Looks like the compact truck is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the compact truck is back

The 2022 Ford Maverick looks to have some great potential, a 5 passenger vehicle that get's 40 MPG in the city with room in back for a little hauling. At $20k my guess is it'll sell pretty well, how many people really NEED a full or even mid sized hauler in the first place?

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Where would the economy be if people only took what they need and leave the rest?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yep, here's the small pickup everyone's been screaming for!

Small-ish, anyway... still quite bloated compared to the beloved and adored Toyota Pickup of the '80s and '90s.

I suspect these will sell well to the trades, too.

I hope they sell a zillion. It's a damn good idea that's been out of the US market for way too long for very stupid reasons (Google "Area Rule" and "Chicken Tax" for the brainless details.)

I also hope they figure out how to make a 2-door long bed version; now THAT would sell like hotcakes and free beer combined.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Makes me regret just buying a new F-150. Oh well, seems like there's always something better coming out nowadays!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

My friend had a 1970 Maverick. Didn't look anything like that. But didn't Honda try front wheel drive in
          the Ridgeline ? I'm not sure that was a big seller.

Mad
          83 GS750E
          2006 ZX14
          2004 KTM 450 EXC
          2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

That looks like the Explorer SportTrac on steroids and not looking too good for it. Honestly, the Ranger was forever Ford's best small truck (I bought one new from Military Sales in '91)
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              That looks like the Explorer SportTrac on steroids and not looking too good for it. Honestly, the Ranger was forever Ford's best small truck (I bought one new from Military Sales in '91)
              The last brand new vehicle I bought was a 1991 GMC Sonoma with the 2.5l four cylinder, that was a darn good truck. I'll also second the 80's Toyotas, it seemed the bodies rusted and fell off long before the powertrain gave up the ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                My friend had a 1970 Maverick. Didn't look anything like that. But didn't Honda try front wheel drive in
                the Ridgeline ? I'm not sure that was a big seller.

Mad
                If you've ever driven a small, light truck in the winter, especially without any added weight in back you'll come appreciate FWD, guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  If you've ever driven a small, light truck in the winter, especially without any added weight in back you'll come appreciate FWD, guaranteed.
                  Not really.

If you truly know what you are doing rear-wheel drive and only two drive wheels will not make a huge dfiference to your getting anywhere

4WD popularity as seen today is the end result of a huge amount of money spent convincing people they needed it and it would be safer for them..

It was a huge load of BS.......BUT it has paid off in monstrously huge profits

Front-wheel drive was done the same way......endless advertising saying more safety, more traction, more safety.

.......almost entirely BS......but people bought the BS, and the vehicles......for MUCH higher prices. (read PROFITS)

The number one reason for pushing front wheel drive was to meet CAFE rules on fuel consumption: changing the drive train from rear to front lowered total vehicle weight and that alone instantly reduced gas consumption for the same engine in the same vehicle.
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more boring looking truck. Ford could have at least taken some styling cues from things they’ve done with their F150 Raptor or looked a bit at some other makes like the newer Tacos for some design inspiration. The Maverick is uninspired IMHO. I used to own a 2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 4 door long bed. I loved the styling of that truck, but it was lacking in power for the very poor fuel economy from which it suffered. It started to nickel and dime me about 6 years ago and I realized I really didn’t need a truck. My wife had a minivan. So I traded it for a MINI Countryman S 6 speed. It still allowed me to haul my kids and all their lacrosse gear/band instruments. I’ve never had a car that’s so much fun to drive. I have to run premium because turbo, but I still save a ton on fuel costs over the Frontier.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I wonder if Ford is taking the Ranger out of production?
                      Seems like they would going after some of the same buyers.
                      Curious as to why not put that new hybrid engine in the Ranger platform.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                        Not really.

If you truly know what you are doing rear-wheel drive and only two drive wheels will not make a huge dfiference to your getting anywhere

4WD popularity as seen today is the end result of a huge amount of money spent convincing people they needed it and it would be safer for them..

It was a huge load of BS.......BUT it has paid off in monstrously huge profits

Front-wheel drive was done the same way......endless advertising saying more safety, more traction, more safety.

.......almost entirely BS......but people bought the BS, and the vehicles......for MUCH higher prices. (read PROFITS)

The number one reason for pushing front wheel drive was to meet CAFE rules on fuel consumption: changing the drive train from rear to front lowered total vehicle weight and that alone instantly reduced gas consumption for the same engine in the same vehicle.
                        Sorry, but much of this is BS. And the part that isn't (the CAFE standards) I can't see why that was a bad thing.
                        I had an '84 Toyota 4WD, and in the snow the difference between 2WD and 4WD was beyond astonishing. There was also a period when I had an '80 Corolla (RWD) and my girlfriend had an '84 Corolla (FWD) and again, huge difference in low traction situations. FWD is also more space efficient, has lower total weight, and allows lighter, more space efficient rear suspension layouts. Those are all positives last I checked.

As for 4WD and FWD, no, not a huge difference. But it is there and is noticeable. The wife went from an Outback to an Acura TLX, and she really misses the Outback when the roads are crappy with snow/ice. In those conditions the Outback was better than my Tacoma 4WD, the TLX is worse.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

FWD is massively better in the snow than RWD. To the point where 4WD isn't needed unless you are in extreme conditions or maybe for a truck.

FWD is more efficient because the power doesn't have to go through any 90 degree bevel gears which burn up power.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            FWD is massively better in the snow than RWD. To the point where 4WD isn't needed unless you are in extreme conditions or maybe for a truck.

FWD is more efficient because the power doesn't have to go through any 90 degree bevel gears which burn up power.
                            Front wheel drive is better when you are stopped and want to start moving. That is because the bulk of engine/transmission weight is on the front wheels. which improves initial traction.

After that, it has little to offer and, depending on driver skill, ithcan be detrimental..

What I learned is that, once you know what you are doing, in almost any circumstance that will be faced by an average driver, , you can go anywhere with any of them, but unless the circumstances are really, really, severe, and far out of the ordinary from what most motorists will encounter even occasionally, the difference is not significant. Driver attitude and driver skill, coupled with having the right tires for the season, will almost always get you where you want to go. People who drove in the 1930's, 1940;s, 1950's , 1960's, 1970's (before front wheel drive came into prominence)all knew this and did it regularly, in all seasons and in all weather and they did so on roads/highways that were almost nothing like what is common today.

Those who have learned that skill understand this. Those that have bought the fairy tale that they actually NEED 4 wheel drive have a mental block that prohibits understanding that there were decades when front/four wheel drive did not exist and road conditions were far worse than what you are likely to see in almost every urban situation today, and everyone went about their business all year. Many millions of drivers regularly did what so many today have been brainwashed to believe must be impossible.

To keep this in perspective, my attitude has always been I will go wherever I want to go.. whenever I want to go there.....every winter. Excepting micro bikes and trikes, which I have never been on, I have done this in/on every type of road vehicle out there. There is nothing exceptional about me as there are many thousands like me who do the same year after year.

Six inches of fresh, unbroken, snow, or even snow mixed with ice, is NOT an impassable obstacle or even something to be afraid of.
                            I grew up doing this. So did many, many, thousands of others.

Being able to do it is not at all special: once you learn how to drive properly it is just another day of winter weather to deal with....and maybe have fun doing it..
                            Last edited by argonsagas; 06-09-2021, 11:48 PM.
                            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Isn't it interesting how 4WDs only become decent when you engage the front wheels. LOL.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                              X