Thread: Should I be using a resistor plug?

Default Should I be using a resistor plug?

Should I be using a ngk or ngkR plug? Does it matter for my bike which one I use?

When should i use a resistor plug?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

As a disco pendant? Sex toy? Hood ornament? Book mark?
    What bike?
    Mine does not use me but has resistor plug caps.
    In a pinch I've run resistor plugs with no apparent impact.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Ian, you've replaced Coils, HT leads, and spark plug caps, correct? It's my understanding that you need resistors in either in the The leads, the caps, or the plugs, but only in one of the 3, no more. So, unless you have resistor in the leads or caps, get the R (resistor) plugs. If you already have resistors in the leads or the caps, then get the non-R plugs. Redman knows all about this stuff and has written a bunch on it. I probably should have paid attention more. He'll correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well could be. Have you tried searching for thread using Advanced. put resistor plugs in the keywords and change the search criteria to Titles Only? I have, you'll get 54 threads to research.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Ian, you've replaced Coils, HT leads, and spark plug caps, correct? It's my understanding that you need resistors in either in the The leads, the caps, or the plugs, but only in one of the 3, no more. So, unless you have resistor in the leads or caps, get the R (resistor) plugs. If you already have resistors in the leads or the caps, then get the non-R plugs. Redman knows all about this stuff and has written a bunch on it. I probably should have paid attention more. He'll correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well could be. Have you tried searching for thread using Advanced. put resistor plugs in the keywords and change the search criteria to Titles Only? I have, you'll get 54 threads to research.
    Yeah I've replaced all of that I was just curious if I should run q certain one or if it doesnt matter
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

+1 on what Rich82GS750TZ said.

You assembled your ignition so you would know if you used resistive leads or plug caps. When you don't know if you have either, if the secondary resistance is in the 10's of Kilo-ohms then you don't use a resistor spark plug.

Okay so no resistor plugs the plug caps are already resistor caps
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

Went through this on the 450 after replacing the resistor caps, non-resistor plugs are no longer being produced and are difficult to find but ARE out there, check eBay. I was lucky enough to find some at an out-of-the-way store in the middle of no-where covered in dust.

NGK B8ES seem to be readily available in the uk at the moment don't know how long that will last.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Ian, i have already told you your bike has NGK resistor plug caps. You don't need resistor plugs.
    Last edited by earlfor; 07-02-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.