My 83' GS750ES has been delivered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Flickr’s phone app sucks for posting pictures into websites and won’t do the bbcode.

Nice looking bike. Hopefully it runs as well as it looks

Thank you sir,I'm going to continue working/restoring it back into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      Wow!

Bill, you are very fortunate with this cross-country purchase--a story we here at GSR will never forget. Fairings are in excellent condition from the pics provided. Overall, a very gorgeous bike.

Ed

Ed,Thanks,you've been a wonderful source of encouragement to me along the journey;it took a bit of gumption to keep my hopes up but now I'm pumped !
      I thank all of you very kind members who have helped me also,I couldn't have done it without your help and wisdom.
      I'm glad I didn't attempt to travel out there and fix it in that man's garage;I may have set myself up for more unwanted suffering as I did back in 2018' with the GS450TXZ.

Comment

The carbs are gunked and I was considering getting a hot solution of purple-type cleaner to soak the rack in to soften that varnish without fully disassembling the rack.I would then blow them out and Then do the Gumout-blast.What do you fellows think,you ever do them that way ?
        I usually just use Gumout alone then blow them out.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
          The carbs are gunked and I was considering getting a hot solution of purple-type cleaner to soak the rack in to soften that varnish without fully disassembling the rack.I would then blow them out and Then do the Gumout-blast.What do you fellows think,you ever do them that way ?
          Lots of people have done it that way...And it doesn't work.

Do it proper, disassemble and dip. Ed already told you this, and has the links in his sig. Post #8
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You are wasting your time. Please follow the procedures that Nessism put together or you’ll follow the exact same steps as so many people who tried and continued to have problems; only to finally listen and go, “oh, I should have done that first”
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I understand,I'm considering dipping them a couple times in a mild solution also.I want to keep them looking original with that nice factory silver shine which they still have.I plan on getting some tutoring from Dave on how to post pics here from flickr on my phone;I'd like you folks to see how fresh these carbs look,the bike was garaged for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Lots of people have done it that way...And it doesn't work.

Do it proper, disassemble and dip. Ed already told you this, and has the links in his sig. Post #8

I will remove all the jets,etc. and make sure they are spotlessly clean before I say I'm done.
                I'm going to view the links that Ed has posted and use that also.
                The slides are ok but not great;they've been drilled for Dynojet Stage 3.. and I may want to see if there is any way to fix the rubber diaphragm on one or two or find replacement slides(big $) as a slight tear barely visible looks like it's started.There are 2 diaphragms that have been in a pinched position on #3 & #4 cylinders for years sitting in this mans garage.. I now have a set of the stock OEM jet needles #5D12 and will be installing those with a shim washer too.
                Last edited by grcamna2; 07-03-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

... I now have a set of the stock OEM jet needles #5D12 and will be installing those with a shim washer too.
                  Where are you going to put the washer? I ask because most who think they know about this will put it in the wrong place. And, to do it properly, you will likely need three or four washers PER CARB.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    Where are you going to put the washer? I ask because most who think they know about this will put it in the wrong place. And, to do it properly, you will likely need three or four washers PER CARB.

where do you recommend ?

Comment

Read the carb tutorial and follow it. Don't skip any steps. Inside the tutorial you will find information on how to shim the needles, should it be necessary, which is NOT certain.

That purple cleaner stuff is crazy strong alkaline solution that will corrode your carbs straight away. Stay away from that stuff unless you know what your getting yourself into. Simple Green Pro is a much better product for cleaning motorcycle parts because it won't corrode aluminum, but it's not a very good cleaner for carbs. For that you need carb dip.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I remember doing my first set of carbs. I printed out the tutorial so I could easily take notes and mark where I left off, as it was cetainly a multi-evening project for me.

I had 4 containers, one for each carb. Took tons of pictures right before removing a piece.

Followed it to a T.....and did the paperclip sync method. She fired right up and ran beautifully.

Shortcuts will only create issues, not results.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Read the carb tutorial and follow it. Don't skip any steps. Inside the tutorial you will find information on how to shim the needles, should it be necessary, which is NOT certain.

That purple cleaner stuff is crazy strong alkaline solution that will corrode your carbs straight away. Stay away from that stuff unless you know what your getting yourself into. Simple Green Pro is a much better product for cleaning motorcycle parts because it won't corrode aluminum, but it's not a very good cleaner for carbs. For that you need carb dip.

Will do Ed.
                          I have some Simple Green Pro 'Heavy Duty Cleaner' which is a light purple color(I've used it before) that I need to use-up.I will just give the carbs. an initial soak in that to possibly soften all the varnish after I remove the parts and keep them separate from each other.I understand(never used it yet) the purple power stuff won't do the parts too gently so I won't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            That purple cleaner stuff is crazy strong alkaline solution that will corrode your carbs straight away. ... Simple Green Pro is a much better product for cleaning motorcycle parts ..., but it's not a very good cleaner for carbs. For that you need carb dip.
                            Will do Ed.
                            I have some Simple Green Pro 'Heavy Duty Cleaner' which is a light purple color(I've used it before) that I need to use-up.I will just give the carbs. an initial soak in that to possibly soften all the varnish after I remove the parts and keep them separate from each other.I understand(never used it yet) the purple power stuff won't do the parts too gently so I won't use it.
                            You can lead a horse to water, ...

Comment

Cleaning the jets is easy. Cleaning and opening all the internal passages....not so much.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                                Cleaning the jets is easy. Cleaning and opening all the internal passages....not so much.
                                I have used a "bristle" from a wire brush for clogs and with a little help from a can of oil spray equipped with a long plastic "nozzle" it poked and blew its its way through easily.
                                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X