No announcement yet.

Looks like the compact truck is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have strong feelings on trucks .... I make sure to stay on good terms with my friends that own them ..... Makes it easier to puck up their weekends .....
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      From what I found online, the CVT was not offered on the Honda Fit in the US prior to 2015.

The Honda Fit was first introduced to US & Canada in 2006 as a 2007 model.

Ed
      I have a 2019 Honda Insight hybrid and the mileage I get is incredible. I like everything about it but the lack of ability to haul anything. There was not even an aftermarket hitch made for it the last time I checked and it would probably void the warranty if I towed anything. It has a CVT . I guess the CVTs will continue to get better as they seem to be the future. At least the Ford claims the ability to tow a light load and with the small bed, I probably wouldn't need a trailer. I'll probably be looking at them. Now is a good time to sell a used vehicle.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
        Never knew you did rallying! Glad to hear of it.

I recall stories about the first of them. They were an instant hit at race tracks.
        In modified stock form they had a considerably lower CG than most competitors and some drivers would often just dive into corners and wait for the front tires to pull them through.

I owned one for about three months before it was totalled. Not much driving time in it though, as it was in three collisions in that time and spent weeks in the shops before being destroyed
        Two were rear-enders, while I was stopped, which required repairs, and the last was weird.
        With only two cars on the road, mine and a Chev already stopped at a traffic light and apparently waiting for me to go straight through before making its left turn, as I reached the crosswalk at about 35 MPH the Chev driver jumped on the gas and drove right into the front of the Mini.

Both cars went up into the air....just like in the movies....and the Mini was instantly shortened by a full foot. Seat belts saved the lives of both me and my passenger as he acquired a huge forehead bump from hitting the windshield, but he did not go through, while for me, the steering wheel rose to the roof , bruising every one of my ribs and cutting my chin as it passed. Had my seat belt not held me back there is no question I would have been crushed against the roof.

Never had a strong liking for Mini's after that......
        I've owned three of the little beasts, two right-hand drive and one American import. The Australian 1098 model was the one I rallyed, and that imp was the best of the lot despite the fact that the last one had the stronger motor (a 1380).
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Not sure how we derailed this thread from new pickup trucks to Classic Minis, but I like it. Pilot, I'm jealous of your experience w/ these cars. I keep thinking a Mini is in my future as a retirement project. (I've got a ways to go). I have a friend w/ a business that solely rebuilds Nash Metropolitans, probably will employ his experience for help. Guy who owns the MINI dealership where I used to get service owns 6 or 7 classic Minis and rotates them through the showroom. He're his Monte Carlo race replica:

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Rich, I plan to own another, but it will have a Honda B18 under the hood (and air conditioning). 180 hp and cool air will make for a perfect commuter.

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah I’ve seen some really awesome videos of rest-modded minis w/ V-tec engines that have insane power. I wouldn’t be averse to something like that.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I watched a modded B18 walk away from an 80's 911 SC in an impromptu drag race at an autocross event (after the event, at which the Mini posted one of the times of the day, and the 911 was bottom of its class-due mainly to the lame driver).
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I got an out-the-door quote and go in next week to put a deposit down unless I change my mind. The Maverick looks aren't important to me and I only want to haul smallish things.... recently things such as needed to refurb two bathrooms like toilets etc and also a hot water heater. I have driven some type of pickup for 45 yrs but lately used them like a passenger car 95% of the time. I exceed the predicted gas efficiency by almost 10 mpg in my Honda Insight (yeah, hyper-mileing) so I hope to get 45-50 mpg on the Maverick. Who knows? It might be months before delivery.
                  1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                    I got an out-the-door quote and go in next week to put a deposit down unless I change my mind. The Maverick looks aren't important to me and I only want to haul smallish things.... recently things such as needed to refurb two bathrooms like toilets etc and also a hot water heater. I have driven some type of pickup for 45 yrs but lately used them like a passenger car 95% of the time. I exceed the predicted gas efficiency by almost 10 mpg in my Honda Insight (yeah, hyper-mileing) so I hope to get 45-50 mpg on the Maverick. Who knows? It might be months before delivery.
                    Over on ADVrider.com, several inmates have received their Mavericks at assorted trim levels. Everyone seems quite happy so far.

I gotta say, I'm a fan of the recent micro-trend of steel wheels on trucks. Quite a few owners are ordering their Maverick with steelies. I've always really, really hated the delicate fancy alloy wheels they strap on to every grocery-getter, work truck, and off-roader. They're just useless, tacky, gaudy, and downright inappropriate.

The Maverick scratches an itch no one in the US has bothered to scratch for many years. Good for Ford; they'll sell a skrillion of them.

Also, I recently spotted a Maverick in the wild. As I hoped, it seemed like a very nice human-scale size.

Also, from what I can tell, the dealers are generally not gouging on these. You order, you wait, and generally you pay what you expected to pay. If a buyer doesn't follow through they get snapped up fast. There are quite a few reports of gouging on the Bronco.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 12-03-2021, 08:33 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yeah it definitely seems like it's a Wagon alternative more than anything else... It's basically a European pickup truck. My Uncle had one over there that looked remarkably similar
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah it definitely seems like it's a Wagon alternative more than anything else... It's basically a European pickup truck. My Uncle had one over there that looked remarkably similar

My biggest problem with a pickup is that it's occasionally useful for hauling stuff but much more often it's a pain in the a$$ as all your gear is out in the elements ready to be stolen or fall out. Here the freeways are littered with Cr@p. Took me a while to realise that the difference causing it between here & europe was mostly that a pickup was used for everything a van was used for in the UK.....

Oh and I guess I should qualify myself by saying that I regularly use an F150 for work but also have a Mini-van and an R53 series mini Cooper S at home... In the past I also owned a van a bit like the Transit connect for hauling mountain bikes (and for sleeping in occasionally - before it became fashionable! )
                        Last edited by salty_monk; 12-03-2021, 09:07 PM.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Darn I'm a late comer to this party - I just found out about this truck today (Motorweek). I think it's interesting and likely to be popular. But it has to be small (3 inches shorter than my 1998 ranger) and it only has a 4 foot bed.
                          81 GS650GL

Comment

I was too late. Orders for 2022 Mavericks (hybrids) are cut off. The salesman says there is a chance they will open back up in mid January but the word from Ford Customer Service is that they're done for this year and orders for '23's will commence mid summer. You can still order a 2.0 liter EcoBoost for 2022 (not a hybrid).
                            Last edited by 1948man; 12-09-2021, 04:09 PM.
                            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I'd like to downsize a small ev pickup but I haven't seen sign of development for that market segment, Something similar in size to the 90s toyotas or a Tacoma when they were still small.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Seems I may be back in the game. A dealer says there is an order placed and the original customer has opted out and I can have it. The deal seems a little weird . A proposal was emailed to me with Trim level, options and price but nothing was ever signed. The mgr swears the build is mine but I expect there will probably be a price bump when it comes in. I don't have a deposit down so I won't be out anything. Ford confirms there is a build on record for the order number the dealer gave me and says it is possible to take over a build.
                                1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                                X