No announcement yet.

Suzuki GR (almost GS) 2 cyl Tempter is charging low .. and coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some progress today on wiring the SH775. I found the 3 wire bundle heading up to the frame tube right under the fuel tank and pulled the 3 bullet connectors apart. Then I rerouted the 3 wire bundle to head towards the battery area and cut off the 3 old connectors. I bared the ends of 3 new multistrand wires and crimped new doublecrimp connectors on one end .... and female spade connectors on the other. Lowes provided the parts which fit very snug. My crimping skills were put to the test but survived a mild pull apart effort.

Not done yet and I have to now tackle the 2 power wires and figure out how best to do that on my bike ... using the expert advice shared on this forum. I have some pics to show what I did today.shin3.jpg
    Last edited by dennco2; 07-14-2021, 10:08 PM.
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

routing of stator wires to sh775shin2.jpg
      Dennco2
      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The white/blue, white/green, and yellow wires should be the three stator legs, but I’d follow them back to the stator to be sure. They should be coming out of the engine case somewhere near the starter motor, probably. The bullets look very healthy with no signs of corrosion/heat melting the insulation. That is a promising sign that hopefully your stator is in good shape. But the best way I know to test the stator health is to measure AC voltage leg to leg at 5k RPM, and leg to ground test at 5k RPM. These tests show if the stator is bad, but not necessarily if it is good. I don’t think it’s necessary to remove the stator cover at this point, just be sure that those 3 wires do in fact go to the stator. Then connect them to the 3-pin left side connector of the SH 775.

edit.
        well, looks like you got there. But I only see 2 of the 3 wires connected to the RR, maybe just the angle of the photo is hiding the 3rd?
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-14-2021, 10:35 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

All 3 stator female plugs are cut and will fit into the R/R. One lead fell out because I currently have them just tacked in place. I tried fully installing one plug before the wires were attached .... and it takes a pair of pliers to remove it. I carefully determined those 3 wires were from the stator ... and finally ended in bullet connectors under the fuel tank. I cut some existing tie wraps to the frame tubing and rerouted those old stator wires for the most direct path to the battery box area. About 8" of new additional wires ... was all that was needed stator to RR.

By removing the old R/R, I see some openings in the mounting plate to route the red and black wires straight to the laid over SH775. I don't like the battery + terminal lug .... or the extra long routing around the mounting plate to the battery. Also I need some ground strap for the R/R ground wire.

shin6.jpg
          Last edited by dennco2; 07-17-2021, 02:12 PM.
          Dennco2
          1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

By removing the old stator…”. I think you meant RR.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              “By removing the old stator…”. I think you meant RR.
              Yes, I meant the old R/R.

So now my plan is to plug a new wire extension coming from the SH775 Ground and solder a ring connector to the other end and bolt to the old mounting plate .... using one of the attach screws to the OLD R/R. Also solder a ring connector to the end of the (cut off) harness ground wire ... so no crimping needed and add that to the screw mount. The bike has an old heavy duty ground wire bolted to the engine case which is currently NOT being used. I want to extend that wire to reach under the battery box and bolt up to the same R/R grounding screw on the mounting plate and cinch it all down. That SHOULD take care of proper grounding of the R/R, right?

BTW, the unused old ground wire/cable has a ring connector bolted to the engine transmission ... just a few inches from the green cable grounding bolt. Leave as is .... or is it better to bolt both grounds together to make a SPG?

For the + power lead coming out of the SH75, I will add the short extension wire to meet the cut off old red wire ... either by crimping or soldering the 2 together. That should wire it back up to the original harness power routing thru the factory fuse box and positive terminal on the battery ............ right??? I sure hope so.
              Last edited by dennco2; 07-15-2021, 01:49 PM.
              Dennco2
              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The stock Suzuki r/r case is mounted to a steel plate. Does that mean I should also have some kind of grounding wire to the SH775 case ... that is currently just tie wrapped to the back side of the battery box? I think I have read yes and no on that?

The battery box may or may not be grounded well thru those steel collars Suzuki uses along with rubber pads apparently to soften the vibration to the battery.
                Dennco2
                1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

As long as the SH775 is secure with the zip ties, that’s fine. The RR is grounded with the black wire shown in Nessim’s diagram.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I think I am done wiring in the sh775 R/R. Fuel tank still off so not ready to test anything yet. Kinda scared I will see some smoke when I do.

Anyway I took a couple more pics of what I have done. I wire brushed paint off for my R/R grounding point which has 3 Ring connectors connecting the new R/R wire to the old wire harness ground and a large grounding cable connected to the SPG on the other side frame/engine. The positive red lead from the SH775 is connected to the old red harness wire I cut via a matching set of spade connectors male and female .... which connects to the fuse box and to the + side battery. Later, I want to clean up the positive terminal connection to the battery.

shin12.jpg
                    Last edited by dennco2; 07-18-2021, 12:01 AM.
                    Dennco2
                    1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The green wire goes straight to the neg side battery. The black ground wire goes to the grounding point to the new sh775 with 3 ring connectors.

shin7.jpg
                      Dennco2
                      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Again, no expert, but I don’t understand why all the grounding points.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
                          The green wire goes straight to the neg side battery. The black ground wire goes to the grounding point to the new sh775 with 3 ring connectors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63051[/ATTACH]

Like ! I like ground connections

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Again, no expert, but I don’t understand why all the grounding points.
                            I was trying to connect the sh775 ground lead to the ground wire in the wiring harness AND try to create a super robust grounding point with the grounding cable .... and hopefully lower my system ohms and raise system voltage. My replacement add on wires are only 16 gauge, so I was trying to keep them short in length .... and carry the current the rest of the way using way larger cable. If you see a flaw in my logic ... let me know.
                            Dennco2
                            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Again, I’m not an expert in this. And it’s highly likely I am wrong. Just seems to me you should be looking at creating fewer, not more ground mounting point at which your harness grounds, RR ground, engine ground come together.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

So you are suggesting the R/R grounding cable goes straight to the battery terminal ... instead of mating up with the other grounding (green) cable? I got inspired by your multiple SPG. Pic attached

.spg1.jpg
                                Dennco2
                                1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X