Buying GS 1100 GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying GS 1100 GK

I'm looking at buying a GS 1100 GK and converting it to a cafe racer for a commuter bike. I found a 82' with 10k miles for $1950. I know nothing about these bikes, have a 2000 DRZ400S for a trail bike. I was going to try and negotiate a bit on price, is the current number a good deal? Also, is there anything I should look for when checking out the bike? Any tips appreciated, thanks!

gs1100.jpg
    Last edited by egrant; 06-21-2021, 12:50 PM.

In my mind, couple of things that make an 1100GK less than the ideal candidate for a cafe build, if we consider the tenets of a cafe bike. If you believe google: "The goal is to make the bike more lightweight, stripping the bike down to its bare essentials, to give it better handling and a sportier appearance"

GK is big, was designed for and came w/ full fairing and big hard side and top case, I believe.
    Forks are bigger in diameter than standard.
    It's heavy, w/ an engine roughly twice the size (displacement) of the typical cafe build.
    It's shaft drive. Not that you can't build a cafe w/ a shaft, plenty have. But it will never be "quick"

These are all just opinions. It's your bike (or could be). Do what you want. Don't forget to share pics of your progress. Would be fun to watch.

Welcome to the forum. A few helpful links in my signature to help you get acquainted here.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      In my mind, couple of things that make an 1100GK less than the ideal candidate for a cafe build, if we consider the tenets of a cafe bike. If you believe google: "The goal is to make the bike more lightweight, stripping the bike down to its bare essentials, to give it better handling and a sportier appearance"

GK is big, was designed for and came w/ full fairing and big hard side and top case, I believe.
      Forks are bigger in diameter than standard.
      It's heavy, w/ an engine roughly twice the size (displacement) of the typical cafe build.
      It's shaft drive. Not that you can't build a cafe w/ a shaft, plenty have. But it will never be "quick"

These are all just opinions. It's your bike (or could be). Do what you want. Don't forget to share pics of your progress. Would be fun to watch.

Welcome to the forum. A few helpful links in my signature to help you get acquainted here.
      Thanks for the tips, my goal is to have a stripped down bike without all the fairings and bags. I found a 750EX for a similar price that would probably be easier to convert to a cafe racer. I'm 6' 3", 230lbs so I want a bike that can cruise at 70 or 80 without issue, which is why I originally thought of going with the 1100GK. Thinking more, I'd rather have something lighter that I can make more powerful.

Comment

Another thing to consider:
        If you're planning on running pod filters. I don't know what year the GK is (or even what years it was made). Before 1980, it would have had VM carbs, that by most accounts are easier to tune w/ GOOD pod filters. The 750EX ("X" tells me it's a 1981) would have CV carbs, trickier to make run well w/ pod filters, by most accounts (no personal experience).

Also, when people cafe a bike, they tend to employ rear suspension and front fork "upgrades" that may give the bike the look you're going for, but will otherwise destroy the steering geometry designed into the these bike by some very smart Japanese dudes, and will make the handling something you definitely wouldn't want to take on a 80 mph interstate cruise.

I'm really not trying to talk you out of this. But you aught to know what you could be getting yourself into.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by egrant View Post
          I'm looking at buying a GS 1100 GK and converting it to a cafe racer for a commuter bike. I found a 82' with 10k miles for $1950. . . . . .

Small pic, Looks like a fairly complete GK. THose are difficult to find anymore, most have been dee-Kayed either by crash damage or someone chopping it up. (I had to look for over a year to find one, and that was 15 years ago).
          Looks like you will be paying extra for the fact that it is a complete GK.

You could find more suitable bike to chopp up for less.

Other comment: TO my way of thinking "cafe racer" and "commuter" dont sound like could be the same bike.
          Last edited by Redman; 06-21-2021, 03:20 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Another thing to consider:
            If you're planning on running pod filters. I don't know what year the GK is (or even what years it was made). Before 1980, it would have had VM carbs, that by most accounts are easier to tune w/ GOOD pod filters. The 750EX ("X" tells me it's a 1981) would have CV carbs, trickier to make run well w/ pod filters, by most accounts (no personal experience).

Also, when people cafe a bike, they tend to employ rear suspension and front fork "upgrades" that may give the bike the look you're going for, but will otherwise destroy the steering geometry designed into the these bike by some very smart Japanese dudes, and will make the handling something you definitely wouldn't want to take on a 80 mph interstate cruise.

I'm really not trying to talk you out of this. But you aught to know what you could be getting yourself into.
            The GK is an 82. I don't know much about the benefits of pod filters other than they get rid of the airbox and add an intake noise. I was originally looking to cafe a bike primarily because I like the look. You aren't talking me out of it, I may just have to shift what I'm looking for. I'd rather keep the stock parts for now because I am rebuilding my drz engine currently and don't have space for 2 project bikes. It makes more sense to buy the 750EX, leave it as is and just removing the front fairing.
            Last edited by egrant; 06-21-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

1.JPG
              Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Small pic, Looks like a fairly complete GK. THose are difficult to find anymore, most have been dee-Kayed either by crash damage or someone chopping it up. (I had to look for over a year to find one, and that was 15 years ago).
              Looks like you will be paying extra for the fact that it is a complete GK.

You could find more suitable bike to chopp up for less.

Other comment: TO my way of thinking "cafe racer" and "commuter" dont sound like could be the same bike.
              I think you're probably spot on about the price being higher because it is a complete bike. It looks clean and doesn't have many miles for the year. I just don't love the look of a full cruiser with fairings and bags. It may be that a cafe isn't the right bike for what I'm trying to do. Really just want something simple without a bunch of extra parts. Trying to find something under 2k limits my options somewhat.
              Last edited by egrant; 06-21-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Hi! Today i bought a gs1100gk 1984. Its a roughly made café but it does look cool and ride ok for its age and km. (96 000km). It's also my first post.

(edit: im gonna ad front fender and i need to fix the clutch because i feel the wire is gonna break, its sooo hard). there is front light LED and also the tank is pure metal with no paint cover so i need to protect this from rust but i want to keep the raw metalic look.)

Screenshot 2021-06-26 015217.jpg
                Last edited by GK Café; 06-26-2021, 01:59 AM. Reason: more details

Comment

^^

That's a nice looking GK

Those are rather bulky/heavy bikes to begin with...but this one looks nicely done...front fender/brace stabilizer???

OP, good luck with your decision. Rich and Redman have given some thoughtful advice.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-26-2021, 11:14 AM.
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by egrant View Post
                    Thanks for the tips, my goal is to have a stripped down bike without all the fairings and bags. I found a 750EX for a similar price that would probably be easier to convert to a cafe racer. I'm 6' 3", 230lbs so I want a bike that can cruise at 70 or 80 without issue, which is why I originally thought of going with the 1100GK. Thinking more, I'd rather have something lighter that I can make more powerful.
                    I had an 1100G and then rode an 1100GK for years and loved the bike. I had no problem with it in city driving and on the highway it is excellent. In choosing between this and a variety of other similar bikes you would have to look for small differences to determine which bike is better for you. You are taller and heavier than me, so city would be even easier for you.

It is really comfortable to ride. and for me, that included an 1100 mile 24 hour ride that saw me tired, but still happy. It even survived a Looooong leap through the air when I hit a dip in the road and became fully airborne for about two seconds at 100+ MPH. and it handles fairly well on snow, although I do not recommend it on ice.

In a highway roll-on throttle comparison with an 1100E the GK held its own.

The fairing extends your riding season both early and late. but if you want to remove fairing and bags the bike will definitely be lighter by a hundred pounds or more, however it will not be a light-weight bike.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Kind'f interesting, argon. Never thought of the shaft dr. 8V GS1100GK @ 639lbs. would hold it own against a chain dr. 16V 560lb GS1100E. But really never thought about it much. Congrats grant, keep us updated.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X