Help me choose 1100e fork swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose 1100e fork swap!

I have a lead on a ratty complete 1990 gsxr1100 front end that I can probably get for a couple hundred bucks in the next few days but I’m wondering if I should hold out for something else. I’ve done a bunch of research and it seems the late 90’s - 01 bandit rear end is the best so I’m wondering if I should just try to find a parts bike bandit to use all the susp and wheels off?

the old gsxr front ends seem pretty hard to find so if their is something newer and more common that would be way better. also don’t really mind if it is USD or standard. Actually kind of like the standard fork more because it’s more period correct. any suggestions would be very helpful.

I have not seen him around these parts in a while but if you want a really sweet end project look up Joe aka jwhelan65
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

FWIW, the last right way up GSXR forks are probably better than the first models of upside downs.
      Length is less of a problem too.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        I have not seen him around these parts in a while but if you want a really sweet end project look up Joe aka jwhelan65
        He passed away. You'll find thread in Rest In Peace forum.
        1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

I probably forgot that but as you mention it I'm saddened again by the loss of one of my fav GSRs members. Man did he build some awesome Bikes !!

gs110028_zps58c3288c.jpg
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-26-2021, 07:51 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Check oldskoolsuzuki.Info. they live and breathe modded bikes. In their archives is a fork swap chart.
            Just be sure to RTFR (read the f***** rules) if you join. Its a great site, but they don't tolerate lazy posting.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Check oldskoolsuzuki.Info. they live and breathe modded bikes. In their archives is a fork swap chart.
              Just be sure to RTFR (read the f***** rules) if you join. Its a great site, but they don't tolerate lazy posting.
              Thank you, theirs some good stuff on there. according to a chart on there those 90 1100 forks are almost the shortest out out of everything on the chart. I’m almost thinking maybe hold out and buy a blown up bandit 1200 and have everything I need in one place.

Comment

Ok so gonna go check out a donor bandit 1200 tomorrow. Looks like I can get it for like $400 and whole front end and whole rear end is there.

Comment

For $400 if both ends are in good shape you should go that route....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    For $400 if both ends are in good shape you should go that route....
                    Not really in good shape. they would need an overhaul but still cheap. I might be able to get a 92-96 gsxr1100 that sitting with it cheap too.

Comment

any reason you can’t just shorten the bandit steering stem that everyone says is too long and weld it back together?

Comment

Originally posted by fvnkybvnch View Post
                        any reason you can’t just shorten the bandit steering stem that everyone says is too long and weld it back together?
                        RF900 lower tree is plug and play. I had a friend machine 2 simple swing arm bushings. Takes a LOT of weight off. Chain guard is a bit difficult, they weren't expecting dual shocks.

http://network-pros.com/bike/80/112120.jpg
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                          RF900 lower tree is plug and play. I had a friend machine 2 simple swing arm bushings. Takes a LOT of weight off. Chain guard is a bit difficult, they weren't expecting dual shocks.

http://network-pros.com/bike/80/112120.jpg
                          oh man that looks sweet! yeah I heard of rf900 lower. I’ll have to look into that. luckily my work has a lathe and my a friend has one too so I should be able to make spacers easy enough. did you do anything crazy with different sprocket carriers? Or just a offset countershaft sprocket. also how is that delkevic? I wanted that same exhaust.

Comment

I swapped an 87 or 88 gsxr1100 fork/tree/wheel on mine. The good is that it's a pretty easy bolt on, had to drill 4 holes, 2 for stops and 2 to mount some angle so my gauges would bolt on. Also the 18" front rim looks very similar to my 1150 rear rim and I got better brakes. The bad is I had to use clip ons and they have to be mounted below the top tree. I ended up using Apex tall clip ons and they are pricey.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by fvnkybvnch View Post
                              oh man that looks sweet! yeah I heard of rf900 lower. I’ll have to look into that. luckily my work has a lathe and my a friend has one too so I should be able to make spacers easy enough. did you do anything crazy with different sprocket carriers? Or just a offset countershaft sprocket. also how is that delkevic? I wanted that same exhaust.
                              I used a 3/8 offset 530 sprocket and the stock Bandit hub and some combination of Bandit\GS spacers. I used a 190 rear tire, I do not recommend it. The chain was slightly self clearancing . The Delkevic seems well made but discolors quickly. It is IIRC for an 82\83 and with the Bandit arm and 'Busa footpegs there is no place to mount the rear. I made a temporary bracket under the muffler clamp that seems to be permanent now.... Pretty loud even with the baffle in. But that is OK.
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X