Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Yes, yank the rack.
    Thxs again Ed, but you have to be more insistent with hard heads like me ! Remember, this was dripping a lot of gas. At least an oz a minute...or more.

Tank is off. I put the bowls back on. Used a blow gun to get every thing dry. Put a funnel on the new fuel supply hose and dumped in a beer can full of gas. It almost took the whole can (12oz) and now after an hour the funnel is empty. No drips.........I got a bright LED light on the T and its dry as a bone.

Its on the ctr stand and the oil level has not moved so I don't believe gas is leaking into the crankcase.

Any guesses on whats gonna happen when I put the tank back on ???? There is 3-4 gals in it and Im wondering if that head pressure will cause it to leak again.......
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If the tiny extra head pressure of the tank causes the fuel valves to leak, they need attention.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        If the tiny extra head pressure of the tank causes the fuel valves to leak, they need attention.
        Agree. Real deal Mikuni brand float valves can be had from Dennis Kirk for about $15 each if it comes to that. Money well spent if the fuel level is too high and can't be lowered through conventional means like adjusting float height.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Got company over and I gotta burn some burgers and drink some beers. Stay tuned......
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Nitrile rubber is good for fuel system parts because they swell slightly and afford a nice tight seal. Viton is for heat.
            Got it, thanks
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Good news / Bad news

The tank is back on. No leaks. So this was not much of a learning experience. Cant explain why pulling the bowls would have gone from "serious leak" to "back to normal".

Oh well, thanks again guys for the conversation.......
              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Good news / Bad news

The tank is back on. No leaks. So this was not much of a learning experience. Cant explain why pulling the bowls would have gone from "serious leak" to "back to normal".

I hate when that happens! Sure, you got it fixed but aren't sure what you did to fix it. Remember, when it doubt, ALIENS!
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  And thank you for the set of gauges you sent me (on your own dime) for big Suzi about seven years ago. I'm working to bring her home now.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So..... 20 days ago it was not dripping a drop. Really have not started it since. Today, Dripping again like a leaky rain gutter ! Yes, The petcock is working. only drips on PRI. Im gonna rule out the T cause the drips appear to start above it and the new hose. Looks like its somewhere above the bowls or even the intake tubes. You can kinda see in the vid its even on the front rail (angle?) Frustrating !! I rode it for about 10 minutes but it didnt slow down.....

82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Fuel Tee and/or fuel transfer tube O-rings would be my guess. The O-rings on those parts come into contact with outside air and petrify after 30 years. They swell when gas comes in contact with them which is why they stopped leaking before but started again 30 days later.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The O-rings on those parts come into contact with outside air and petrify after 30 years.
                        I guess I got an extra 9 years outta them . Wanna re-build them ?
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Fuel Tee and/or fuel transfer tube O-rings would be my guess. The O-rings on those parts come into contact with outside air and petrify after 30 years. They swell when gas comes in contact with them which is why they stopped leaking before but started again 30 days later.
                          I had the tank off anyway so I ran about 6oz of straight seafom into the carbs then shut it off overnight. Tonight after work I went for a ride to burn the seafoam out and when I got back (15min) ..........no leaks.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

That video looks just like the carbs leaking on my CB1100F after sitting for the winter or a few weeks. but so far, after 20 min. or so they stop until it sits long enough for the "O" rings to dry out again. As long as it gets started every few wks. no leak, guessing keeping the "O" rings wet is a solution, not really the fix. Couldn't promise that is the problem as I haven't fixed it, but just haven't come up with any other ideas.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                            X