FYI about cam end plugs 8V and 16V issues popping out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI about cam end plugs 8V and 16V issues popping out

OK so chasing leaks is my full time job, whether oil or fuel. Both bikes, 79 GS1000 and 79 GS1100E had old hardened rubber cam end plugs and they leak. OK I read and research a LOT and the info I went with was to use a light smear of good quality bond (I used Hondabond which has never failed me yet) under and above. Clean all areas, and very gently scuff the rubber as you would with an inner tube to degloss it. Let the Hondabond set up a minute and cinch it down. New gaskets seal the deal. But do they?

Start GS1000 up, and one plug comes out almost all the way and leaves a puddle on the floor. The other 3 are on the way out. Oh no, I had both bikes in surgery at the same time, hope that doesn't happen to the GS1100. Start it up and it catches and runs only for a second or two as it's been sitting a while etc. Take a look and all four are slightly dislodged. &^%*!!!

I put them back in with the ridge inside, I've read way too much on this damn topic but think that it was Chuck Hahn that said to do so. And of course there were others that said not to do this. Well I'm here to tell you it works and that's my bottom line on this disappointing and tedious subject
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

There has to be pressure pushing them out. First check is the vent arrangement on top of the cam cover - is it blocked ?

But yes, simply installing them with the lips inwards works.

Comment

I had the same thing I used blue hylomar I installed the end caps immediately after putting the hylomar on and they popped out, I coated the caps with the hylomar waited 10 minutes until it flashed off then installed them result.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

The vent on both got cleaned very well, mesh put back in place properly, new gasket and reassembled per diagrams and tested with air pressure etc. I'm sure it's not that. Ran the turbo today and no issues with them inward so at least it's fixed.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        There has to be pressure pushing them out. First check is the vent arrangement on top of the cam cover - is it blocked ?

But yes, simply installing them with the lips inwards works.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Your "fix" will work, but if you are not in a hurry, there is another method.

Go ahead with your smear of Hondabond, but put it on the curved surface ONLY. Put the plugs in place and put the cam cover on without a gasket (you only need to use the outer-most bolts to clamp it down). Let it sit overnight, then take the cover off, install gasket and cover. Has worked every time for me.

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
            OK so chasing leaks is my full time job, whether oil or fuel. Both bikes, 79 GS1000 and 79 GS1100E had old hardened rubber cam end plugs and they leak. OK I read and research a LOT and the info I went with was to use a light smear of good quality bond (I used Hondabond which has never failed me yet) under and above. Clean all areas, and very gently scuff the rubber as you would with an inner tube to degloss it. Let the Hondabond set up a minute and cinch it down. New gaskets seal the deal. But do they?

Start GS1000 up, and one plug comes out almost all the way and leaves a puddle on the floor. The other 3 are on the way out. Oh no, I had both bikes in surgery at the same time, hope that doesn't happen to the GS1100. Start it up and it catches and runs only for a second or two as it's been sitting a while etc. Take a look and all four are slightly dislodged. &^%*!!!

I put them back in with the ridge inside, I've read way too much on this damn topic but think that it was Chuck Hahn that said to do so. And of course there were others that said not to do this. Well I'm here to tell you it works and that's my bottom line on this disappointing and tedious subject
            After having to be retrieved from the side of the road because a cam plug popped out, I've always fitted them with the ridge inwards.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This is bullet proof on the moons.
              Its almost magic.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Of course I have that same bottle in my garage and didn't use it! All's good now though, a nice long ride today and the top end is sealed up. I guess a few of us have been there. Plugs now sealed, new O rings on the special forward cylinder stud nuts, checked the valves while in there (all good), and a new valve cover gasket. The thing was spewing oil mainly from the O-rings but also the other fixed areas.

Retorqued the head while I was in there. Bike is now oil tight up top, but I still get a little out of the ignition cover (crank seal) and the special turbo oil return line that feeds into the oil filler. Those are really minor but I will address them.
                Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-27-2021, 12:01 AM.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

The good news is the top end is now sealed up. Next up is the seal behind the (Dyna) ignition, ordered the part today. That will leave only one more leak at the turbo return feed to the oil filer cap, it has a big O ring and maybe it's just getting another one, but it'll have to be some generic size. I also sealed up the air leak at the rear tire with 'Xtra Seal' as just like the front. Even though the rim was clean, there was air leakage. I am 99.9% done, just need a proper air filter to replace the velocity stack which just has a screen. I ordered one that looks good but it's a tight squeeze on the Mikuni due to the side cover. We'll see. Oh and a battery that actually holds a charge more than a day.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Would be nice to have these for our Suzuki's ...

KZ Zone - Cam Cover Plugs

plugs.jpg
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                    X