Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot fuse box

Default Hot fuse box

Am getting hot fuse box while ignition key is on (79'GS1000E)and bike not running. I have replaced with new fuse box with the 4 fuses and am it's still getting hot to the point that it will blow the main fuse if I leave it on long enough. Am troubleshooting trying to find bad connection. Also I'm in the process of replacing R/R with upgrade. Can someone tell me why there is 2 fuse boxes on this model. One with the 4 fuses and one other with just one fuse. I believe the one fuse box is called the terminal relay.

1)What does this(output terminal) do/protect as is does not have a outlet wire?

2)Can someone tell me what would be the first things to check for cause of hot fuse box? Possible corrosion or bad ground somewhere?

If you have the ignition key in the “on” position, AND, if the points are closed, that will ground the coil circuit and it will probably be pulling 4 or 5 amps through the ignition fuse. I am not sure how hot “hot” is, but I imagine it will get warm.
    1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

To clarify hot, I mean it will burn your skin if you touch it. It partially melted the original plastic fuse box.

Quote Originally Posted by tsassman View Post
    Am getting hot fuse box while ignition key is on (79'GS1000E)and bike not running. I have replaced with new fuse box with the 4 fuses and am it's still getting hot to the point that it will blow the main fuse if I leave it on long enough. Am troubleshooting trying to find bad connection. Also I'm in the process of replacing R/R with upgrade. Can someone tell me why there is 2 fuse boxes on this model. One with the 4 fuses and one other with just one fuse. I believe the one fuse box is called the terminal relay.

1)What does this(output terminal) do/protect as is does not have a outlet wire?

2)Can someone tell me what would be the first things to check for cause of hot fuse box? Possible corrosion or bad ground somewhere?
    1. this is an "accessory" terminal, is not used normally.

2. Hook up an amp meter to the main power wire of the fuse box.
    Disconnect the fuses one by one and hopefully you will find a circuit that draws power.
    If so you have narrowed down the search area and can go look for the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by pdqford View Post
    If you have the ignition key in the “on” position, AND, if the points are closed, that will ground the coil circuit and it will probably be pulling 4 or 5 amps through the ignition fuse. I am not sure how hot “hot” is, but I imagine it will get warm.
    AND if the kill switch is in the run position.
    I hope the test is performed with the killswitch set to off ....

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Look for the problem VERY NEAR or AT the fusebox.
    Heat is created by a too much electricity trying to get through a narrow place all-at-once. Like a panic in a narrow corridor, electrons pushing,shoving, getting hot and sweaty. The hottest heat will be at that "narrowing"...

examples: A connector lug can often partially cut the copper wire strands....that means all the electricity is trying to get through a few strands.

A fuse that is not fully pushed in will not have a full contact surface. It will be hot where the electricity is trying to cram through the little patch that is touching.

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gorminrider View Post
    Look for the problem VERY NEAR or AT the fusebox.
    Yep, the fault and hottest spot will be at the point of contact of whatever is causing the problem.
    I support entropy for all.

1) As far as the accessory terminal not normally being used. Does that mean that I can remove it?

2) Removing the fuses one by one and checking if it clears up will be done today.

Thanks for the replies.

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by tsassman View Post
    1) As far as the accessory terminal not normally being used. Does that mean that I can remove it?

2) Removing the fuses one by one and checking if it clears up will be done today.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, but I would not. You might want to add a phone charger or some other accessory some time.
    I support entropy for all.

Just verified that the main fuse is still getting extremely hot after about a minute with the key on. As suggested I started pulling fuses. The first one I pulled was the 10A HD. LAMPS. The main fuse no longer gets hot. So it seems that we have narrowed the cause, now for the solution.

1)Pull headlight and check/clean all connections to and from?
    2) If necessary run a new switched 12V accessory wire from fuse box to headlamp?