Look what they did to my beatiful boy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what they did to my beatiful boy!

Hello everyone! So I've been on the forum since 2017 since I got my '81 gs850. I've taken in around the country three times most recently in July 2020. I rode from New Orleans, to Arkanasas then across Oklahoma to New Mexico. It was super rad. Hung out in Taos, then my friends earthship in Espanola. I met Burke73 who helped me fix an oil leak on the valve cover gasket (I used a to thin one from Ebay) in Albuquerque. We shot the $hit for awhile, one of the nicest people I've ever met. I meant to make a post about it. I wanted to say how the GS850G was a pretty viable touring platform and how it was rad to meet someone from this forum in the flesh. I put off posting about it because I moved into a new place and was settling into my mid pandemic life in New Orleans. I had ridden the rear Shinko down the cords in about 4k miles by my estimate. I decided to bite the bullet and get a nicer tire, had a shop put it on because my pal who usually helps me was busy parked the bike in my driveway and boom next day bike was gone! I thought about posting about it here but I figured some teenager stole it and would crash it, the cops would find it and I'd get it back, in some sorta way. Then I found a pretty mint '86 Kawasaki concours. The guy turned out to be a friend of a friend and he offered it to me for $1,800. It was a revelation, like riding a space ship compared to the GS850G. To be honest I did miss the old girl a bit, yea she wasn't fast, but she was fast enough and she sounded great up around 7k. There was something about how the GS850G was rough around the edges. Plus there's always something about your first bike, right? Recently I was even thinking how I should get another Air cooled Japanese bike from this era. I mean I think I'll always loved big air-cooled Japanese bikes the best for some reason. Probably the fins. All that said I wasn't as sad as I thought I would have been. Like if you had asked me last year how I would feel if this bike was stolen I would say devastated but after it happen I just sorta shrugged my shoulders. Maybe because after all the $hit I've been through in the last couple years this really pales in comparison, I mean it's a machine, it's not a person, it's replaceable and It helps that I had money to replace it.

Maybe ya'll can tell where this story is going and why I posted it in "projects" The bike has been recovered. It's running and appears that the previous "owner" was attempting some sort of hacky stupid Cafe racer sorta thingie? I think? I made a flickr album

If your wondering, the bike does run. You use that switch dangling from the "headlight". It actually runs sorta of ok if you ignore the large amounts of gas the the two right side carbs leak from the pod filters. It does suck how much I had the bike "dialed in" before it was stolen. Yea it was sorta ratty but all the stuff worked and it had a ugly but very comfy sissy bar ( I should probably post some before pics). Now the tank and seat keys are busted off and I dunno much of the nicer features are stripped off. I really wanted to keep her original for as long as possible. She's had a rough time, there are sorts of new dents in the tank. I Digress. I want ya'll to tell me what I should do? I don't think I want to try to bring it back to it's original O.E.M 1981 glory but I think the old girl deserves some sort of new life, could be a fun around town bike? When I pulled it out of the garage to take these pics I started day dreaming. I even thought, huh could be an ok looking custom bike without much work... would maybe be fun to have a project bike since I already have a pretty low maintenance main ride. It's sort of a testament to it's build quality that it's still running. But what ya'll think? Maybe I'll revisit some of these other projects people have posted. I am leaving in about two weeks for maybe two months? Taking the Kawasaki up north, gotta see the family and maybe I'll go to canada if they'll let me in. But could be a cool winter project though
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Sorry to hear that. Oof-that's a rough-lookin' unit now.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah,it needs more work.Will you bring it back close to stock if you get the parts ?
      How did you recover it;did you have to pay $ to get it back in your possession ?

Comment

Hey MrHedges. Thanks for the kind words.

What a drag about the bike! I'm glad you got another though, and a "space ship" at that. LOL
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
          Yeah,it needs more work.Will you bring it back close to stock if you get the parts ?
          How did you recover it;did you have to pay $ to get it back in your possession ?
          Did not have to pay. It was found abandoned by a friend of a friend. I think I would bring it back to close to stock if I had the parts. I at-least want to put an airbox back on it. I don't really get "airpods" they seem like a pain for not much gain
          1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
            Did not have to pay. It was found abandoned by a friend of a friend. I think I would bring it back to close to stock if I had the parts. I at-least want to put an airbox back on it. I don't really get "airpods" they seem like a pain for not much gain

That's good you didn't need to pay(storage charges,etc.)and it found it's way back to you.I would hate to 'not know' where it went ! There were bicycles stolen in my past and that really s*cks but a motorcycle gone missing would be too much for me.
            Last edited by grcamna2; 06-21-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

.......................... I met Burke73 who helped me fix an oil leak on the valve cover gasket (I used a to thin one from Ebay) in Albuquerque. We shot the $hit for awhile, one of the nicest people I've ever met. .......
              About a month ago Mr Roger Burque posted about that..
              Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              Member MrHedges was on an adventure out West and his valve cover gasket sprang a leak. He had a gasket shipped to my house a few days prior then stopped in for an afternoon. We enjoyed some GSR "family time" wrenching and eating lunch. He left here and headed to Big Bend park in Texas.

Sorry to hear about your 850. But thanks for sharing the story.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ew,someone did that to a bike they could not title, and then abaondon it.
                IMG_20210617_182347044_HDR by loppy production, on Flickr

IMG_20210617_183847486_HDR by loppy production, on Flickr

IMG_20210617_182340963_HDR by loppy production, on Flickr

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A junkie made the bike look like junk lol what a suprise, that headlight Is terrible. And the tail end is no better. It's a good thing you got it back, sucks they put pods on there.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

If you can find the half of the airbox that connects to the carbs on ebay you could put a performance air filter on their to get a increase in air to the bike but not be as annoying to work with as pods. A cafe would be nice and you could paint the mudguard, tank, and fairings a different colour scheme, get a used rear mudguard and shorten it up a bit. I would change the bars on it to cb400f bars I just like the look it looks like the bike could've came with them back then.

A OEM headlight and taillight housing would be nice too lol
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Ugh. At least the frame and exhaust aren't cut.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I think I have an air box that would work. Pm me.
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                          If you can find the half of the airbox that connects to the carbs on ebay you could put a performance air filter on their to get a increase in air to the bike but not be as annoying to work with as pods. A cafe would be nice and you could paint the mudguard, tank, and fairings a different colour scheme, get a used rear mudguard and shorten it up a bit. I would change the bars on it to cb400f bars I just like the look it looks like the bike could've came with them back then.

A OEM headlight and taillight housing would be nice too lol
                          That's a good idea with the airbox. I never heard of that. I was also thinking of shorting the mudguard maybe putting the brakelight undernearth the seat. There's a hoop there that I could probably fit it to. I'm thinking just an LED Round headlight and maybe a bullet fairing? make it cafe racer esq but still be a practical around town bike.

I also need new ignition, gas and under the seat locks if anyone has one kicking around
                          1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

That's a good idea with the airbox. I never heard of that. I was also thinking of shorting the mudguard maybe putting the brakelight undernearth the seat. There's a hoop there that I could probably fit it to. I'm thinking just an LED Round headlight and maybe a bullet fairing? make it cafe racer esq but still be a practical around town bike.

I also need new ignition, gas and under the seat locks if anyone has one kicking around
                            Could always get a dyna, and yes I'd agree a cafe bike could be a good route to go with now. I think itll be fun to do.

There are a few people who have done the air filter fitted on the airbox on here and they all have positive feedback from the mod, hopefully one of them come across this
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                              I think I have an air box that would work. Pm me.
                              I thought I sent you a PM but I guess not?
                              1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X