Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WELCOME! New member, just got first GS (1981 1100E) - pic inside

Hello folks!

I'm a new member, got a GS a few weeks back. I made a few posts here already and used other resources hosted here that have been pivotal in helping me get it running (needed a tank cleaning/flush and full carb teardown), and now that she's all back together and photo-worthy, and running like a top, I thought I'd officially introduce myself and share a photo.

As you can see, she is sort of a generic "cafe" style with round headlight, clubman bars, mono hump seat, etc. Overall in pretty good condition (for a 40 yr old bike), everything seems to work well, corrosion is minimal and cosmetic. A lot of the major system will need some degree of refurbishing (brakes, electrical, suspension, clean/paint/polish, etc) and I'm not crazy about how the 'custom' work to put the seat on was done. So it'll be a work in progress. But the paint is really nice looking (deep metalflake, doesn't photo well), and it rides well, and as my first "fast" big boy bike (mainly messed with dirtbikes/dual-sports previous) she REALLY moves!

Welcome. While I’m not a huge fan of the style, that’s still a good looking bike. Enjoy.
    I do like the low light image.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Welcome. While I’m not a huge fan of the style, that’s still a good looking bike. Enjoy.
      I do like the low light image.
      Yeah honestly I'm not crazy about the seat situation and the header wrap myself. I need to find some good pics of what the stock back end of the frame/fender area looked like stock to figure out what my best way to address it is. They cut some poriton of it off, I'd like to return the seat/rear fairing to something more stock/OE, or at least more of a period-crrect look for that bike. I'm nervous to pull the header wrap to see how bad the pipes are under there. Tempted to leave as-is until I get a new exhaust (which is in the plan at some point). The clubman bars I'm not nuts about either, though theyre not terrible, and I do kinda like the agressive stance/look if I'm honest. I'm thinking of a set of less agressive bars, or maybe clipons with a built in lift? something somewhere between what I have now and stock. I dunno. I got it for a song and a dance, was effectively gifted to me by a family friend. I like some of the cafe style bikes in general, even if im not crazy about it on this one, so I'm okay with it as it is, but don;t think it'll stay this way for long. For the price though, worth every penny

As you can probably tell, still havent figured out exactly what I'm going to do with it long term, for now I'm just gonna ride the hell out of it

Comment

Good plan on riding and enjoying. Pity that the the frame was cut. I have seen some bikes where the passenger seat was effectively removed and a stock tailpiece was used and simply slid forward and a custom single seat was made. It’s a cool look that mimics the stock lines of the bike.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          the passenger seat was effectively removed and a stock tailpiece was used and simply slid forward and a custom single seat was made. It’s a cool look that mimics the stock lines of the bike.
          Another similar trick I've seen is to use the rear portion of a spare/damaged gas tank from the same model to make into a tailpiece/seat. Neat/easy way to get lines that work well with the design

Comment

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by RocketScientist View Post
              Another similar trick I've seen is to use the rear portion of a spare/damaged gas tank from the same model to make into a tailpiece/seat. Neat/easy way to get lines that work well with the design
              A member here did that on his GT750. (Look up “ bad Buffalo... it’s worth a gander). Only issue may be finding a tank. Some of the old GS tanks are becoming tough to find.
              sigpic

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Might be easier just to find a new (used) frame.
                Did that with my 1100E when I found out the frame had been cut, adjusted, and rewelded.
                Went from an '82, to an '83.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I really like the 80-81 1100E. They are really good looking bikes. Yours would look fantastic with a proper tail section and seat.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

1100EX. My first love!
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X