New stable mate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New stable mate.

So after years of searching for an original cafe fairing for my '81 GS450S, I finally found one !! It just happened to be attached to an '80 GS450S. It has about 18000 miles, a title, a few dents here and there and an aftermarket exhaust. The ignition and key have been replaced with a non original setup and I am missing the seat lock and gas key but I do have one on order from Ebay and will be here in a couple days. All of this fun for only $700. I offered the seller less and he declined my offer. After thinking about it for 5 minutes, I called him back and accepted his terms. The time to buy something rare is when you see it !!
    I'm not sure how many of these are in the U.S. but I now have two.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Whoo hooo! I know you've been looking for a long time. Congrats and enjoy.
    I love those bikes.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good on you! Does your wife ride?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Very Nice Larry D.,
        I was all set-up to purchase a 1980 GS450E with similar red factory color from a fellow up in MI. this past April,only the seller pulled-out after a year of waiting..
        I love those 450's !

Comment

Two GS' in decent shape for $700?

Glad you came to your senses...and I mean that in a kind way...even though I don't know you.

I have seen posts in the past about these lil guys but usually they are overseas...you are the proud owner of two rare bikes (for the US anyway).

Congrats!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Excellent score, Larry.
            Nice that you have the Barberry in a matching Suzuki red.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The ebay key came in the mail last night and worked perfectly. The gas tank is pretty clean inside. Now I just need to find the time to get a battery and see if it's got spark. It will be nice to get into a little wrenching again.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                Two GS' in decent shape for $700?
                What I understand from the first post is that he has had one of them for some time and has been looking for a fairing for it. Found the fairing, but it was attached to a nearly-identical bike. The SECOND bike (with fairing) was $700.
                If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

That is correct.
                  Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                  What I understand from the first post is that he has had one of them for some time and has been looking for a fairing for it. Found the fairing, but it was attached to a nearly-identical bike. The SECOND bike (with fairing) was $700.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                    Well, shiver me timbers!

I read that all wrong.

Larry, apologies for the misread.

EDIT: Still, not a bad price for the bike itself with fairing.

I wouldn't give you a hard time about buying a $200 bike like the owner of the bike shop I took my "T" to (when I first bought it), who is STILL very vocal in his opinion. He gave me the third degree about the cost to repair and get it roadworthy...so I'm battle-tested with my own opinions and don't mean to come across negative.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-15-2021, 04:09 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

No worries Ed. I figured I paid $300 for the fairing and $400 for the rest of the bike. Ha !!!
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

It really is a nice bike…the fairing is very unique and adds to the vintage look of the bike.

You did well in snagging it!!!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Well Done! E A S I L Y worth the price. ...if only for a few parts- though I wouldn't be suprised if it runs.... I have the GSX400E and finding the particular tachometer is an ongoing bak-o-the-mind nag, let alone the very specific tank, seat sidecovers etc...look for those on ebay and you will see you have a $10,000 motorcycle..

Comment

NICE!

I love seeing GS twins get fixed and used. They're such fun bikes.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                            X