Irish Road Racing 2nd year of panic-demic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Road Racing 2nd year of panic-demic

Road racing dates for 2021: What’s on, what’s not?

The 2021 Irish road racing season is set to roar into life with the Armoy Road Races in County Antrim in July.

By Kyle White
    Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 1:33 pm
    The ‘Race of Legends’ is one of only two Irish national events set to go ahead this year along with the postponed Cookstown 100 in September.

Every other Irish roads meeting, including the North West 200, has been cancelled for a second successive year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

In 2020, the Cookstown 100 was the only Irish national road race that went ahead with restricted spectator numbers.

The organisers operated a ticket-only event and a similar approach is being adopted this year for the Co Tyrone meeting, which is due to take place from September 10-11. Visit www.cookstown100.org or the events Facebook page for details.

Admission to the Armoy meeting (July 30-31) will also be ticket-only. Details can be found at www.amrrc.com.
    Uncertainty remains over the future of the Ulster Grand Prix - traditionally held in August - after the event was axed last year as a result of the debt crisis facing the Dundrod & District Motor Club.

A number of short circuit races are scheduled to go ahead over the next few months at Bishopscourt and Kirkistown in Co Down, starting with the first Ulster Superbike round at Kirkistown on July 10, which was postponed from June 5 due to spectator restrictions.

The Dunlop Masters Superbike Championship at Mondello Park is set to get under way from June 26-27. Further rounds are scheduled for July 24-25, August 28-29, September 25-26 and October 9-10.

In England, the Scarborough Spring Cup was successfully run at Oliver’s Mount in May. Further events are planned at the 2.43-mile Woodland course, including the showpiece Gold Cup in September.

The Isle of Man TT, Southern 100 and all other Manx road racing events have been called off this year.

I don't live in Ireland but the sport really appeals to me.
    "Uncertainty remains over the future of the Ulster Grand Prix" WOW, really sad loss if that's gone…
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-19-2021, 03:57 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

One of-if not-the most beautiful countries I've ever traveled around. I love Ireland.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

They'll be back. There's enough local support - and local businesses gain enough from the events being run that they will return.

Given the situation in the UK at present, I think cancelling is a wise decision.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        They'll be back. There's enough local support - and local businesses gain enough from the events being run that they will return.

Given the situation in the UK at present, I think cancelling is a wise decision.
        This question may result in a digression but; Will there be a 3rd year of CV-19 restrictions?
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          This question may result in a digression but; Will there be a 3rd year of CV-19 restrictions?
          The answer will probably depend on world immunization successes-or failures, along with any variants that prove resistant.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            I'd suspect that when they do return, the first year back will have travel restrictions as a minimum.
            Quite possibly no-one from the UK mainland.
            But that's a guess.

Comment

Working...
            X