Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to install new tires on my 83' GS750ES,recommendations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to install new tires on my 83' GS750ES,recommendations ?

I have purchased a 1983' GS750ES that needs some work to get it running and I'm waiting for the shipper to arrive with the bike.I'll be slowly fixing it up as $ will allow.
    I want to do some research to eventually purchase a set of very good tires for it and want to stay with the stock sizes:Rear 120/90x17 and the more difficult front which is a 100/90x16.. The wheel sizes are,rear:2.50x17 and front:2.15x16.
    I appreciate helpful feedback,thanks Bill

This is one of many threads with peoples experience

The names that keep coming up are Bridgestone Battlax, Avon Roadrider, Pirelli Sport Demon and Shinko. I have settled on Continental using the TKV 11 & 12, the Contigo and am going to try a Contitour on the front soon. The 100/90 16 is available here in Bridgestone, Pirelli and Metzler Roadtec and Dunlop Arrowmax at about the $130 mark delivered.
    A lot depends on availability, budget and personal preference or riding style.
    If you happen on tyre reviews bear in mind that the GS machines are most likely heavier and underpowered compared to the testers ride.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The Shinkos are great tires and will fit very easily into the budget you described before
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        This is one of many threads with peoples experience

The names that keep coming up are Bridgestone Battlax, Avon Roadrider, Pirelli Sport Demon and Shinko. I have settled on Continental using the TKV 11 & 12, the Contigo and am going to try a Contitour on the front soon. The 100/90 16 is available here in Bridgestone, Pirelli and Metzler Roadtec and Dunlop Arrowmax at about the $130 mark delivered.
        A lot depends on availability, budget and personal preference or riding style.
        If you happen on tyre reviews bear in mind that the GS machines are most likely heavier and underpowered compared to the testers ride.

Brendan,this is very helpful information as I want an excellent pair of tires on it;I'll save-up then get a good pair.Do you know,is the Bridgestone Battlax 16" front a radial ? thanks,Bill
        Last edited by grcamna2; 06-17-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The 100/90-16 front limits your options quite a bit -- normally we'd recommend the Shinko 712 or 230 for folks on a budget, but Shinko does not make a tire in this size.

The options are:

FWIW, American Moto Tire is a FANTASTIC supplier. Highly recommended, and they stock weird sizes like this. Their site is a great way to research what options are available for oddball sizes.

The Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 and the Pirelli Sport Demon are fantastic tires and highly recommended.

The IRC Durotour RS310 is also quite good, and $20 or so cheaper.

Kenda motorcycle tires are dangerous junk. Avoid under all circumstances.

Metzelers are expensive, short-lived, and out of stock anyway.

Now, if you also want a matching rear in that exact size, 120/90-17, your only option is the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45. (Or a BT-46, the slightly updated model)

The Avon AM26 Roadrider is also a fantastic tire, but they don't make a 16" front.

I do know some folks move to a 130/90-17 rear because it's a far more easily available size. (For example, you could use the Pirelli Sport Demon if you move to a 130 in the rear.) I do not know what the effects, if any, on handling might be for this bike, so I'll leave that up to others to answer.

If it were me, I'd order up a Bridgestone BT-45 front and a BT-46 rear (it's $40 cheaper than the BT-45) in the original sizes and call it a day.

And no, these are not radials. Radials are only available in a few specific vintage sizes. The BT-45 is a fantastic tire, far beyond anything they had in 1983.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've used the BT 45 on my 1150 for years. I'm not an overly aggressive rider and they have served me well.
            I've found that the fronts tend to cup toward the end of their lives and get a bit sketchy.
            I've always chalked the cupping up to the 1150's heavyweight status. Your 750 is likely a good bit lighter.

I used to run +1 on the sizes but the current set is stock. I've noticed no real handling difference.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Brian,Do they also have a BT-46 front 16" ? I looked but didn't see them.I called a tire supplier back East and he said they've discontinued the BT-45's since about a year or so.
              I want to stick with the stock sizes but want to avoid Kenda and other cheap tires.I've run the IRC Durotour on other bikes,lasted quite a while.
              Last edited by grcamna2; 06-21-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Bill, did your bike arrive yet from the haulers?
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Bill, did your bike arrive yet from the haulers?

Hi Rich,thanks for asking.I just texted the shipper this morning(he said it would be 'today' last Thursday when we texted)and he said he 'had a breakdown' and it'll be 2 more days.This is frustrating Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    I've used the BT 45 on my 1150 for years. I'm not an overly aggressive rider and they have served me well.
                    I've found that the fronts tend to cup toward the end of their lives and get a bit sketchy.
                    I've always chalked the cupping up to the 1150's heavyweight status. Your 750 is likely a good bit lighter.

I used to run +1 on the sizes but the current set is stock. I've noticed no real handling difference.

Thanks for your feedback Glen.

Comment

If you really want a radial...
                      I've run a couple of 130/80-R17 on the back of mine simply because they were at the right price and radial, too.
                      No downside to them at all. In fact, the first one I tried impressed the socks off me as it cornered like on rails.
                      This size is commonly available as an enduro tyre, but the bikes they get fitted to barely see any dirt and riders happily use them on tarmac all year round.
                      Indeed, I'll be fitting one of that size soon (Metzeler Tourance) until I sort out the final fitting of my Darkside ratio.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                        Brian,Do they also have a BT-46 front 16" ? I looked but didn't see them.I called a tire supplier back East and he said they've discontinued the BT-45's since about a year or so.
                        I want to stick with the stock sizes but want to avoid Kenda and other cheap tires.I've run the IRC Durotour on other bikes,lasted quite a while.

You... called? Like with a phone and using like, words from your mouth? How very primitive...

Looks like Bridgestone is making or is gonna make the BT-46 front, but whether or when you can get your mitts on one in the US of A, I dunno:
                        Bridgestone Corporation is the world's largest tire and rubber company. In addition to tires, Bridgestone manufactures diversified products, which include industrial rubber and chemical products as well as sporting goods.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have sport demons on mine...buy them...be done with it. It's not that hard.

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            I have sport demons on mine...buy them...be done with it. It's not that hard.

What sizes you running ?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              You... called? Like with a phone and using like, words from your mouth? How very primitive...

Looks like Bridgestone is making or is gonna make the BT-46 front, but whether or when you can get your mitts on one in the US of A, I dunno:
                              https://www.bridgestone.com/products...0&rim_width=16

That's helpful information.
                              I'm glad to see they'll have the stock front,when they'll be available is another thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X