No announcement yet.

Suzuki GR (almost GS) 2 cyl Tempter is charging low .. and coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not suggesting at all that you wire yours like mine. But mine works, wiring the RR- directly to batt - will also work. From your description, I gathered that you are collecting grounds at more than one place, hence not a SINGLE Point Ground. Maybe I misunderstood this statement and photo:

The green wire goes straight to the neg side battery. The black ground wire goes to the grounding point to the new sh775 with 3 ring connectors.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      I’m not suggesting at all that you wire yours like mine. But mine works, wiring the RR- directly to batt - will also work. From your description, I gathered that you are collecting grounds at more than one place, hence not a SINGLE Point Ground. Maybe I misunderstood this statement and photo:

The green wire goes straight to the neg side battery. The black ground wire goes to the grounding point to the new sh775 with 3 ring connectors.

Okay, I have redirected the large ground cable from the 3 ring connectors ..... straight to the neg battery terminal and stacked it on top of the engine/frame ground. Definitely more direct to the battery that way and probably lowers the volt drop between connections. I'm about to put the fuel tank back on and see what happens. An update later.
      Dennco2
      1985 GS450
      Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

The update with my Suzuki GR650 Tempter twin cyl. .... with like new Shindengen SH775 reg/rec just installed today.

Not sure how valid my volt numbers are because I have not got my tach working as yet ... and the multi-meter battery just crapped out.

Before it did I got:

Key off: 12.62 Bike and battery has been sitting for weeks
        Key on: 12.12
        Idle: 14.19
        2,000 to 4,000 rpms had to be approximated ... but the volts never got over 14.30
        Key off: 13.17

This is the 1st time I have seen 14+ volts showing on the meter! I'll test it again later with a new battery in the meter. I am surprised the volts shot up to 14 at idle!

With the tank off I checked the air/fuel mixture screws. One was out 2.5 turns and the other was out about 5 turns from bottoming out. I adjust both to 2.5 turns out and had to run full choke till the engine slowly warmed up. I might have to reach in and raise the idle adjustments now ... too low idle speed. More to do, but I'm looking forward to longer rides without worrying about running the battery down!!
        Dennco2
        1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

That looks like a good result dennco2.

Comment

Very happy with the Shindenden R/R. Excellent upgrade part for a 38 year old Suzuki and it saved the day for me. Thanks to all who really did help me get to this point on the restoration. More to do but I just took a 30 minute ride and the battery shows 12.95 volts 10 minutes after I got home. Now I have to improve the idle and get the tach working.
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Isn’t it like you’ve successfully performed a difficult magic act when you finally see the VM read over 14 volts?! Well done dennco2.!

Now, what do you know, if anything, about the valve clearances on this bike. Did you do them, or know for a fact that they are in spec? If not, I’d suggest that as a next step before messing with carbs.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-18-2021, 07:31 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Isn’t it like you’ve successfully performed a difficult magic act when you finally see the VM read over 14 volts?! Well done dennco2.!

Now, what do you know, if anything, about the valve clearances on this bike. Did you do them, or know for a fact that they are in spec? If not, I’d suggest that as a next step before messing with carbs.
                I have shims left over from adjusting the valves 2 years ago on my GS450. I had to go thru a 100% learning curve with the shims, and best methods. I have forgotten a lot. The Tempter backfires a bit sometimes. Yes I am sure that needs attention ... asap. I will have to find that info in this forum and go thru it again.
                Dennco2
                1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The 4 valves are now adjusted within specs. One exhaust had near zero clearance and was hurting performance. Hopefully the valve is still good ... and I think it is because the power and acceleration is pretty invigorating now. I got back from a spirited run and checked the battery voltage .... 12.95. More heat coming off the engine and pipes than ever before .. hope it not running too lean.
                  Dennco2
                  1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
                    The 4 valves are now adjusted within specs. One exhaust had near zero clearance and was hurting performance. Hopefully the valve is still good ... and I think it is because the power and acceleration is pretty invigorating now. I got back from a spirited run and checked the battery voltage .... 12.95. More heat coming off the engine and pipes than ever before .. hope it not running too lean.

That should give you more smooth running dennco,even when it gets stuck in traffic and heats-up.How does your spark plug color look,possibly running a little lean?

Comment

Working...
                    X