Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another GS1000st restoration.

Hi folks, thanks for the forum.
    I have an Aussie GS1000st that I’m about to put back on the road.
    It was bought new by a mate of mine and I bought it off him in late 1982.
    I rode it for years, putting up 30,000kms a year for the first few years.
    For some reason I put heavy duty clutch springs and plate in, possibly just to build weird muscles in my left forearm.
    A paperboy smashed my fairing screen with a huge rolled up weekend edition and I have never found a decent replacement.
    I got bored in 1989 in Rockhampton(no twistys at all) pulled her apart, powder coated the engine casings and (I think it was around then) put an ally swing arm on ( ?memory says Katana, pics seems to say GSX) honed and new rings.

In the Nineties I got sick of the pyramid switches falling out and swapped the LH switchgear for a generic later model.

Anyhoo, I bought a Ducati Monster in 96 and they offered my $1000 trade-in,(the carbs were worth more than that!) so she went into mothballs.
    The Monster was replaced by a Speed Triple in 05 and the GS has slept on, getting turned over once every three months and started every year or two.

I’ve nearly finished a Landcruiser engine rebuild and the old girl is next on the list.

She needs forks rechromed/rebuilt, seat recovered, wheels refinished and a new exhaust and a general going over.
    Then I’ll decide just how far to go with the rebuild.

I’ll be back for help I’m sure.

CheersE696AF1C-7343-4DEC-97DB-E310237963B4.jpg Amberstaff

Good luck with the project. This is probably best there is for GS help & info. Welcome & keep us updated on the progress.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome to the site, Amberstaff.
      You can get a new screen from Gustaffson in Florida but you can probably find one cheaper and closer to you.
      The Fairings are sold by Air-Tech Streamlining in California. We provide the windscreen only. The pictures of the fairing are...
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Welcome to the site, Amberstaff.
        You can get a new screen from Gustaffson in Florida but you can probably find one cheaper and closer to you.
        https://bikescreen.com/products/suzu...00-s-1978-1980
        Hi Steve, thanks for the link.
        Do you know what thickness the Gustaffson screen is?
        I have never been able to get a stock thickness(?4mm-1/4”) screen in Australia.
        My fading memory also seems to recall that there was a difference between the SN and ST fairings, maybe a slight lip on the upper rear.
        Unfortunately my period photos are with the fairing removed.
        I lived in sub-tropical Queensland and used to ride-with out the fairing unless doing long trips.
        The biggest problem for me buying in the US is usually freight costs.

Comment

There's a place in the UK that has nice screens.
          SuzukiPerformancespares.com
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X