Hot fuse box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot fuse box

Am getting hot fuse box while ignition key is on (79'GS1000E)and bike not running. I have replaced with new fuse box with the 4 fuses and am it's still getting hot to the point that it will blow the main fuse if I leave it on long enough. Am troubleshooting trying to find bad connection. Also I'm in the process of replacing R/R with upgrade. Can someone tell me why there is 2 fuse boxes on this model. One with the 4 fuses and one other with just one fuse. I believe the one fuse box is called the terminal relay.

1)What does this(output terminal) do/protect as is does not have a outlet wire?

2)Can someone tell me what would be the first things to check for cause of hot fuse box? Possible corrosion or bad ground somewhere?

If you have the ignition key in the “on” position, AND, if the points are closed, that will ground the coil circuit and it will probably be pulling 4 or 5 amps through the ignition fuse. I am not sure how hot “hot” is, but I imagine it will get warm.
    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

To clarify hot, I mean it will burn your skin if you touch it. It partially melted the original plastic fuse box.

Comment

Originally posted by tsassman View Post
        Am getting hot fuse box while ignition key is on (79'GS1000E)and bike not running. I have replaced with new fuse box with the 4 fuses and am it's still getting hot to the point that it will blow the main fuse if I leave it on long enough. Am troubleshooting trying to find bad connection. Also I'm in the process of replacing R/R with upgrade. Can someone tell me why there is 2 fuse boxes on this model. One with the 4 fuses and one other with just one fuse. I believe the one fuse box is called the terminal relay.

1)What does this(output terminal) do/protect as is does not have a outlet wire?

2)Can someone tell me what would be the first things to check for cause of hot fuse box? Possible corrosion or bad ground somewhere?
        1. this is an "accessory" terminal, is not used normally.

2. Hook up an amp meter to the main power wire of the fuse box.
        Disconnect the fuses one by one and hopefully you will find a circuit that draws power.
        If so you have narrowed down the search area and can go look for the cause.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
          If you have the ignition key in the “on” position, AND, if the points are closed, that will ground the coil circuit and it will probably be pulling 4 or 5 amps through the ignition fuse. I am not sure how hot “hot” is, but I imagine it will get warm.
          AND if the kill switch is in the run position.
          I hope the test is performed with the killswitch set to off ....
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Look for the problem VERY NEAR or AT the fusebox.
            Heat is created by a too much electricity trying to get through a narrow place all-at-once. Like a panic in a narrow corridor, electrons pushing,shoving, getting hot and sweaty. The hottest heat will be at that "narrowing"...

examples: A connector lug can often partially cut the copper wire strands....that means all the electricity is trying to get through a few strands.

A fuse that is not fully pushed in will not have a full contact surface. It will be hot where the electricity is trying to cram through the little patch that is touching.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              Look for the problem VERY NEAR or AT the fusebox.
              Yep, the fault and hottest spot will be at the point of contact of whatever is causing the problem.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

1) As far as the accessory terminal not normally being used. Does that mean that I can remove it?

2) Removing the fuses one by one and checking if it clears up will be done today.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

1) As far as the accessory terminal not normally being used. Does that mean that I can remove it?

2) Removing the fuses one by one and checking if it clears up will be done today.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, but I would not. You might want to add a phone charger or some other accessory some time.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just verified that the main fuse is still getting extremely hot after about a minute with the key on. As suggested I started pulling fuses. The first one I pulled was the 10A HD. LAMPS. The main fuse no longer gets hot. So it seems that we have narrowed the cause, now for the solution.

1)Pull headlight and check/clean all connections to and from?
                    2) If necessary run a new switched 12V accessory wire from fuse box to headlamp?

Comment

Just verified that the main fuse is still getting extremely hot after about a minute with the key on. As suggested I started pulling fuses. The first one I pulled was the 10A HD. LAMPS. The main fuse no longer gets hot. So it seems that we have narrowed the cause, now for the solution.

1)Pull headlight and check/clean all connections to and from?
                      2) If necessary run a new switched 12V accessory wire from fuse box to headlamp?

I am guessing that HD stands for High Intensity Discharge lights. (well known for flagrant high amp consumption.)
                      Your lighting upgrade?

Anyway, their power consumption exceeds the capacity of the fuse block and associated wiring. I would install a direct from battery lighting wire with a inline fuse on the wire to power the HD lighting. We already know it is drawing enough amperage to roast a 10 amp circuit, so It's going to require something higher rated than that.
                      What is the wattage of the HD's?

Depending on what the consumption rate is, there may not be enough charging system capacity to keep the battery charged because of the HD current draw.
                      Last edited by earlfor; 06-11-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I am guessing that HD stands for High Intensity Discharge lights. (well known for flagrant high amp consumption.)
                        Your lighting upgrade?

Anyway, their power consumption exceeds the capacity of the fuse block and associated wiring. I would install a direct from battery lighting wire with a inline fuse on the wire to power the HD lighting. We already know it is drawing enough amperage to roast a 10 amp circuit, so It's going to require something higher rated than that.
                        What is the wattage of the HD's?

Depending on what the consumption rate is, there may not be enough charging system capacity to keep the battery charged because of the HD current draw.
                        HD.LAMPS is what is listed on the fuse box cover.

The workshop manual states that this fuse protects the headlamp, tail lamp, rear number plate lamp, instrument lamps, and high beam indicator lamp.

I replaced the headlamp bulb a long time ago with the standard H4 60/55W halogen after-market bulb. All lights in good working condition.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          It's not that sinister, HD.LAMP stands for Headlamps.

Comment

HD.LAMPS is what is listed on the fuse box cover.

The workshop manual states that this fuse protects the headlamp, tail lamp, rear number plate lamp, instrument lamps, and high beam indicator lamp.
                            Is this an aftermarket fusebox and did you wire it according to the instructions or did you wire it to match the OEM wiring/configuration. If this fusebox is wired and configured different than the OEM fusebox you may have too many things on the fuse and be pulling too much current.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                              Is this an aftermarket fusebox and did you wire it according to the instructions or did you wire it to match the OEM wiring/configuration. If this fusebox is wired and configured different than the OEM fusebox you may have too many things on the fuse and be pulling too much current.
                              OEM fusebox. Wired exactly like original

Comment

Working...
                              X