Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My truck has a

This happened on My Bonneville...

I blew a bulb and replaced it with what I had ready, a LED. Well the CAN bus was totally out of whack in the ECU.

The remedy... Swap back to a halogen and REFLASH the ECU... Turn signals are working great!

I thought I needed a new ECU as I couldn't figure it out and the LED bulb cause the wrong side to flash (left instead of right) or not flash or all flash I thought Lucas prince of darkness came to reign hell on me, thank goodness Triumph opted out with Kehin to manage the ECU and body electrics... All good now after being versed of CAN bus and reflashing the ECU to adjust for bulb type.

Gone is the days of relays.
    Jedz Moto
    1978 Suzuki GS550E
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer - Fazer 900 The Mule
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125 - Back road discoverer
    1996 BMW R1100R
    2017 Honda Fit - The Cheap New Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedz123 View Post
    This happened on My Bonneville...

I blew a bulb and replaced it with what I had ready, a LED. Well the CAN bus was totally out of whack in the ECU.

The remedy... Swap back to a halogen and REFLASH the ECU... Turn signals are working great!

I thought I needed a new ECU as I couldn't figure it out and the LED bulb cause the wrong side to flash (left instead of right) or not flash or all flash I thought Lucas prince of darkness came to reign hell on me, thank goodness Triumph opted out with Kehin to manage the ECU and body electrics... All good now after being versed of CAN bus and reflashing the ECU to adjust for bulb type.

Gone is the days of relays.
    An ecu reflash to support led or just to reset the system.?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    An ecu reflash to support led or just to reset the system.?
    Flash to reset and set for LEDs.
    Jedz Moto
    1978 Suzuki GS550E
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer - Fazer 900 The Mule
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125 - Back road discoverer
    1996 BMW R1100R
    2017 Honda Fit - The Cheap New Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

This truck has a BCM, which "should" intuit things like LEDs. From what I have read (could be mythology, but it seems to be echoed), the BCM on that Ford truck can only be reflashed five times before it has to be replaced for any further stuff to be done. This is either a ground issue or a BCM issue, I'd bet.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    This truck has a BCM, which "should" intuit things like LEDs. From what I have read (could be mythology, but it seems to be echoed), the BCM on that Ford truck can only be reflashed five times before it has to be replaced for any further stuff to be done. This is either a ground issue or a BCM issue, I'd bet.
    Yeah, I'm thinking ground also. Been looking a lot at the rear of the truck now I think I should try locating something of a problem from the front of the truck. What I'd really like to find is an actual break or some other like frayed wire that could be the issue.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

Quote Originally Posted by alke46 View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking ground also. Been looking a lot at the rear of the truck now I think I should try locating something of a problem from the front of the truck. What I'd really like to find is an actual break or some other like frayed wire that could be the issue.
    Wont an ecu reader interface show a fault? Surely the dealers system will tag a defective bcm or any other bits.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

This is why my truck is old square body Chevy.

rphillips is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Yep wymple, you won't need an interface, ECU, nor BCM. Just a bulb, switch, or $3.99 flasher should do it.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by wymple View Post
    This is why my truck is old square body Chevy.
    I love those beasts.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Wont an ecu reader interface show a fault? Surely the dealers system will tag a defective bcm or any other bits.
    You can get a reading at oriellys they just hookup a computer and get a reading, the one good thing of having a computer running a car lol. If there isnt a post, all these brand new cars are sitting in lots not being able to be used, they dont have a computer and cant do anything without one and the Used car market is up a bunch because of the shortage
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin