Tips on installing Pingel please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on installing Pingel please!

Got the Pingel 6211-CH single outlet & adapter coming for my 1980 GS1100E. Please let me know your experiences with installing it, as I'm a total noob.

1. Looks like I will need to enlarge the opening in the tank to fit Pingel in. Do I use Dremel tool or a file or other?

2. How do I clean out inside of the tank afterwards, just flush some fuel through it?

3. What to do with the vacuum hose, block it off at the top end or take it off & somehow block vacuum at the carbs?

Cheers and thank you!
    1980 GS1100E

I thought the purpose of the adapter was so that you didn't have to monkey with the tank opening?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Agreed, I put a Pingle on my 1000E and the unit fit right up into the tank without alterations. The adapter plate makes sure of that plus it places the bolts in the proper position.

You will really have to train yourself to turn the valve off at least 1/4 mile from your destination.

As for the vacuum line, yes just get rid of it and put a rubber cap on the carb that the vacuum line goes to. You could also go the cheap way and just force an oversized bolt into the vacuum line just above the carb.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        I thought the purpose of the adapter was so that you didn't have to monkey with the tank opening?
        I was hoping so. Though watching youtube videos wasn't reaffirming, seems many tanks need that opening enlarged. Cheers!
        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          Agreed, I put a Pingle on my 1000E and the unit fit right up into the tank without alterations. The adapter plate makes sure of that plus it places the bolts in the proper position.

You will really have to train yourself to turn the valve off at least 1/4 mile from your destination.

As for the vacuum line, yes just get rid of it and put a rubber cap on the carb that the vacuum line goes to. You could also go the cheap way and just force an oversized bolt into the vacuum line just above the carb.
          Thanks for the tips, Larry. 1/4 mile sounds reasonable enough, and I'm a habitual creature so that's fine
          1980 GS1100E

Comment

Have a Pingel petcock on a Honda for 15? years but it was a direct fit not requiring an adapter plate/nut.
            I would contact Pingel directly about your particular tank.
            With all their adapter options i am surprised that the tank would have to be altered.
            Welcome to Pingel Enterprise, Inc. home of the world's quickest and fastest motorcycle. Manufacturers of high performance motorcycle drag race parts and accessories including fuel valves, wheel chocks, air shifters, and wheelie bars.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Off topic maybe, but. It happens a lot, wondering why to go from a more modern vacuum (automatic), to a old school, manual (must remember) type? Nostalgia maybe? Also for orig. question, Dremel...yes. Flush with fuel...yes, Cap at carb...yes. Good luck.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I recall having to enlarge the hole in my Kat gas tank to fit the long screened portion in the middle thru.
                The adapter plate fit fine, but came with no gasket. Had to make one & use Three Bond 1211 to get it to seal.
                It weeped w/o the Three Bond.

Also the shut off lever was too long, touching the cam cover on a 1150 motor.

Suppose I could have turned lever inward, but then it'd be difficult to switch to reserve on the fly.

I've since blown up the 1229 motor that encouraged me to provide more fuel flow than maybe a stock one could deliver.

It's currently on a stock motor 1150 that I took from my wife's bike. Guess the petcock is near 20 years old.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Have a Pingel petcock on a Honda for 15? years but it was a direct fit not requiring an adapter plate/nut.
                  I would contact Pingel directly about your particular tank.
                  With all their adapter options i am surprised that the tank would have to be altered.
                  http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/...e-adapters.asp
                  Hi Steve, That's the fuel tap Pingel recommends for my bike, based on their fitment chart. I also got the adapter that goes with it. Guess no big deal with little extra work, as long as I finally get proper fuel flow. I miss riding
                  1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Off topic maybe, but. It happens a lot, wondering why to go from a more modern vacuum (automatic), to a old school, manual (must remember) type? Nostalgia maybe? Also for orig. question, Dremel...yes. Flush with fuel...yes, Cap at carb...yes. Good luck.
                    Quite on the topic actually, I find vacuum lines not quite trustworthy when it comes to fuel delivery. Great tech, but it has it's downsides like anything else. Dependability is one of them, and I find humid air in particular to be affecting the operations largely.
                    1980 GS1100E

Comment

I sure do get that.
                      Winter is for fixing and summer is for riding.
                      Good luck.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks radek22. Hadn't heard that before.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                          I recall having to enlarge the hole in my Kat gas tank to fit the long screened portion in the middle thru.
                          The adapter plate fit fine, but came with no gasket. Had to make one & use Three Bond 1211 to get it to seal.
                          It weeped w/o the Three Bond.

Also the shut off lever was too long, touching the cam cover on a 1150 motor.

Suppose I could have turned lever inward, but then it'd be difficult to switch to reserve on the fly.

I've since blown up the 1229 motor that encouraged me to provide more fuel flow than maybe a stock one could deliver.

It's currently on a stock motor 1150 that I took from my wife's bike. Guess the petcock is near 20 years old.
                          Thank for the tips, Carter. I had the engine overheating from lean mixture for a bit, hope this will sort it out. Cheers!
                          1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Thanks radek22. Hadn't heard that before.
                            It's a forty year old fuel tap, can't expect much of it
                            1980 GS1100E

Comment

I sure do get that.
                              Winter is for fixing and summer is for riding.
                              Good luck.
                              Cheers Steve! Rubber side down
                              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X