Broken bolt in clutch basket / new bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken bolt in clutch basket / new bolts

So I decided to DIY replace the clutch plates and was torquing the bolt springs when I busted a bolt head right off probably a result of a cheap torque wrench and inexperience (I have ordered a digital torque wrench for my next attempt). Have any of you ever had this happen, and do you have any tips in removing it with an extractor? I figured it was probably a good idea while im still in there to replace all 6 bolts and washers.. I found hardened machine bolts and zinc washers at my local hardware store.. but I wonder should i be getting Suzuki OEM replacements or will these local hardware shop bolts and washers do the trick? Any insight would be most appreciated, thank you!

Patrick
    1982 GS850GL - 75k on the clock!

Removing a broken bolt from a clutch hub pillar can be very tricky. There's effectively no margin for error.
    Personally, I'd take the hub to a TIG welder and get a scrap bolt welded to the visible end of the broken one.
    It will then be possible to simply wind it out with no damage to the thread.

Yes, your substitute bolts should be fine. There's not a lot of load on them anyway.

Comment

Yep, what he said. But also anytime trying to drill into a broken bolt, find a left handed bit, many times will spin it out before you get it drilled.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

UPDATE: I managed to back the broken bolt out of the clutch spring, she's running again running, smooth shifting through all gears. *However*, it doesn't want to shift into first gear, it will stall. I can coax it to go if i up the revs then shift into first, but when I do, it doesn't show '1' in the gear indicator (weird). Is this a result of not having enough free-play in the clutch cable? I have it currently set at 3mm (specs call for 2-3mm); or could it be a stuck plate? Thought i would ask before i started messing around with free-play, this has been a tough project for me.

Comment

The less the free play, (tighter the cable) the more the plates separate when squeezing the lever, the more free play the less they separate when squeezing the lever. Also be sure the little lever the cable connects to, at the clutch cover, is adjusted for the most travel.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
          X