No announcement yet.

Romp in the Rocky Mountains 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was great visiting my brother and his family in Divide Colorado. However he put me to work. We installed his GS 1000 engine in his Suzuki. He is in the process of rebuilding two of his GS's. His "L" model and his drag bike! I was also able to remove my front wheel and have it properly balanced, so much better.

I left his house this morning. Taking the back way to interstate 25. It was a beautiful ride with temperatures in the 60's-70's.
    I decided to take the southern route home. Amarillo Texas, then across Oklahoma to Memphis. I'm in Amarillo now.
    I'm getting ready to go to the Big Texas Steakhouse! No, I'm not going to attempt to eat the 72oz steak. If you can eat it all it's FREE!

I'm missing the Rocky Mountains, however I'm not missing the thin air! My brothers house is at 9,300 feet! I would huff and puff just going up the stairs!

Tomorrow will be another moving day. I'd like to make it to Memphis (got to pay tribute to the King). If not Memphis at least to Little Rock Arkansas, then to Memphis. 🙂
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      It was great visiting my brother and his family in Divide Colorado. However he put me to work. We installed his GS 1000 engine in his Suzuki. He is in the process of rebuilding two of his GS's. His "L" model and his drag bike! I was also able to remove my front wheel and have it properly balanced, so much better.

I left his house this morning. Taking the back way to interstate 25. It was a beautiful ride with temperatures in the 60's-70's.
      I decided to take the southern route home. Amarillo Texas, then across Oklahoma to Memphis. I'm in Amarillo now.
      I'm getting ready to go to the Big Texas Steakhouse! No, I'm not going to attempt to eat the 72oz steak. If you can eat it all it's FREE!

I'm missing the Rocky Mountains, however I'm not missing the thin air! My brothers house is at 9,300 feet! I would huff and puff just going up the stairs!

Tomorrow will be another moving day. I'd like to make it to Memphis (got to pay tribute to the King). If not Memphis at least to Little Rock Arkansas, then to Memphis. 
      Been following along here, Norm. Sounds like a great ride.

Enjoy the Big Texan. We ate there on our way home recently, chicken fried steak and ribeyes. Someone was attempting the big 72oz challenge. How awkward that must be. An elevated table in the center of the dining room and camera filming you from the ceiling. Folks walked around the table recording these two guys eating. One reached out and moved a glass on the table to get a good shot of the steak. Kinda surprized thay didn't get stuck with a steak knife. When we left they were still working on it. I'll bet I could eat that thing. Just not on stage...

Check out the portraits on the wall heading to the restrooms. Creepy!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

"However he put me to work."

Hey Norm, if you're coming through Lexington, I've got a GS1100E that needs rings, a valve job, tires, tank de-rusted, etc!

Just kidding, but let me know if you are coming through Lexington after working hours and want to stop by.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

And if your coming north through central PA, you’ve got a place to stay. My bike doesn’t need anything, finally.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Norm, So I guess this means we won't be having breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. I was going to tell you also that if coming this way, I have a spare room for you especially since all the hotels are filled up now with the College World Series going on and the Olympic swim trials just ended yesterday I believe so some of those fans might be sticking around for the baseball also.

Anyway, ride safe the rest of your journey and enjoy it all.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              Norm, So I guess this means we won't be having breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. I was going to tell you also that if coming this way, I have a spare room for you especially since all the hotels are filled up now with the College World Series going on and the Olympic swim trials just ended yesterday I believe so some of those fans might be sticking around for the baseball also.

Anyway, ride safe the rest of your journey and enjoy it all.
              Thank you for the offer Larry., it is really appreciated. I'll miss our Cracker Barrel breakfast. I decided to take the southern route home. Maybe our paths will cross some other time this summer. 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Pics? No pics?
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Norm sent me a message today, he is in Little Rock tonight, he may be in my area tomorrow evening, might be able to get a bite on the way through.
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Meeting Norm in 30 minutes for food and Beer!

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Yesterday's ride was pretty uneventful. I left Amarillo early in the morning and headed east on interstate 40. For some reason I like cutting across Oklahoma. Maybe because part of the interstate was old Route 66. I made it to Russellville Arkansas.

Today was a nice ride. Well, getting through Memphis was a little hectic. That's when I decided to get off the highway and enjoy some country riding. I worked my way north to Murray Kentucky.

I met up with Scott (marvinsc). It was nice seeing Scott especially since he wasn't able to make the BC rally. We had a great dinner and beer. Scott then took me on a 50 cent tour of the city. Then took a ride to Kentucky Lake. Very beautiful, I'd like to come back and spend a couple of day here!

Tomorrow is another moving day. I should be able to make it home in the afternoon. I must say it will be nice to be home. My grass is probably a foot high!👍
                      My Motorcycles:
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)

Comment

IMG_5850 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

Stormin Norm in Murray KY this evening. Great to meet and eat with him.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Well I made it home last night. 16 days 5,735 miles, 14 states. The motorcycle ran flawlessly. Except for a slight vibration around 85mph. I had the front wheel balanced, it might of help but not really.

I saw all kinds of weather. A little bit of rain, but not enough to put on the rain suit. I ran into some high heat (102°) but not hot enough to kill me. I rode through high wind (45+ gusts) not enough to blow me off the road. I also had some gorgeous days, cool, sunny, low humidity.

Yes, I love visiting out west, but everything is so far away. 450 miles to there, 350 to here... Then throw in a couple 600 milers to get there. Its a lot of riding. It's a every two to three year annual trip.

Where to next? Is the Canadian border open yet??
                          My Motorcycles:
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Welcome to my world Norm. I know what you mean about the distance to anywhere from anywhere. As I've said before, I have to go 6-7 hours in any direction to get to some entertaining roads. That's why I do so much trailering these days. I can literally wear out the center tread just going to a place where I can use the edges of the tires.

Glad you had such a good time and got back home safely with no major issues.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                            X