Grips that stick finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grips that stick finally

I got a set of pretty soft rubber grips some time in the past, sort of a criss-cross pattern, cheap ones. I don't care, I'm a cheap SOB and they would work fine for me as long as I could get them to grip. Well, I tried hairspray. Nope. Got some grip glue. Nope. Hmm, electrical tape? Nope. OK time to give up, taking them off and son says - you have a bunch of heat shrink tubing, why not try that?

I confess that since I had grip glue that never worked, I doubled down and smeared a bit on the chrome bar and let it dry before putting on the Harbor Freight extra large Ron Jeremy approved heat shrink tubing. Heat gun applied, grips slide on and lock solid. i knew that kid was a genius (and I knew for a long time that I am not).
    Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-26-2021, 09:35 PM.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

I still use Grab Ons. Reminds me of the old days.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Oh man, I remember those, they deteriorated fast because I had to park my bike outside, they would harden up in a few months. As an old guy I sympathize.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      I still use Grab Ons. Reminds me of the old days.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I just installed a pair of OURY soft rubber Street grips with a large block pattern and used Renthal grip glue to make them stay-put.I like how these OURY grips help with vibration through the bars which used to affect me with my old,hard rubber OEM grips.

Comment

I get my grips from Randakks Cycle shack. They are grippy and, uh, grip the bar without fail (for me).
          1980 GS750L - just like the one I rode in college (25 years ago!)
          2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40
          1980 Honda Goldwing (Naked)
          2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Kelly O' (original profile vanished!)

Comment

Working...
          X