or sanding a small chamfer on the leading edge of the seal bore. It will install easier and may not cut or scrape the seal. Dar
            Agree. There was a thread here recently where a member was scheming on replacing a countershaft seal on his Triumph and putting a chamfer on the case was part of the process.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks mine is in and no leaks, I tried re-installing the removed one as a dry run, and it was chewing it up, and the chamfer trick was just the ticket. I used a Dremel very lightly and then a 600 grit, with the bearing area sealed well with tape. I used this makeshift tool which is just a 2" PVC and some spare wood to push it in, and used the old seal as well in between as it just seemed like a better idea.

It got a bit dicey and I had to give some taps to straighten it out but I went slowly. Doing again I'd use a larger wood piece and employ the 3 outer cover bolt holes, that would allow fine adjustment (now I get it...!)

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Agree. There was a thread here recently where a member was scheming on replacing a countershaft seal on his Triumph and putting a chamfer on the case was part of the process.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
              X