1980 gs550e pod filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs550e pod filters

Hi, I have a pod filter question… I’m trying to get my 1980 gs550e running and the stock airbox rubber is shrunk and can’t refit. I’ve tried many times. I’m going to go with pod filters and re-jet. Where is a good place to get pod filters and a jet kit for bs32 cv carbs? Any thoughts. Much appreciated.

Why not just buy new rubber? They are still available and you won’t need to deal with the headaches associated with tuning for the pods
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

CV carbs can be difficult to adjust to pods. Not impossible, but fiddly. Also, some pods foul the frame on the 550s, so you need to be careful which set you buy. Personally I would buy new airbox rubbers. If you want to go down the pods route, google 6sigma and dynojet.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Ok, thanks I’ll try and source out new rubber, it would be nice to not have to mess around with jetting etc. Is there a good place to look into the rubber? Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Any Suzuki dealership can get parts for you. Parts Outlaw in Florida is less expensive on parts but will take about two weeks to get it to you. Before you think that’s long, remember no one keeps stocks locally and must go to the warehouse for it. That takes the same time for everyone, including your local dealer, which is a few days to a week or two. Then, any of them who are out of town must mail it which can take another week.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            CV carbs can be difficult to adjust to pods. Not impossible, but fiddly. Also, some pods foul the frame on the 550s, so you need to be careful which set you buy. Personally I would buy new airbox rubbers. If you want to go down the pods route, google 6sigma and dynojet.
            I put back on the rubbers and they seemed to go on for the most part but still won’t idle. I could try to totally make them seal with tape or something to make sure. Hmmm.

Comment

FWIW, I'm running UNIs on my 550 (PK-82 is the model number, I think), and it wasn't a huge pain to tune for. It needed rejetting for sure. I re-re-jetted relatively recently after putting a 650 top end on it, but I can dig around and find the jets I pulled out if you want to know what size they were when it was stock.

The pods are three inches long, and the space for the two on the sides is closer to two and half inches, so those two butt up against the frame. They have urethane end caps, so they haven't fouled the frame, but they do crunch a little bit and need to be replaced more frequently than they would otherwise. If anyone knows a comparable filter that fits better, I'd love to know about it. Every time I buy new ones I think about doing surgery on old ones to make them shorter and tossing new UNI foam on there, but the process of glueing the foam into a circle seems pretty tentative to me, and I don't know how much shortening them a half an inch will change the airflow.

All that said, if you can run the airbox I think that's smarter.
              1978 GS750E, 1981 GS550T (550/673), 1979 Puch Maxi

Comment

Originally posted by Trolleywire View Post
                I put back on the rubbers and they seemed to go on for the most part but still won’t idle. I could try to totally make them seal with tape or something to make sure. Hmmm.
                Have you tried spraying them with carb cleaner or something while the engine is running to see if there are air leaks?

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was told my compression might be low affecting idle? Or tight valves? Would that prevent the bike from idling? I hope it’s not bad compression, yikes. I’ll have to check it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhickcox View Post
                    Have you tried spraying them with carb cleaner or something while the engine is running to see if there are air leaks?
                    I did around the intake boots and seemed ok.

Comment

Definitely check your valve clearances. It's pretty easy to do, and can save you from damage. If they're running tight (they should tighten up with use) they'll restrict airflow, yeah. Compression is a pretty easy check, too.

Comment

I checked my compression and it’s reading about 120 psi on all four… check valves? Would that be the culprit? Thx.

Comment

All four the same is great, and 120 is dandy.
                          What do you mean by check valves? You may know I thing I don't (there's a lot I don't), but I've only ever checked compression by screwing the tool into the spark plug hole.

Comment

Download a factory service manual from BikeCliffs Website and look up the valve clearance checking procedure. Your gonna need feeler gauges and most likely a new valve cover gasket. There is a procedure also outlined on BikeCliffs Website, IIRC, for using zip ties to hold the valves open while you check clearance. Be prepared to have the bike inoperable for a while as you’ll likely have to source some shims.

It would be a good idea to email member Steve to have him send you his excel spreadsheet for easy calculations of existing clearance/shims to what shims you may need.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by jimhickcox View Post
                              All four the same is great, and 120 is dandy.
                              What do you mean by check valves? You may know I thing I don't (there's a lot I don't), but I've only ever checked compression by screwing the tool into the spark plug hole.
                              What I meant was actually “check the valves… to see if that was the culprit for the low compression readings, as you mentioned though.. 120 psi is OK?

Comment

Working...
                              X