• Show
Clear All

Romp in the Rocky Mountains 2021

New tires, check
    Oils changed, check
    Chassis lubed, check
    Air Filter cleaned, check
    Coolant checked, check
    This only means one thing, it's time to hit the road!

After the Brown County Rally, I'm heading west. Sunday and Monday will be more just getting there. I plan on taking route50 across Illinois, Missouri, Kansas into Salida Colorado.

From Salida, I'll be heading north. I'd like to check out some of the ski resorts(Vail, Steamboat Springs)... Then to my main destination of Cody Wyoming. I'll be basing out of Cody for four days. I'll be doing a couple of day rides into Montana and checking out Yellowstone National Park and the Tetons, love them Tetons. 😉

Then I'll be going back to Colorado to visit my brother and his family for a day or two.
    Working my way home, I'll be heading south, touching New Mexico before riding into Texas. I got to stop at the Big Texas Steakhouse in Amarillo!
    I'll shoot across Oklahoma to Memphis, got to pay tribute to the King.
    I'll work my way north. I have to visit my Kentucky wild cat in Florence. Maybe we'll do another distillery tour...

I have 20 days before I have to be back to work. I have to make the best of it. I'm really looking forward to taking in some sunsets and sunrises oh and the Tetons. 🌞
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Sounds like one heck of a trip Norm. Good luck and hope you enjoy it. The Rockies are beautiful.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Wow, I’m jealous. Have a great trip Norm! And post pics when you can.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Going to be a great trip Norm. Hope the weather cooperates, it's been crap up here last few days but should smarten up by next week. Are you going to try Beartooth Pass or is it even open yet?
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          . . . . . . .

route50 across Illinois, Missouri, Kansas into Salida Colorado.

From Salida, I'll be heading north.

................o Texas. I got to stop at the Big Texas Steakhouse in Amarillo!....
          Sounds exciting Norm!
          Also sounds like what I should be doing more of.

THe route 50 is what I did on my ride-RT-home-from-SanDiego (2019).
          In Kansas is wide open, 50 pretty much bypass what small towwns are along the way, or can elect to go into/thru the small town for a stop or a diversion without addding much time/distance.

50 West of Salida is the contential divide at high elevation, that I would recommend, was funn to ride along right next to skiiers, and I saw moose. . . . . but is also under construction now and closed for hours at a time. Perhpas you knew that.

Texas, was gonna mention catching the Hill Country, but that would be another days ride just to get there from your route thru Amarillo up in the panhandle.

See ya in a few days.
          Last edited by Redman; 06-07-2021, 08:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I wanna be Norm when I grow up.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

After leaving the Rally Sunday morning I left heading west on Rt50 to St. Louis. The road is not to bad except for about 50 miles in Illinois. It was bump bump--- bump bunmp---- bump bump for 50+ miles.
              Yesterday I started in Kansas city with the goal of making it to Pueblo Colorado. It was Hot, but on interstate 70 I was able to make some time. Getting off the interstate traveling southwest on two lane road towards Pueblo. With long straight roads I was able to crank it up to 75-80. Way out in the distance I see a car approaching. As we were getting ready to cross paths, it was a COP! He hit his lights! However he didn't pull me over. I guess it was just a polite way of saying slow it down a little bit fellow.
              Today will be a fun day. I have to be in Steamboat Springs Colorado and have all day to get there.🌞
              My Motorcycles:
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Good to hear Norm, I was wondering how you were doing.
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  After leaving the Rally Sunday morning .
                  Good to hear from You.
                  Keep the updates coming.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Some friends of mine and I, back in my FZ1 days, used to ride up to Durango and then Telluride every year. What a great trip you are on, Norm! I LOVE the Rockies!!!
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

After leaving Pueblo, I had a great day riding north to Steamboat Springs Colorado. I rode up rt9 out of Canyon City. It was warm, but not hot. I stopped in the ski town of Breckenridge. A quaint little town, but bring your wallet! $30 for a beer, sandwich and tip! But the views are gorgeous. I made it to Steamboat Springs.

Steamboat Springs, another quaint village. You can see the ski trails cut out on the mountain. Now I've done a little snow skiing in the past, but I don't think I could manage these ski slopes! I was asking folks where are the beginners slopes? All is they would do is laugh.

Yesterday was moving day. 450 miles to my main destination of Cody Wyoming. I left Steamboat Springs with 51° temperatures, five hours later it was 100°. I ran into some heavy road construction. About 5 miles of one way traffic on a dirt road! You see, there are no detors around the construction out here in the west. A detor would take you 100 miles out of your way!

Today will be a fun day. First thing is to wash the motorcycle! It is just covered with bugs and road grime. Then I'm not sure what direction I'll go. I know one thing for sure, it sure is beautiful here in Wyoming. 🌞
                      My Motorcycles:
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)

Comment

Safe travels, Norm. Can't wait to see the pics.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

What a fun day! I took Depep's advice and rode the Chief Joseph highway. Actually I wanted to check it out ever since he posted a picture of it a year ago. Then I ran up through Bears tooth pass. At a elevation of10,900 it was a cold 51° and windy!

On the other side of the mountain, what I thought were clouds was actually smoke! Smoke from a forest fire. I watched the helicopters fill their buckets with water then fly away. It didn't look like much of a fire till I rode to the other side of the mountain, fire and smoke everywhere. Crazy, I only seen things like that on the news!

I did make it to Red Lodge Montana for lunch. Lots of them GS BMW's out there, with big aluminum cases. I was talking to a guy, he said "a guy just pulled out of here on a GS". For a second I thought a GS Suzuki? Noooo

I did take a lot of pictures, about 5 rolls worth... I'm having problems with my phone. I can get a internet connection, but I can't call or text anyone... Maybe when I get home, I'll ride over to see Rich. He can help me set up a account and post pictures....
                          Tomorrow, I'm heading to Yellowstone. I'll be heading out early early. I talked to some folks today, they said the crowd is not to bad... We'll see 👍
                          My Motorcycles:
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Welcome any time Norm!
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Today was moving day. Cody Wyoming to Fort Collins Colorado. Pretty much uneventful.

Yesterday was Awesome! I rode around Yellowstone National Park. I covered maybe 1/10 of the park but what I saw was amazing. I saw Buffalo (I think they're tamed) posing for the tourist for pictures... I did see one younger Buffalo run across a field and right across the road in front of me. No safety factor, I saw the little fellow running from a distance.

I saw some amazing waterfalls. Watching the one waterfall, I said out loud "Who wants to go rafting"! Most said no way, one kid said he'd do it!

There were a lot of family vacationers at the park. It reminded me of when I was a kid and our family vacations.
                              It started to get crowded at around noon. I wanted to see Old Faithful, but the stop and go traffic to get a parking space was to much, I turned around.
                              By the time I got back to the hotel room, I was tired. I relaxed a bit. Then I went back to Casey's Steakhouse to say goodbye to my barmaid friends.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit my brother. I'm not sure what he has planned. I think we're going to work on his GS's. Yes he has a couple of them too! 🌞
                              My Motorcycles:
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Working...
                              X