No announcement yet.

Looks like the compact truck is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A dealer says"...That means BEWARE. It'd be rare for what a dealer says to be on the up'n up. Just almost never ever happens. But good luck.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I dunno: I'm 6'1" and I have a pickup to haul stuff. I really don't care how high gas gets I'm going to resist "they" and drive what I want. This photo is not what I want.
      Attached Files
      1986 1150EF
      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I'm anxious to see a new Maverick, wondering how they may compare to the old Chevy Luv, Ford Currier, & Dodge Ram50 & Plymouth arrow small trucks. My Tacoma has grown from a small truck, back in the "80's", to what seems to be a mid size like a Dodge Dakota or Chevy S-10.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

LOL, not sure what there is to "resist". I assume someone makes a pickup that suits your needs? Then go buy it.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post

I decided on an F-150 XLT. I F'ed up when I bought this truck. It never occured to me to investigte the transmission. Since 7 years prior I bought a truck for much less, I figured the transmission would be similar.....oops!

This new truck has 2wd/4Hi/4l.....No 4 Auto
            I feel your pain. My ferd is the worst winter vehicle Ive ever driven. 8ft alum box offers no weight on the rear tires. The stock Good Year tires make it worse. 4WD helps but with traction control on it really does not compare to my granddaughters forester which is a tank in the snow. Her brother has a AWD Volvo S40 and like my truck it sux in the snow.

With a set of TOYO Open County tires and 600lbs in the bed it gets better in the snow........

PS: My BILs Maverick is due in mid Jan 22. Maybe Ill come back here for a review.

PPS: Interesting.......

Last edited by bonanzadave; 12-19-2021, 01:09 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              I feel your pain. My ferd is the worst winter vehicle Ive ever driven. 8ft alum box offers no weight on the rear tires. The stock Good Year tires make it worse. 4WD helps but with traction control on it really does not compare to my granddaughters forester which is a tank in the snow. Her brother has a AWD Volvo S40 and like my truck it sux in the snow.

With a set of TOYO Open County tires and 600lbs in the bed it gets better in the snow........

PS: My BILs Maverick is due in mid Jan 22. Maybe Ill come back here for a review.

Mine spent all of October plus a couple of days in the shop. The passenger side front carpet was getting soaked and they kept insisting that they were " diagnosing ". A couple weeks in I received a call to authorize a tech to take my truck home, as rain was expected and they were hoping to figure out the leak. Turns out the tech lived 80 miles away through tolls he didn't pay.

Anyway, the water issue was caused by a combination of a drain tube design and heater/ac pipe gasket through the firewall.

Apparently the entire dash and interior needed to be removed to seal the issue and to replace the carpet. I also had a GPS/RADIO failure at the same time, so that was replaced.

My Ram never had any warranty work performed. This Ford is just out of mileage warranty now, if I could find a suitable replacement, it would be a good time.....but not much available.

Comment

How much does the Rivian cost? I couldn't get past all the hand-waving to stick with the video.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  "A dealer says"...That means BEWARE. It'd be rare for what a dealer says to be on the up'n up. Just almost never ever happens. But good luck.
                  Yeah, I hear you. The Ford Maverick phone number shows an order date of June 23 2021 for this order number so at least I'll probably know one way or the other by Feb or March.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                    How much does the Rivian cost? I couldn't get past all the hand-waving to stick with the video.
                    That guy is a bit dramatic....he did a good review, though. Rivian is in the 70k range. Lots of cool features.

Comment

I bought a 2021 TRD 4X4 Sport Dual Cab Short Bed (DCSB) Tacoma and have added a bed mat (26lbs) and will put a tonneau cover (120lbs) on it to help with weight in the rear...maybe I'll add some sand bags...lol.

We have our snowy winters in January so I will test it out then!

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-19-2021, 09:10 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hey Ed, just looked thru your build thread over at TacomaWorld. Seems you've got it covered, I don't see winter weather causing you much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          I bought a 2021 TRD 4X4 Sport Dual Cab Short Bed (DCSB) Tacoma and have added a bed mat (26lbs) and will put a tonneau cover (120lbs) on it to help with weight in the rear...maybe I'll add some sand bags...lol.

We have our snowy winters in January so I will test it out then!

Ed

We've got a 2019 like yours only it's a long box. Bed mat and tonneau cover as well but added 6 sand bags and 4 studded winter tires. It does OK but our Outback does better until it gets really deep and gnarly.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Hey Ed, just looked thru your build thread over at TacomaWorld. Seems you've got it covered, I don't see winter weather causing you much of a problem.
                            Thanks Rick,

When I get 50K+ miles on the Firestones that came with…I’ll want some grippier tires and new rims. My wife and I have recently had the talk about my Taco becoming my obsession! Lol

I have spent about $3K in add ons and she is worried I’m gonna fall into a rabbit hole! Lol

So for now, I gotta take it down on notch on the accessories.

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            We've got a 2019 like yours only it's a long box. Bed mat and tonneau cover as well but added 6 sand bags and 4 studded winter tires. It does OK but our Outback does better until it gets really deep and gnarly.
                            Yeah, that Suburu doesn’t have the ground clearance as the Taco but for country driving here in Delaware, 4H should be all I need…plus the 6 sandbags in the box!

Lately, the Long Cab seems like a good idea to be able to sleep inside after adding a camper. It would be better than sleeping in the doghouse! Lol

Ed

EDIT: Maintenance today starting at 8:45am. Have a great Christmas week everyone!!!
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-20-2021, 09:42 AM.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Yeah, that Suburu doesn’t have the ground clearance as the Taco but for country driving here in Delaware, 4H should be all I need…plus the 6 sandbags in the box!

Lately, the Long Cab seems like a good idea to be able to sleep inside after adding a camper. It would be better than sleeping in the doghouse! Lol
                              We got the long box and factory roof racks so we can haul people and gear into the back country. The long box will hold 4 mtn bikes with the tailgate up or 2 kayaks in the box hanging out with the tailgate down and 2 on the roof so we can transport gear and 4 people. If you haven't done so yet take the that silly air dam off the front, it'll probably get ruined anyway by the first snow bank you hit.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                                We got the long box and factory roof racks so we can haul people and gear into the back country. The long box will hold 4 mtn bikes with the tailgate up or 2 kayaks in the box hanging out with the tailgate down and 2 on the roof so we can transport gear and 4 people. If you haven't done so yet take the that silly air dam off the front, it'll probably get ruined anyway by the first snow bank you hit.
                                One of my expenses...don't tell my wife!

I think it's Sexy!

Ed

EDIT: now to install the TRD Pro grill with raptor lights!
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X