Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you wash your car with?

I wash my 30+ year old Tracker??????

There's been a water shortage in the West even BEFORE I bought my Tracker.

Still looks good to me -- and it's never spent a night in a garage. OK, OK, there was that one night after a Grateful Dead concert -- but she talked me into it!!!!!

It wasn't my fault -- REALLY!!!!

trackertop.jpg

AND it's a SUZUKI!!!
    Last edited by xkaes; 06-13-2021 at 03:06 PM.

'77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Rain, I've washed my Tundra once in 14 yrs.

Not completely true, the dealership where I bought it gives excellent lifetime services free oil changes and fluid top up for as long as I own the truck. And whenever I bring it in for something like tire changes or maintenance service checkup a free wash and clean inside.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

I bought some turtle wax car soap, just because . Seems to be alright?

As said Meguiars Not sure the flavor it is, what I like to use with foam cannon

Co workers got in a argument (LOL) about best way and product to remove road tar!

which lately seems to have gotten all over company truck and our personal trucks, thanks to a detour route that they sealed before it became a detour route?

For the tar I used a turtle wax product for tar and some of it was stubborn, so I used another product but can't remember name and it worked better than the turtle wax stuff. But then there were a few spots that stuff was having a problem with.

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trent View Post
    can't remember name and it worked better than the turtle wax stuff.
    ****wd40*****
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Don't try this at home kids: I originally used Joy dishwashing soap. I never noticed any negative effects, but I still cringe when I think of it. In '82 I bought this Indy Pace Car replica Z28, and in the decade I owned it never once drove it through a car wash. (It had 360 degrees of decals and tape.)

image.jpg

It it had a huge front anti-sway bar that was not even attached to the front wheels when I took delivery of the car that the dealer had driven 200 miles. It came back from dealer service once with little black spots on it. "It was probably nearby when we undercoated a car. Do you want us to clean it off?" This was a year that GM did not make a profit, but GMAC did - it was nearly 20% interest on the loan! Quality was not job one in those days. It cornered like it was on rails, though.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I did once, but I don't remember what I used.
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.

I simply can't get to grips with the notion of washing a car.
    It rains plenty, here.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave View Post
    ****wd40*****
    Nope it wasn't wd40 ,,,,that time!

Little story about the time I did use wd40,

My old neighbors wife worked for our local pharmacy, she often times went to near by towns and customers homes to pick up or deliver supplies.

The company car was a nice little two door car, and it was white.

The highway dept was resurfacing the four lane hwy heading south, I seen them doing it for weeks. They would strip off old asphalt, haul it off and reclaim it and do what they do at a nearby rock quarry and then they would lay it down, basically. they did one lane at a time for five ten mile and the traffic would drive on the other half?

Right before they lay down the new stuff they spray tar/tar like stuff down and lay new asphalt on top of that.

Well she dove off onto the freshly spray tar , she should have known everybody was staying in the right lane for a reason and at 45 MPH the four or six inch drop off was surely a sign she messed up!

Needless to say the car was a mess, really not as bad as I would have thought because I drove that hwy and knew exactly how it looks when they put that stuff down. the spray truck as a spray rod eight feet long with nozzles about every ten inches, so its not like the path she took was completely covered in tar.

Her husband and her two brothers had the car in the back alley working on getting the tar off, I help for a Little while ,the car was five month new LOL .

We did start off with the most non abrasive products and sometime on down the time we did use wd40...not gonna say what else they ended up using but at that point we/they had most of it off and I left incase of a explosion

Id say in a couple hours they were washing and waxing the car, I'm sure the new undercoating is still there.

Jethro is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

A credit card. I use one of those soft touch places when I care what the truck looks like, which isn't often.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I pressure wash with Meguires. The no touch method ensures that the paint does not get scratched.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R