fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil

Hi all, can anybody tell me how much fork oil to put in a set of gsx1100esd front forks.
    Thanks for any help

A manual would give you the number of CCs, but general rule of thumb is to remove the spring, collapse the fork, fill it to about 6-7 inches from the top.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

US/Canada models were not GSX, Just GS
      Look for this manual:
      GS1100 '80-'83 T,LT,EX,SZ,EZ,SD,ED,ESD (37MB) - Direct Link
      on BikeCliff's website (linked in my signature). Top section, middle column. Your bike should be covered in this one. Look in the model specific area toward the back of the book.

Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Big thanks to you both it's 246cc according to the link from rich82gs750tz

Comment

The amount of fork oil is entirely irrelevant and only an approximation; what matters is the fork oil level, which should be set + or - 1mm.

Most of us overfill by a bit, then use a large syringe with a marked tube to slurp out the excess and set a precise level.

The most common fork oil level on vintage GS bikes is 140mm (fork collapsed all the way, held vertically, spring out.) from the top. What it should be for your specific bike I dunno.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X