Hello! (Should've done this first)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! (Should've done this first)

I guess this is technically my second thread, but I guess an introduction aught to be in order.

First off, about me: I'm a factory rat currently in the central NY area. I'm an obsessive rider, my bike is basically my primary mode of transportation. Old Japanese bikes and ratbikes are my jam.

Second, about the GS bike: The bike's a '79 GS550L. I bought it cheap-like from a neighbor without a title. First thing I did was fix that via the Vermont loophole. It ran last summer, but then sat in said neighbors yard all winter uncovered. I'm currently fighting through some electrical hassles. The bike also needs a fair amount of other work. My eventual goal is to use it for long rides and motocamping. While my daily rider (Yamaha SR400) is great, loading it with camping gear and taking it on the highway is kinda terrifying. Other work I need to do yet on the bike to get it roadworthy includes: getting the front brake working, fabricating a side cover, new tires (current tires have tread but are prehistoric), and new mirrors (chunk of ice bent them). I'll also probably put a windscreen of some sort on it as well as a couple of 'cigarette lighter' power ports for camera/gps/phone. Other long term mods I'm not sure about, but given the issues I'm having getting her to run, I'm thinking an electronic ignition upgrade may be in the works.

Pics of Bike follow.

As it came to me during the snowy months (yes it went in the garage immediately after this pic was taken):

High quality taller sissy bar (please don't mock my kindorf rail, the stuff's incredibly handy):

Test fit of saddlebags and tank bags showing that I'm going to have to re-relocate the rear turn signals:
    '79 GS550L - Current Project, eventually for Motocamping
    '80 XJ650 - Eventual Ratbike project.
    '15 SR400 - Daily Ride/Commuter

Hey Sam. Welcome.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome! Judging by the icon you're using I already know you, a closer look at my icon should confirm that. Yeah, you know, the bottom of a reclaimed coal mine in southern Ohio, we saw a docu-drama about a South African shaman who gave a man a magic gourd a couple of years ago....
      Last edited by LAB3; 06-08-2021, 01:03 PM.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
      X