Suzuki GR (almost GS) 2 cyl Tempter is charging low .. and coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GR (almost GS) 2 cyl Tempter is charging low .. and coil question

I am trying to clean up my 38 year old twin cylinder Tempter 650. It has serious charging issues and I have started to address the problem by pulling parts off to inspect and clean anything and everything having to do with the electrical. Stuck bolts is a major problem but after removal I wire brush them on the bench grinder wire wheel. All mount plates and grounding points have been cleaned. I pulled the coils one at a time to clean all contact points. All is good till this evening in my progress .... I am not 100% positive the 2 small coil wires on both coils (with spade connectors( are connected correctly as they were. Hate to think if I accidentally reversed these wire to the coils .... something bad will happen. Any sage advice from someone here!??

In the next few days I want to complete the job of pulling all bullet and spade connectors apart ... to clean them up and reattach. If that doesn't solve my charging problem, I will know it comes down to the Stator and/or the R&R. I did the recommended battery check and maybe getting a half volt of charging currently at 3,000 rpm. My fully charged battery shows 13.2 volt and drops about 1/2 to 3/4 volt with key on.
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

13.2v after shutting the bike off is a well charged battery, and 0.5v higher than that (13.7v) at 3k rpm isn't a bad deal. I'm not seeing a "low charging" complaint here.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
      13.2v after shutting the bike off is a well charged battery, and 0.5v higher than that (13.7v) at 3k rpm isn't a bad deal. I'm not seeing a "low charging" complaint here.
      I should have stated my battery was charged up by my Schumacher battery charger/maintainer. That got my battery to 13.2 but after a 10 minute ride .... the system voltage goes down to 11.9 or so. The bike charging system is doing almost nothing currently ... but I am working on improvements. I am trying to buy a Suzuki manual for this bike so I can look up technical info.

Still wondering about the 2 small leads to the 2 coils. Left side coil leads are colored orange/white on the outside of coil ... and solid white wire on the inside spade connection closest to the frame tubing. On the right side coil, I currently have the Black/Yellow wire to the outside spade ..... and the orange/white wire to the inside spade connector closest to the frame tubing.
      Dennco2
      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

dennco,Have a good look at your regulator/rectifier plug which plugs into the harness.I would also suggest testing your OEM(?) original(?) regulator/rectifier as it may have got burned-out.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
          dennco,Have a good look at your regulator/rectifier plug which plugs into the harness.I would also suggest testing your OEM(?) original(?) regulator/rectifier as it may have got burned-out.
          I bought a used Polaris SH775 R&R but I see no room to install. It seems twice as big. After I finish cleaning the bullet connectors in the headlight bucket and some on the rear fender, I'll get to the old R&R. Previously I had pulled that part off the bike to check and clean the mounting plate. This bike has suffered from poor maintenance. This evening, I mounted the fuel tank and it actually started when I pressed the starter button! No charging numbers yet, but I did put the battery on a trickle charger so it will be full by morning.

I have ridden lots of bikes over the years, but this on is the smoothest softest riding bike I have ever rode. This 1983 Suzuki model was the first production motorcycle to have a monoshock adjustable rear suspension. I barely feel anything in the seat when I accidentally hit a pot hole or ride on rough pavement. That is why I really want to get this running well .... and charging the battery! More progress tomorrow.
          Dennco2
          1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

I found 8 bullet wiring harness connections inside the headlight bucket ... in addition to the multi-pin connectors. One bullet connector pinned a green coded wire to a black coded wire. Does that sound correct? I looked for other mating wires inside and found nothing.

Still cleaning old connectors trying to lower ohm resistance in the harness and find out why my R&R is not charging the battery.
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
              I bought a used Polaris SH775 R&R but I see no room to install. It seems twice as big.
              Keep in mind that it doesn't nessessarily need to mount where the old one did. On my 450 I mounted my SH775 to the plate where the toolbox used to be under the right cover, you'll need to extend the wires but there's no reason it won't work, plus you might be able to directly ground it to the battery.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I found 8 bullet wiring harness connections inside the headlight bucket ... in addition to the multi-pin connectors. One bullet connector pinned a green coded wire to a black coded wire. Does that sound correct? I looked for other mating wires inside and found nothing.

Still cleaning old connectors trying to lower ohm resistance in the harness and find out why my R&R is not charging the battery.
                I don’t have a wiring diagram in front of me but the green to black wire sounds like a right turn signal connection if it is similar to the GS
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  Keep in mind that it doesn't nessessarily need to mount where the old one did. On my 450 I mounted my SH775 to the plate where the toolbox used to be under the right cover, you'll need to extend the wires but there's no reason it won't work, plus you might be able to directly ground it to the battery.

That's excellent advice.I had the same GS450TXZ as you and I mounted the SH775 onto the top of the rear fender(I used a small hammer to lightly bend the top of the rear fender down enough to clear where the seat sits over it,also for cooling) just under where the rear of the seat bolts to the frame and it was protected plus had plenty of air cooling.
                  Last edited by grcamna2; 07-11-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                    That's excellent advice.I had the same GS450TXZ as you and I mounted the SH775 onto the top of the rear fender just under where the rear of the seat bolts to the frame and it was protected plus had plenty of air cooling.
                    I tried to locate the larger SH775 R&R under the seat ... to the top of the fender, but not enuf clearance there under the seat. My next idea was in the plastic tool holder shown in the attached picture ... which clears the bottom of seat when the seat clicks in riding position. The R&R would be right behind the battery. How to secure it in that spot? Gravity only? There is already a thin rubber flap behind it ..... that could be used to cover over it and hold it down in the plastic box.

Originally, I thought the R&R needed to be mounted to metal ... so as to have a ground to the frame? I am guessing I will have to run new added wire to the R&R 5 leads and other mods to make it work at that location.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dennco2; 07-11-2021, 05:17 PM.
                    Dennco2
                    1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

I tried to locate the larger SH775 R&R under the seat ... to the top of the fender, but not enuf clearance there under the seat. My next idea was in the plastic tool holder shown in the attached picture ... which clears the bottom of seat when the seat clicks in riding position. The R&R would be right behind the battery. How to secure it in that spot? Gravity only? There is already a thin rubber flap behind it ..... that could be used to cover over it and hold it down in the plastic box.

Originally, I thought the R&R needed to be mounted to metal ... so as to have a ground to the frame? I am guessing I will have to run new added wire to the R&R 5 leads and other mods to make it work at that location.

Would it fit somewhere underneath the battery where air could get to it ?

Comment

You don’t want to put it inside the plastic tool box where it will get no cooling air. I’d remove that tool box and mount the SH 775 in its place. Secure it however you can through its two holes. The black wire on the right side of the RR (the other is red or brown (triumph connector)). The three left connectors all go to the Stator.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          You don’t want to put it inside the plastic tool box where it will get no cooling air. I’d remove that tool box and mount the SH 775 in its place. Secure it however you can through its two holes. The black wire on the right side of the RR (the other is red or brown (triumph connector)). The three left connectors all go to the Stator.
                          Good advice there. I pulled the plastic box out and set the reg sideways in the narrowing gap between the battery box and the rear fender. I think the easiest way to secure it is with the tie wrap shown in picture ... unless there is a good reason not to. Not sure if it is best to route the connector pins to the right or left side of bike ... but straight up wont clear. I am thinking left side due to the stator wires are on that side anyway.

I don't remember where the ground wire on the old R&R went to ... but it seems like it was headed to the fuse block? Best to go directly to the battery ground .... or to both?
                          Attached Files
                          Dennco2
                          1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Point the connectors from the sH775 toward the left/stator side of the bike to make it easier on yourself. Ground from RR COULD go directly to bat-, some folks do that. I prefer all of my grounds come to one point, the starter solenoid mounting screw (SPG-single point ground), then one wire from the SPG to bat-. tomāto-tomăto.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

dennco2,
                              Just wondering if that green battery ground cable is heavy enough to handle the starting load.
                              I don’t know, just asking?
                              What gauge is it?
                              Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                              1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                              1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Working...
                              X