MF Replacement Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MF Replacement Battery

Would any one possibly know where to get a maintenance free battery for a 85 GS1150. My local bike shop doesn't show a replacement, nor do some of the part houses around.I believe because of the battery fluid level sensor, they don't show a MF repl. A part # and where to get one would be greatly appreciated. I believe that all I have to do to the sensor wire is to hook it to the + battery term. Correct me there if I'm wrong.Been a while. Thanks in advance for any info...
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Check that where you finally get it is an authorized dealer. I learned a $100 lesson on Amazon with a Yuasa AGM, it croaked after the 60 day return and no recourse. I'm going back to simple lead acid that you add the acid to, never a problem with those.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'd bet that if you where to google "replacement battery 1985 gs1150" you'd have more choices than you could shake a stick at, I did! The only piece of advice I'd give you when choosing one is to avoid Lithium batteries, the charging characteristics don't play well with the charging system unless you also change the regulator/rectifier.
      Last edited by LAB3; 06-27-2021, 06:20 AM.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Have a look here https://www.motobatt.us/parts-finder...el=GS1150E%2CS
        being sealed the level sensor is not needed
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Shopping Locally? It's common you won't find a catalogued *battery......Measure old battery, all sides. then (important) OBSERVE where terminals are placed or your existing cables won't be long enough.
          TAKE your tape measure!
          Pretty much any 12Volt AGM that fits will work. Go a little smaller rather than larger if there's any doubt.

*Catalogues have all these measures too.... Most batteries are made by very few manufacturers. IE: Yuasa by another name....

Comment

The Motobatt AGM I use has 4 places for the cables. If one direction doesn't work, just turn the battery around and voila!.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

That dang light just seemed silly anyway. You had a 1 in 6 chance the sensor was in the cell that was low of water. Haven't had a 1150 fro several years, but I'm thinking it was a YB-14LA2 (or equivalent). Our Wal-mart usually keeps them. I don't think you will find a sealed with a sensor.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It uses the same 14L-A2 size as a skrillion other GS models and many other motorcycles. If they give you any crap, tell them it's for a 1983 GS850G, or a 2004 Kawasaki KLR650.

As noted, the only difference is that you'll need to deal with the stupid sensor wire in some other way. I think you can pull the bulb, or hook the wire up differently.

Do NOT install an old-skool "wet" acid puker battery. FFS, it's 2021. Drop in an AGM. Live a little...

I am quite partial to the US-made Deka battery, sold under a zillion stupid brand names. Look for the distinctive light gray case and the weird chunky lead terminals.

For example, "Big Crank" brand ETX15L
                Check out the deal on USA-Made Big Crank™ ETX15L Battery at BatteryMart.com

Great battery, one of the dumbest imaginable brand names. Oh well. There's one in my KLR, but at least you can't see the sticker.

BatteryMart is a fantastic supplier. This battery also appears at auto parts store chains with different stickers (it appears to be sold at Autozone right now wearing a "Duralast" sticker); look for the distinctive features, and do not accept cheap Chinese AGM substitutes.

MotoBatt batteries are also fantastic, next-level batteries:
                Check out the deal on Motobatt MBTX14AU 12V 16.5Ah AGM Battery at BatteryMart.com

I've dealt with too many defective Yuasa batteries to trust that brand. YMMV; some people think they're great because they're expensive or something.
                Last edited by bwringer; 06-30-2021, 09:32 AM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

All good suggestions. I would add that the sensor should be connected to a switched power wire, rather than directly to the battery. Not sure how much power it might draw (if any), but no need to have it powered all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    All good suggestions. I would add that the sensor should be connected to a switched power wire, rather than directly to the battery. Not sure how much power it might draw (if any), but no need to have it powered all the time.
                    Good to know what to do with that sensor wire. I knew there was a way to deal with it, but couldn't remember exactly. It was a terrible idea in 1985, and it's an even worse idea in 2021.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I am quite partial to the US-made Deka battery, sold under a zillion stupid brand names. Look for the distinctive light gray case and the weird chunky lead terminals.

For example, "Big Crank" brand ETX15L
                      Check out the deal on USA-Made Big Crank™ ETX15L Battery at BatteryMart.com

Great battery, one of the dumbest imaginable brand names. Oh well. There's one in my KLR, but at least you can't see the sticker.

BatteryMart is a fantastic supplier. This battery also appears at auto parts store chains with different stickers (it appears to be sold at Autozone right now wearing a "Duralast" sticker); look for the distinctive features, and do not accept cheap Chinese AGM substitutes.

MotoBatt batteries are also fantastic, next-level batteries:
                      Check out the deal on Motobatt MBTX14AU 12V 16.5Ah AGM Battery at BatteryMart.com

I've dealt with too many defective Yuasa batteries to trust that brand. YMMV; some people think they're great because they're expensive or something.[/QUOTE]

I've also had great luck with 3 or 4 relabeled Deka AGM batteries sold as Big Crank by Batttery Mart. The price has gone up dramatically in the past couple of years, but what hasn't? The posts have mount holes top and side, so with some extra bolts you can use both.

I would add Exide to the avoid list if they still make bike batteries.
                      1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Likewise, I used to trust Yuasa, but the last two I've had have been no great shakes.
                        Used to be I'd get five or six years out of a Yuasa, but in recent times only got two years or so.
                        I've been using Motobatt in two bikes for the past four or so years, with no complaints so far.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Good to know what to do with that sensor wire. I knew there was a way to deal with it, but couldn't remember exactly. It was a terrible idea in 1985, and it's an even worse idea in 2021.
                          100% Thanks...Good thinking..
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Shopping Locally? It's common you won't find a catalogued *battery......Measure old battery, all sides. then (important) OBSERVE where terminals are placed or your existing cables won't be long enough.
                            TAKE your tape measure!
                            Pretty much any 12Volt AGM that fits will work. Go a little smaller rather than larger if there's any doubt.

*Catalogues have all these measures too.... Most batteries are made by very few manufacturers. IE: Yuasa by another name....
                            Thank You That seems to be the most logical..

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                              That dang light just seemed silly anyway. You had a 1 in 6 chance the sensor was in the cell that was low of water. Haven't had a 1150 fro several years, but I'm thinking it was a YB-14LA2 (or equivalent). Our Wal-mart usually keeps them. I don't think you will find a sealed with a sensor.
                              Yes the terminal locations are different..Reversed Hence the 'L" Not too worried about the sensor.. Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                              X