Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb bowl with a drain screw

Hi,

My GS1000G has a BS34SS carb, but doesn't have a carb drain screw which is annoying when it comes to draining the fuel for winter storage. I noticed that the BS34SS carbs from a Yamaha XS650 or Kawasaki KZ1100 have drain screws. Just want to know if anyone knows if it possible to fit these on my carbs?

Thanks a lot

Dave

No drain screw? Never heard of that.

I don't have any Yamaha or Kaw carbs for comparison, so can't say whether they will fit.

Comment

Seems odd. All of the BS carbs I've seen have drain screws. Are you in Hamburg, Germany or Hamburg, PA or some other Hamburg?
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
        No drain screw? Never heard of that.

I don't have any Yamaha or Kaw carbs for comparison, so can't say whether they will fit.
        It only has the hex bolt on the bottom, that must be messily and awkwardly unscrewed. But the other other bowls have a screw in the side and a hose through which the fuel will run out. This is useful for checking the fuel height in the bowls as well.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Seems odd. All of the BS carbs I've seen have drain screws. Are you in Hamburg, Germany or Hamburg, PA or some other Hamburg?
          Yes, I'm in Hamburg Germany.

I would like to have this type

rather than this type that I have

Cheers

Dave

Comment

So you do have drain screws, they drain straight out the bottom of the bowl. When I drain the bowls, I look for a something small like a tunafish can to catch fuel. Yes, it can be messy. For level checking, I've seen pictures and read someone's thread about sharpening the end of a clear plastic hose like a pencil and shoving it in the hole, should work well enough to gauge the fuel level. I can definitely see how the side mounted drain would make draining fuel and level checking easier/cleaner.

If you get one of the other type of bowls to try, let us know how it works out.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

screw on side type

my bolt on bottom type
              bowl#.jpg
              it looks like they should be interchangeable

Comment

Some good ideas there. The carb bowls tend to sell for 40 euros each. 120 euros is quite a bit to spend. I'll have to have a think about it.

Comment

Just thinking out-loud: The side-screw drain type would work well if the left 2 bowls drain to the left, and the right 2 bowls drain to the right. If all 4 were facing the same way, I'm not sure that it would be easier, or even possible to get to the far 2 drain screws from whichever side the opening faces.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yeah, if the carbs are from a XS650 then this could be a problem. It seems the KZ1100 carbs would be OK. In fact I might be tempted to do a straight swap, since I like the fact the choke knob is on the carb itself.

Comment

Just be sure that the spacing of the carbs on the KZ1100 is the same as the spacing on your GS1000G.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

They are supposed to be the same. If I can get a set for 100 euros or so, it'll work out cheaper than the individual carb bowls.

Comment

How about drilling and tapping the bowls you already have and putting in your own drains? Seems to me that would be the most economical option.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I've been thinking about cutting a little slot in the threads on the drain plugs on my GS1000Gs. so that they will drain more easily without complete removal of the drain plugs.

Can't say I don't like the float chamber drains shown in the post.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              I've been thinking about cutting a little slot in the threads on the drain plugs on my GS1000Gs. so that they will drain more easily without complete removal of the drain plugs.

Can't say I don't like the float chamber drains shown in the post.
                              I was also thinking about fitting a hose connector with a plug on the end to block it. But this is probably too drastic to have on the bike permanently. It might be useful though for measuring fuel height when dismantled. Any idea what the plug thread is?

Comment

Working...
                              X