New Owner of 1980 GS450 - Carb Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner of 1980 GS450 - Carb Help Needed

I just picked up a 1980 GS450e several weeks back. I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs. I've dipped them and gotten everything ready to reassemble, but I need new o-rings. Anyone know where I can get the o-rings that go on the adjustment screw?

suzukiparthouse.com has the o-rings for the float bowl screw and the needle jet, but the adjustment screw o-ring isn't even in their diagram or on the parts list. And I've contacted Robert at cycleorings.com, and unfortunately he doesn't carry the o-rings for the 80'-82' 450s anymore.

I'm willing to order in bulk if I have to or whatever I need to do, since obviously I can't reassemble the carbs without o-rings. I'd just use the old ones but they have to be replaced because they are a bit torn.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by villainous_gamgee View Post
    I just picked up a 1980 GS450e several weeks back. I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs. I've dipped them and gotten everything ready to reassemble, but I need new o-rings. Anyone know where I can get the o-rings that go on the adjustment screw?

suzukiparthouse.com has the o-rings for the float bowl screw and the needle jet, but the adjustment screw o-ring isn't even in their diagram or on the parts list. And I've contacted Robert at cycleorings.com, and unfortunately he doesn't carry the o-rings for the 80'-82' 450s anymore.

I'm willing to order in bulk if I have to or whatever I need to do, since obviously I can't reassemble the carbs without o-rings. I'd just use the old ones but they have to be replaced because they are a bit torn.

Thanks for any help.
    This will get you double the number you need BUT you will have what you need for $14. The seller is a member of the message board here.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I asked about purchasing the partial CV kit for twins, which I'm pretty sure is just half of the kit you've linked to. He already told me those won't fit my carburetors, though. Have you successfully used them on a 80'-82' 450?

Comment

There are Suzi twins that use basically the same carbs as their inline-4 cousins. The 80-82 450's aren't in that category -- they're entirely different. Hence the separate kit.

For your emulsion tube, you need a 1.1mm x 3.1mm (cross section by ID). I've tried O-rings that were extremely close, and they would not get the job done. I've seen this O-ring available at parts outlets like Beach Blvd. The Suzuki part number is 09280-03003, and its current price is $1.40 at Beach. This particular O-ring has to be spot on to provide the proper interference fit to hold the emulsion tube in place.

The adjustment screw takes a 1.25mm x 3.8mm. This one shouldn't be too tough to find.

Good luck with your project.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks robertbarr, I was thinking that was probably why the separate kit.

I appreciate the size references as well, that definitely helps - I was having a hard time finding the correct sizes.

And these need to be viton, not nitrile, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
            There are Suzi twins that use basically the same carbs as their inline-4 cousins. The 80-82 450's aren't in that category -- they're entirely different. Hence the separate kit.

For your emulsion tube, you need a 1.1mm x 3.1mm (cross section by ID). I've tried O-rings that were extremely close, and they would not get the job done. I've seen this O-ring available at parts outlets like Beach Blvd. The Suzuki part number is 09280-03003, and its current price is $1.40 at Beach. This particular O-ring has to be spot on to provide the proper interference fit to hold the emulsion tube in place.

The adjustment screw takes a 1.25mm x 3.8mm. This one shouldn't be too tough to find.

Good luck with your project.
            Again, thanks for clearing that up, I thought they where the same.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by villainous_gamgee View Post

And these need to be viton, not nitrile, correct?
              Nitrile will be fine.

You need the Viton for the intake O-rings, since they are in direct contact with the cylinder head. Even then, they don't last much beyond 6 - 8 years, IME.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks again robertbarr!

Comment

Working...
                X