Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Repair Shop

Distinguished GSR Members,

Over the past 15 years, I’ve browsed these hallowed forums for various and incredibly helpful information on these bikes. Since about 2015, my 1981 GS650G has been infrequently used. Recently, I’ve been moving toward getting it road ready again, and have run into some classic electrical issues relating to the starter.

Due to various life complexities, I just don’t have time to go it on my own these days. I am looking for a recommendation for a shop that knows these bikes and can deliver quality results. Ideally, I’d like the whole electrical harness gone through, if not replaced, toward the ultimate goal of making this bike reliable and enjoyable once again.

Anything in the Danbury / New Milford CT area would be ideal! Even quality shade-tree hobbyists are welcome. Help me get the ol’ girl up and moving again!

Can’t thank you enough!
    William

Welcome. I know member Rob S. used a shop somewhere in the NYC area to get his 1100E running w/ pod filters, so they might be able to help. What you're asking for won't be cheap. Search for Rob S. Got to Community in the title bar of this page, then Member list. Or maybe he'll chime in.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-14-2021, 12:27 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Okay. The man's name is Frank, the business name is Powerhouse Motorcycles. It's in West Babylon, exit 35 Wellwood Ave on the SS Parkway (next to the cemeteries). As unreasonable as that sounds, it is (sort of) accessible by mass transit. It's about a mile or two from a LIRR stop, and I walked it in August '19 on a close to 100 degree heat index day. (Cool guy. The second I walked into his shop, he pressed a bottle of ice water into my hand.) I sometimes visit old family members, who are interred practically a stone's throw from Powerhouse.

It won't be cheap, but you'll get what you pay for. He has a dyno, and one of his specialties is turbocharging Hayabusas. But he does have his 300 hp '77 KZ1000 in the showroom, so you know he goes back to the air cooled days.

I have tried to loan him my Haynes and official Suzuki shop manuals, but he says they have them. Besides, his partner in the back used to own an 11E just like mine. I have read about many of the very able DIYers on this site never being able to completely dial in the jets after podding and piping an 11E, but Frank said he got it on the third try. Got it - I have lived much of my life at redline. It's why I walk with a limp today!

Let me know if you get in touch with him. He wouldn't do any more than an inspection on my Sporty, but I doubt your bike will be a large challenge for him.
      Last edited by Rob S.; 06-14-2021, 12:11 PM.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thank you Rob S. and Rich! Reaching out tomorrow. I appreciate your help!

Comment

That’s what we’re here for. Good luck with you project. Let us know how it goes.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
          X