Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What general/preventative maintenance or checks should I do on a new purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What general/preventative maintenance or checks should I do on a new purchase?

So I've spent many years wrenching on old 4 wheeled stuff, but my new bike (81 GS1100E) is the oldest motorcycle I've owned. Wondering what sort of maintenance items I should check on or pre-emptively tackle, things that are probably worth doing on a 40 yr old bike? So far I've done basics to get it roadworthy (rebuilt carbs, cleaned tank, fixed wiring for stator and R/R, fixed wiring for headlight/controls, checked/adjusted drive chain, changed oil/filter).

Next items on my to-do list, just waiting on parts:
    • Check/adjust valve lash
    • vacuum synch carbs
    • Brake pads (also going to make up some stainless lines while I'm tackling the brakes)

After that, going to give things a good deep clean to pretty her up, and help locate any fluid leaks. Beyond that I'm not sure what other things should be looked at or preventatively done? I have a few thoughts, but no idea if these need doing, or if I'm missing some obvious ones? any suggestions appreciated

Potential to-do list items
    • Drain/replace fork fluid? adjust fork air pressure? other fork refresh tasks (are there seals or other wear items that should be repalced?
    • Rebuild/replace rear shocks? It look like the ones on there are a set of Progressive Suspension brand, but they are certainly old and looking a little rough. Not sure if these are rebuildable, and if its worth it?
    • new wheel bearings?
    • New cables

So yeah, if theres anything above that shouldnt be, or there are things I'm missing that I should relay take a look at let me know. Appreciate the help!

Do everything, if you plan to keep the bike. Download the factory manual for your bike and check the maintenance table.

The newbie mistakes thread in my signature may help guide you as well...
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Disassemble, flush the brake calipers and master cylinders before you add the new brake lines
      Lube all of the cables
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'd do everything you've already listed with the exception of the rear shocks, you might want to give them a try awhile and see if you can live with them the way they are. Personally I covered 25k miles on an '82 that I resurrected and never touched them, my '83 has now gone about 12k. As to anything else, how will you be using the bike? Ocasasional jaunts not too far from home? In that case go for it! On the other hand if you want to do the great American road trip you'll want to replace every little piece of rubber on it.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Something that will help. Living in FL the biggest issue I've faced is leading edge corrosion and rust anywhere is next with alloy right in there. l use a product known as ACF50. It's a purple fairly thick anticorrosion liquid used on military aircraft ( Navy ). This stuff works, it doesn't spray well so I use a 1/2 " paint brush. Just apply where needed even the engine and exhaust , doesn't burn off. It works. That '81 black or blue ? Always did like them.
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys, very helpful info. As far as useage goes, for now I'm sticking to around town as I get used to the bike (handles a lot different and a lot more power than the thumper enduros/dirtbikes im used to!) and get some confidence in its mechanical abilities. I do like longer rides and despite how she looks I can actually manage several hours in the saddle without much discomfort, so I am not ruling out longer road trips at some point. I don't think I'll be doing anything too impressive on that front until i get the forks and wheel bearings and such a little better sorted, just for peace of mind (it actually stops and rides really well). Heres a pic I snapped the other day. I've since given her a good scrubbing and polishing, so she looks even more sparkly now:

Comment

Looks like a clean ride. Good luck with "longer rides" using that plank of a saddle though. Anyway, good luck with your new bike.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Looks like a clean ride. Good luck with "longer rides" using that plank of a saddle though. Anyway, good luck with your new bike.
                Like i said:
                Originally posted by RocketScientist View Post
                ... despite how she looks I can actually manage several hours in the saddle without much discomfort ...
                I haven't gone very far from home yet, but just yesterday I was on the bike for about 3 hours straight, covered somewhere north of 100-120 miles. The seat is actually surprisingly comfy. The foam is very nice multilayer/density and seems to be some sort of "memory" type foam. And I was worried the straight edges on the sides might end up putting pressure on my legs, but I've really had no issues. I'm still not crazy about the seat from an aesthetics/style point of view, and the "custom" work done installing it is not super impressive. So it will change at some point. But I don't think it looks bad per se, and I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort level. The big issue after a long day like yesterday is the clubman style bars. I like the look and the body position isnt too bad, but this particular set is just a touch too agressive, and the angle isnt great for my wrists. No terrible, but I think if I do longer days on it regularly I'd replace them. Maybe a slightly-less-agressive set of clubmans, or clip-ons with some rise and setback? Maybe even a set of 'superbike' bars? Just something a touch further back and a touch higher than the ones on there.

But yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised at how comfortable this bike is even on long rides. But then again maybe my reference point is skewed. Most of my moto experience up to now has been on dirtbikes/enduros/dualsports, and i've done some pretty long hauls and roadtrips on some of them. Spending 5 hours straddling a sawhorse while using a jackhammer would make anything seem comfy in comparison

Comment

If your looking for more comfort and like what you have now, change the fork oil, others may chime in on a specific weight for best results. A set of Race Tech fork springs and a fork oil change will feel wonderful. If your looking at shocks buy good decent (yes, slightly expensive) shocks. Progressive is old tech and imo not much better than oem. Do your research, get them 1'' longer and cornering will be greatly improved. The next time you change tires adjust your steering head bearings. Check for "notches". With the front end supported off the ground, after adjustment slowly move bars back and forth. It should move slowly,smooth and with no dimple/notch right in the middle. With ball and race type steering head bearings, the bearings will eventually get dent right in them from riding in a straight line for 99.9% of the time. I adjust the steering head bearings on my bikes when changing tires, and between new tires and the adjustment, it feels like a new bike again
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Disassemble, flush the brake calipers and master cylinders before you add the new brake lines
                    Lube all of the cables
                    I'd definitely spend some time on the brakes as BigT said. If the bike's been sitting for a few years, I'd spend the money for new piston seals and dust boots.
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Flush out the gremlins from the electrics and hoover the bugs from the fuel system and brakes and you're all good for trip around the block. If you survive that, get to work on some proper maintenance.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X