Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1986 gs550es carb removal help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Killer2600 View Post
    In order to remove, you remove the threaded nut completely and the cable and plunger will come out as a unit. From your video, it appears that you have broken the nut off of the threaded part which explains why you can't get it out of the carb - the threaded part is keeping it in the carb.

I double checked and unfortunately you are right. The lower portion of that hollow pass through hex nut is broken off in the body of the carb. The "good" news is that it appears to be plastic so I should be able to cut it out around the edges to remove it. Thanks for noticing that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    I think killerís got it. That nut is actually a hollow bolt, the threads of which are still in the carb body. Before you attempt to remove the other one from carb 2, get some PB blaster or other penetrating oil soaking in there for a while.

I put some penetrating oil in it and am letting it sit. As I mentioned in the response to KILLER it's plastic and the oil said "safe on plastic"....we'll see. Thanks Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulElmhurst View Post
    I put some penetrating oil in it and am letting it sit. As I mentioned in the response to KILLER it's plastic and the oil said "safe on plastic"....we'll see. Thanks Rich.
    The nut if broken off can be finessed out with a pick on an angle to make it rotate.
    It is nylon no heat also be aware that fine dust migrates into the plunger housing slurry from rainwater on the road.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

SUCCESS!!! Thanks to everyone for their help!!! Cipher that was a great suggestion using a pick to slowly rotate the broken end out. Also thanks to Rich and Killer for all their help. Your time and advice is greatly appreciated. Here is a video update for you guys: https://youtu.be/eKww_gKp6sE

Paul & Luke

I am following this thread. I have a low mileage 86 GS550ES. When I saw your post, I went to the garage to look at my choke cable, the left side choke cable plunger was also cracked off_with the threaded part still in the left carb. Are you going to replace the entire cable or just the plunger? I ordered both but could not find a Suzuki plunger, but did find this aftermarket_plunger set. I am not sure how to "sync" both cables to each of the two carbs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/36314355804...6843%7Ciid%3A1

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette95 View Post
    I am following this thread. I have a low mileage 86 GS550ES. When I saw your post, I went to the garage to look at my choke cable, the left side choke cable plunger was also cracked off_with the threaded part still in the left carb. Are you going to replace the entire cable or just the plunger? I ordered both but could not find a Suzuki plunger, but did find this aftermarket_plunger set. I am not sure how to "sync" both cables to each of the two carbs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/36314355804...6843%7Ciid%3A1
    Hi Corvette95: It's nice to find another 1986 GS550ES owner that I can compare notes with. I am just going to replace the plunger which I had not looked it up yet so thanks for the link. I don't think syncing them is necessary in my case. I think just replacing them when I re-install the carbs is just a matter of feeding it into the carbs and screwing it back in. Looks like it is an easy swap (famous last words). I did a short video for you to see what is involved. https://youtu.be/GSdbQXKyZII Let me know if you need anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulElmhurst View Post
    Hi Corvette95: It's nice to find another 1986 GS550ES owner that I can compare notes with. I am just going to replace the plunger which I had not looked it up yet so thanks for the link. I don't think syncing them is necessary in my case. I think just replacing them when I re-install the carbs is just a matter of feeding it into the carbs and screwing it back in. Looks like it is an easy swap (famous last words). I did a short video for you to see what is involved. https://youtu.be/GSdbQXKyZII Let me know if you need anything else.
    Single cable routes from bar lever to a place under fuel tank where it is mechanically joined in a small plastic case to two cables that terminate at the plungers.
    There's no synching as such in that the two end bits are shortish and subject to minimal stretch.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s