GS1100E with Mikuni BDST 32 Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E with Mikuni BDST 32 Carbs

I'm beginning a restoration on a 1983 GS1100e that's been setting for about 20 years, and I'm looking for some advice.

I do not have the stock carbs for this bike; I have a set of Mikuni BDST 32 Flat Slide CV carbs that were installed by the previous owner (I think they are from an FZR600). I was wondering if anyone has any experience using these BDST carbs on a GS1100, and if they are worth keeping or I should look for replacements.

The bike isn't currently running. I need to thoroughly clean the carbs and replace all the seals (luckily the diaphragms are intact) before I can can see how the bike runs with them.

Also, to further complicate things, I don't have the stock air box or the stock exhaust; the previous owner was running pod filters and a 4 into 1 straight pipe (rusted out, not salvageable). So, as it stands, I'd imaging tuning even the stock carbs would be difficult.
    I'm looking to get a Delkevic exhaust of some sort, and I'm open to the idea of going back to the stock air box, if that has any bearing on the situation.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice. Should I go ahead and rebuild these BDST carbs? Should I get something else?
    Curious to see what you all have to say. Take care.

Edit: Here is a gallery with some photos of the bike, for anyone who is curious. Thanks
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like december454.
    Last edited by december454; 06-24-2021, 10:05 PM.

Welcome to the site. Would love to see pics of the old beauty.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Not sure I'd call it an "old beauty" just yet Hopefully it'll be beautiful by the end.
      I added a link to some photos in the original post.

Thanks for the response. Any suggestions about the carbs?

Comment

Edit: Here is a gallery with some photos of the bike, for anyone who is curious. Thanks
        http://imgur.com/gallery/6GQtal2
        The 1100 fired off on starting fluid for a second. She's a runner.
        the previous owner was running pod filters
        Got the pods ? If good ones the bike may have been setup properly and you may want to try the carbs as is to see how she runs with them before deciding.

Going with different carbs and pods may turn out to be a challenge to get the bike to run nice.

These bikes run excellent in standard trim, so personally i think i would look for an original airbox and carbs.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
          Got the pods ? If good ones the bike may have been setup properly and you may want to try the carbs as is to see how she runs with them before deciding.
          Unfortunately, I only have 3 of the 4 pod filters, and they are not usable. They're rusty and covered in old mud dauber nests.
          And, I would really need to clean and rebuild the carbs before even trying to see if it will run with them. The bike sat with the pod filters removed (maybe they just fell off since they didn't even have hose clamps on them ); the carbs have a lot of dirt and powdery oxidation inside the bores. And, all the seals are shot.

In other words, I'd need to drop $50 on a rebuild kit and give them a thorough cleaning, just to see if there's any chance they would work.

Here's a picture showing how rough the carbs are right now.

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
          These bikes run excellent in standard trim, so personally i think i would look for an original airbox and carbs.
          Perhaps that's the best route. If jetted right, do the stock carbs respond well to an aftermarket exhaust?

Thanks again for the response.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by december454; 06-25-2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by december454 View Post
            If jetted right, do the stock carbs respond well to an aftermarket exhaust?
            If the engine is stock, jetting for an aftermarket pipe is not a big deal.
            I would buy a Dynojet kit, it comes with all you need to get the bike running with a 4-1 pipe.

https://www.dynojet.com/jet-kit-for-suzuki-gs1100/

btw - your carb pics are not showing up for me
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thanks for that link, looks like a nice jet kit. I may start shopping around for the stock BS34SS carbs.

Also, I think I fixed the photo in the prior post, sorry about that.

Take care.

Comment

Working...
              X