Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Getting A Tad Toasty !

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    whisky on the rocks
    And change of a dollar for the jukebox?

94f is not bad unless humid and you have to work a heavy physical job.

But on a bike its always vicious and fatiguing.
    Id pick freezing to death over heat.
    Not for me. I've done the full range from minus 2F/minus 19C to 115F/46C , Heat is better .

Riding for an hour at 70mph at -19C behind a windshield and while wearing 3/4 helmet and a bubble face shield my cheeks froze on the outside so I could not open my mouth to speak. Had both hands turned blue white and knees so cold, it took more than a hour to warm them.

OTH...I have sweated inside leather and helmet at 115F/46C and hated to stop because the breeze at 80mph was great!
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

Quote Originally Posted by argonsagas View Post
    Not for me. I've done the full range from minus 2F/minus 19C to 115F/46C , Heat is better .

Riding for an hour at 70mph at -19C behind a windshield and while wearing 3/4 helmet and a bubble face shield my cheeks froze on the outside so I could not open my mouth to speak. Had both hands turned blue white and knees so cold, it took more than a hour to warm them.

OTH...I have sweated inside leather and helmet at 115F/46C and hated to stop because the breeze at 80mph was great!
    It would actually be hotter riding at 80mph

No signature

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    It would actually be hotter riding at 80mph
    To me, it felt a LOT better than standing still.

FYI

Bike Bandit has its own blog about that...although they are looking at it from the "cold side"

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/the-wind-chill-myth
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I'm headed to Osoyoos on Tuesday on my BMW...supposed to be 45 there that day. It will be like riding a barbecue through a furnace.
    That's warm, for sure. We're actually enjoying some nice weather here this week: At or under 100 all the way through.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Up to 117 down here in the valley
    Gustov lives up in the Coast Range
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Noy toasty here anymore.

So after a record 19 days in a row of unusually hot days we are now sitting at 64F. This week daytime highs looking at mid 70's and upper 50's at night. Hot up north and cooler in the south its just bass ackwards.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
    ...record 19 days in a row of unusually hot days...Hot up north and cooler in the south its just bass ackwards.
    So why was Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane) the only one who cared about global warming and climate change in the 1960's?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    So why was Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane) the only one who cared about global warming and climate change in the 1960's?
    Sorry, I'm not following. I personally didn't care about climate change until the 70's. Thet was mostly due to moving from Germany to New Mexico though...
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    You live in New York and never heard of Hazel Henderson?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Riding in the extreme heat acts like a convection oven. In the North East you guys have big high pressure dome parked over you that normally bakes the south this time of year. It supposed to be 83F today, and unseasonably cool the next 10 days here in Texas. Normally we see mid to upper 90"s this time of year. I am sure it will revert back soon, meanwhile all those getting baked make sure your AC filter is clean. Those of you hitting over 110, put a black pan or plate in the sun all day. Go out and crack an egg in it about 3 to 4 pm. Give it about 30 minutes, and check it...if it is cooked you will have quite the story about your suffering, LOL. If you have to ride get wet first, it really helps a bit then heII comes back when you dry. Look out for sunburn, it happens a lot faster in extreme heat. And drink a lot of water, I mean a lot. Eat something salty it helps to retain water. If you are outside in the heat and you quit sweating you are likely entering heatstroke get some more water in you.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle