Slight noise sops when I pull in the clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight noise sops when I pull in the clutch

I'm pretty sure its the big bearing behind the clutch basket, but I'm not sure. I noticed that there is a small rattle type noise in neutral on my'81GS1000G which stops if I pull in the clutch. It isn't loud enough to hear when in gear. Everything is working fine. The only time I ever looked at the clutch was close to a decade and 2 sets of tires ago. It got a new clutch pack then, probably from Z1 Enterprises before they sold out.

I'm looking at Partzilla. There are three bearings. Anybody have any ideas on what I should buy before I take it apart? Right now, I'm thinking of the bearings, the gasket, and maybe the shaft seal, which currently isn't leaking. I've heard of some bolt and nut failures on 16valve GS This is an old man bike ridden by an old man. There is not the slightest problem with riding the bike. I have been doing a significant amount of city riding on it in the last couple years. More clutching about per mile on this bike than my others.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

May want to check it's not the usual suspect the clutch hub nut, the bearing usually is fine.
    Save some time and jump to 1:10
    This usually shows by bonking or vibrating.

Could be the springs in the clutch hub backplate are short and rattly.
    From your description i'd guess that's it but that is harder to solve.

Last edited by Rijko; 06-23-2021, 04:05 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Most likely, as mentioned, rattling clutch hub springs. A very common issue that's typically not a problem...until it gets really worn.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had my stock 83' GS1100ED clutch hub reworked by APE back in the early 90's(I sold the bike in the late 90's)and they sent it back to me Very strong with an extra plate behind it and Real beefy clutch hub springs back there.They sell that service for drag race applications.I know they're 'tooled up' to do that job and may possibly be able to replace your worn springs with a set of new,stronger ones?

Comment

Good news is that the 1000G used the same clutch hub as the 1100E, and those heavy duty backplate and spring kits are still available. I had a kit installed on my old 1000S clutch and it drastically improved the clutch action. A very worth upgrade.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks. I might look into that. The noise just started, and it is barely audible. it is a 60 something thousand mile bike, probably in the 66 to 68k range. I switched out the speedometer a long time ago hoping that the distance signal in it was the reason the self cancelling turn signals didn't work. That wasn't the reason, but the replacement was less sun faded too, so it stayed on. I'm actually proud of the miles.

I'll google APE about the basket. Where do we find parts now? The closest dealer, where my brother bought an X6 in the day stopped being a dealer and went to being a repair shop. Sold their part stock. Not that long ago, they I bought an OEM clutch cable there. Next closest has no parts and cares not for anything outside of selling new Suzukis, Indian Enfields, Triumphs, and Ducatis.

Comment

6 heavy duty shock absorber springs, 3 EN3B Rivets, 3 x EN3B spacers. This kit will banish the usual suzuki Clutch rattle for good! The rivets are weldable after installation.

This looks interesting.

Comment

That spring/rivet kit from the UK does look good.

Comment

In my experience, when the noise goes away with load applied through the clutch lifting mechanism, it's usually clutch basket endfloat.

This can be caused by a loose nut or by wear on the basket center. Fairly easily checked by trying the nut or pulling/pushing the empty basket in place.
                  A dial gauge on the basket will tell you how much endfloat is there. Shouldn't be more than about .002 - ,003inch.
                  Unfortunately, closing up the endfloat requires machining or grinding the hardened spacer the center needle roller bearing runs on.
                  It's do-able with the right gear. Or simply find a small engineering firm to do it.

Comment

To me, Like said, these old GS's were kind'f known for rattling clutches. Surprised at 60K it hadn't started a long time ago. Hopefully something minor like a loose nut, that was also kind'f common.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

APE told me that their billet clutch basket is deeper than the 1000G and won't fit, but they can do a repair and reinforce on my existing basket if needed. Four or six weeks though. So far, all I've done is put a couple hundred more miles on it. No noticeable change in the noise level. As long as the movement isn't going to eat the bearings, I'm ok with it. Maybe I'll buy the release bearing and the center one, and the gasket and make sure the but is tight. APE does still sell an upgraded nut if its loose, that might be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        ...make sure the but is tight.
                        Words to live by.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The APE black chromoly clutch hub nut is a very good upgrade.

Comment

Rob...Just hush...!!!
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

So it is confirmed that the 1100/1150 clutch hub nut is compatible with that on my 1000G? I've ordered the release bearing and the hub bearing and the washers. I can live with the noise, but if I take it apart I want to have parts tp put it back together. APE wants $30 for their nut. They are out in Rosamond, CA, where Willow Springs racetrack is. It appears that they sell head work for the 16 valve motors too.

Their website:

Comment

Working...
                              X